The Lantern Taverna

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

I visited this taverna for lunch on a Sunday recently. I knew the previous owner had died but I had thought it was being run by other family members. Unfortunately it is just a completely diffierent place. It was somewhere we chose to go because of the lovely atmostphere and, having a young son, somewhere we could be accommodated easily. He loved the guitar player and all the decorations. The waiter who had been there for years used to remember us even if it had been 6 or 12 months since we last went. He made a fuss of my son which just added to his enjoyment.

This last visit was just not the same at all. I can't really criticise the food apart from it seems to be based more on Meze or (there was another word for lots of small portions of meat. veg or dips etc) rather than just a menu of starters and then main courses which I was expecting. The portions of homous and taramosalata etc were quite small (served on saucer) and previously we would have been served a plate of olives, tomatoes, chilllies etc along with some pitta bread whilst we were choosing our menu items.

We were offered an option of a platter of mixed meats /chicken for 2 of us which we shared with our son. We were told there would be plenty - and there was. It was nice enough. I can't say the food is not as good - it just doesn't 'seem' as nice.

I suppose all I can really say about it is that a restaurant (or taverna !) is not just about the food. Our waiter was nice and attentive but as a previous reviewer has said this restaurant has just lost its soul.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

What a mistake ... ! I remember the old taverna when it smelled of food once you entered through the door, going there back tonight just proved that new management is never a change for better.

Cutting to the chase - the taramasalata didn't have a smell, tasted of salted grease, similar to paraffin.

Moussaka - a complete disaster, tasteless, very salty, aubergines and courgettes undercooked, potatoes bland, hard and sour.

Avoid this establishment at all cost !!!

the bill for two was £43, worst £43 I have EVER spent !

Barbara Hudghas
Saturday, May 05, 2012

this place used to be the best Greek restaurant in west London - food / atmosphere and service. 5 years ago i was a regular.

unfortunately - you can hardly recognize the place anymore. anyone know what has happened? the food was ---- out of a tin (vine leaves anyway).

what a real shame

wont be going back

Monday, April 16, 2012

The service in this restaurant was as terrible as the food.

If Iceland supermarkets did a Greek, this would be the result as the food was of the same quality.

They would also do well changing their oil they use to deep fry the majority of the courses of their meze as it was visibly old (you can tell by how dark the result is when it comes out)

Arrive at 7pm they were bringing out food at gone 11pm

“This is what a meze is they said”

Err…no. People say they come here for the atmosphere however the atmosphere is what is created by the people around you, however you can take that atmosphere anywhere… somewhere with good food!

(Lemonia in Primrose hill is a prime example for ‘real’ greek food, cooked by chefs not KP’s)

Scottos Maximos
Sunday, March 11, 2012

We have been to the Lantern quite a few times in the past and always had a fantastic time and last night was no different, in fact we supplied the entertainment -- we went for my daughter's birthday and a couple of her friends could "belly dance" which they did quite a few times throughout the night. Only one comment regarding the food it was no where as good as it use to be in fact I have to say it was quite poor - but this did not spoil our evening everyone agreed we had a brilliant night - thank you.

Sharon Burch