Galvin Bistrot de Luxe

66 Baker Street, Marylebone, London, W1U 7DJ - View on a map

Galvin Bistrot de Luxe Restaurant In London

Went back to Galvin last week after a few years. Everything was top class, food and service. Will be going back more often.

Fred
Friday, April 12, 2013

Went back after three years for a family lunch and the whole experience was top class. Great service, superb food, divine house Champagne and excellent Burgundy to follow. The snails were melt-in-the-mouth and the lamb main a triumph. Very hard to beat this place.

Toby Tucker
Friday, April 27, 2012

I moved into Marylebone last year and Galvins is on my doorstep. I have eaten there several times, different times of day and different days of the week and three times I have had a very poor experience due to the extreme slowness of the service. Last time I was there was the Friday before Christmas and we eventually gave up waiting for our main course and left. I would have expected the restaurant to have called with an apology as they have a very efficient database but no, not a word. I am not the only one to have left without eating. I was talking today to a colleague who felt the same as me and will not go back there. Such a shame. I love the ambiance but I will not tolerate this happening yet again.

Thursday, January 05, 2012

An impromptu Bank Holiday Monday dinner after a stroll around Marylebone was a most delightful, delicious end to the long weekend. It is seldom I will comment as I hate this new blogging idiom - so many very poorly written and ill judged pieces - but sometimes you just have to sing the praises of a restaurant. The cooking precise, the gentle shift in menu to late summer/early autumn, lovely wines by the glass, and a relaxed but confident service. What more can you ask. Well, for me it is to feel comfortable in a setting that is chic but not over-stylised, and a lovely buzz of conversation not interrupted by music nor hard noisy floors. What did we eat - a terrine, a well dressed green salad, a tranche of pink calve's liver, and the evening's special Duck Forestiere, finished off with Rum Baba and Creme Brulee. You may think this is a bit middle of the road, but food is all about good cooking, done simply and well judged. The wine choice was Chablis by the glass (refreshingly cold and dry), and a Cote du Rhone (dry and earthy). If I ate as well as this in Paris I would be exceedingly happy.

Ruth Meyers
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

very poor food - tried set menu - soup was tastelss custard - were it not for a dribble of truffle oil - supposed to be Vichyssoise with hard bits of leek.

followed by cod which was flakes of cod - not even salt cod - in a pile of mash

radler - View all reviews by this user
Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm glad to report that Galvin Bistro de Luxe is back on form after a poor year. It is hard to find such excellent food, friendly service and great ambience as a complete package in other London restaurants.

londongal - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cannot recommend Galvin enough. We visited last year with clients and like it so much we selected it as our "go-to" spot this year. Great food and great service. the Manager or owner or wine Steward (may have been all 3!) did a fabulous job helping us pick the wine. He even went as far as suggesting another wine to us (les sexpensive) then the one wew ordered! Portions were good and the "team" concept in service is well oiled. The desserts were great....accompanied by a good selection of Ports! We will keep it on our list.

Steve Collins
Monday, May 09, 2011

Tamarind and Thyme

Tamarind and Thyme

Friday, July 16, 2010 - Blai chose the bistro's famous Lasagne of Dorset Crab, Beurre Nantais for his starter. The little cylindrical lasagne sat in a large pool of the most exquisite beurre blanc which we wiped up with the warm bread provided. The silky sheets of pasta held together a rich mousse packed with crab...I had the Roast Wood Pigeon, Macaroni, Pancetta and Broad Beans. This was a more successful mixture with the richness of the game and the pancetta working well with the greenness of the broad beans.

London Eater

London Eater

Monday, January 04, 2010 - The Pithevier was stuffed to the brim with breasts of red leg partridge along with a good serving of foie gras and what appears to be cabbage. It came sliced down the middle and served with shallots and carrots, finished in a jus. Presentation wise, it was impressive. First of all, that glistening crust was a godsend. Really moist, buttery inside and crispy on the outside. It protected chunky partridge breasts, cooked to well done. Stuffed with foie gras for flavour, the dish was alot less gamey that I had expected.