Santa Maria del Sur

129 Queenstown Road, Battersea, London, SW8 3RH - View on a map
Telephone: 020 7622 2088

Santa Maria del Sur Restaurant In London

Santa Maria is one of local restaurants and I've held off going for a special occasion so we went tonight to celebrate a new job. Sadly our experience was not great and we left feeling disappointed and like we'd spent a lot on an unimpressive meal. The stand out parts of our meal were the salsa criolla and the smoked red pepper. We ordered chips - steak and chips being a winning combination - but they were overly large, under cooked and no better than what I can create myself at home. The steaks - the main feature of the meal - were perfectly good but didn't stand out for me or my partner, which was a real pity.

The service was the real downer for us. It felt like no effort was made to put us at ease or help us answer questions about the menu. When we asked for an aperitif that wasn't available, there was no suggestion of what else might be unavailable ("we've only got the mojito" was the exact phrase), and no alternatives were suggested despite asking for help. We felt rushed and like we were in the way.

We're big fans of London steak restaurants but sadly can't recommend our local. Back to Hawksmoor Air Street for us.

Fiona McKenzie
Saturday, April 05, 2014

My favourite restaurant in the world. Have been going here since before it was made famous by Gordon Ramsay's show. It never fails to deliver the best steak in London (better than most I've had in Argentina too), with beautiful, huge hunks of meat cooked perfectly. You don't go here for anything else. The sides are reliable yummy stalwarts - fat crispy papas fritas and mushrooms do the trick; start with mojellas (sweetbreads) - scrumptious. The house malbec (La Colonia) is spot on. The prices are still far below other big London steak restaurants, the service and atmosphere is always far above. Does what it says on the tin.

One note of caution to the restaurant: my last visit (11/05/12) saw the introduction of a fancy red pepper puree arty smear rather than the classic and simple slice of pepper. Looked like they were trying too hard. Not what you go to Santa Maria for - keep it simple.

Rupert Lane - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, May 12, 2012

Been meaning to go here for ages and did so earlier in the week. What can I say? What we ordered read on the menu as Ribeye steak, however what we ate and tasted was hitherto unknown!!! By the end of the evening, 3 of us had consumed 6 Ribeye's! This was my Everest. If I find anything that can surpass this - Lord take me in that very moment!!!

Hassan
Saturday, February 11, 2012

We had lunch at Santa Maria shared a platter of sirloin, rib eye, sausages and black pudding. All of the components were delicious as was the cheese that came on the griddle. Admittedly, it was a little pricey but not compared to some steakhouses in the centre of town(Charterhouse for example).

There are negative comments on here about the quality of the meat. These are absolute nonsense and should be ignored. The steaks came exactly how we asked for them.

Dominic