EV Restaurant

The Arches, 97-99 Isabella Street, Borough, London, SE1 8DA - View on a map

The deli is absolutely excellent for vegetarians and vegans - a delicious range of middle eastern foods from stuffed vine leaves to hummus to rice salads, with some amazing quiches, breads, cakes and so on.

They also do amazing Turkish coffee.

Highly recommended.

EV-fan
Friday, August 10, 2012

Crowded, tacky and badly prepared food.

Sometimes you get what you pay for; sometimes you get more than you bargained for.

In this case I got a 6 inch long string of very elastic squid membrane caught in my throat from the calamari ring I was trying to eat and was quickly choking. Fellow diners pummelled me on the back and I was able to get my fingers to the back of my throat and pull out what resembled a very long elastic band.

Management at the restaurant were of no help whatsoever and merely commented when shown the offending object that it was a natural part of the squid. It is, BUT GOOD RESTAURANTS REMOVE THE SQUID MEMBRANE BEFORE COOKING IT.

What about my fellow diners? The lamb steak with oregano was leather-tough, the Vina Esmeralda was served un-chilled, the lamb and herb patties were small, over-cooked and served with a very tired slop of chopped up salad.

Was anything good? Yes. Anything on the menu which is mass-produced so that it can be taken out of packet and micro waved, like the borek, falafel and baklava.

Our waitress was also very good, efficient and friendly

What about the final bill? Yes, that was reasonable. But in future I'll spend my money in Tas (The Cut), a much better bet.

Warthog