The Albion

10 Thornhill Road, Islington, London, N1 1HW - View on a map

The Albion Restaurant In London

A thoroughly disappointing lunch which started with high expectations. Having had a super Sunday lunch some time ago we booked but this time for Saturday lunch. My wife had Winter Vegetable pie with Stilton and I had Lamb Hotpot. The pie was reasonable apart from a lack of any taste of stilton. The hotpot was a rip-off. £16 for a tiny portion. The waitress said they had had other complaints about the portion size. It tasted fine but how anyone could think that was a main course worth £16 I'll never know. We won't be going back!

Jon
Saturday, February 23, 2013

Light, relaxing and well inhabited interior and atmosphere seemed appropriate for this evening. Place to relax after intense working day. Organic and sustainable approach to restaurant`s menu. Meat for the steak seemed less fresh with average French fries. Additional salads or better cutlery could make this dish more tasteful.

ana
Thursday, April 19, 2012

Four of us booked and visited the Albion for lunch on saturday. Upon arrival we were shown to our table and we reviewed the menu. My girlfriend is 9 months pregant and a vegetarian therefore we expected that she would have limited choice. The menu did not contain a dish that she could eat because the two vege dishes contained stilton or goats cheese.

We asked the waitress if the chef could suggest anything or could the cheese be replaced for a cheese that she could eat. She had to to & from from the kitchen a few times and came back suggesting the stilton pie and we had to remind her for the third time that she could not eat this. The manageress then took over and suggested an omelette which is a really sensible suggestion when your pregnant! It seems that it is not possible for the chef to produce anything other than what is on the menu, he could not suggest anything and was not prepared to move on this position which does not inspire me that they care about service or the local pregnant community of which there are many couples expecting in Islington.

Two starters were then placed on the table and we were then informed that the rabit starter was off so a member of our party had to go without with no other choice offered.

My pregnant girlfriend was then offered a glass of wine, twice, when we had told the waitress 4 times that she was pregnant.

I am unsure where they are recruiting their staff but they seem to be completely unqualified for the role in hand from the chef downwards.

This is a real shame because we have been here about 6-8 times since it re-opened and thought it was great, i suggest that they look to train the staff that they have to do the job that the owners wish them to do.

Steve - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, February 07, 2012

I visited the Albion last week with my husband. I have eaten there before and had some good food . However on this occasion our steak was the chewiest fattiest most tasteless cut of meat I have ever eaten. Really sad to have been such bad quality of food in a place that should really be serving up decent food. Much better places to visit in north london for good food, so as we say in Australia I shall vote with my feet and not be giving the Albion any more of my hard earned cash.

lisa - View all reviews by this user
Monday, January 23, 2012

I went to eat at the Albion last night with a party of 10 and was shocked at how poor the service was. Our food took over an hour to come, which was ridiculous as we were all having steaks or burgers. When it did come, it came out in drips and drabs, with staff needing repetitive reminders about what was missing. The food was not cooked to order (steaks were all under done). The staff were rude and confrontational.

It's such as shame, as the Albion has a lot of charm and could be an amazing place if they got their service right. I certainly won't be eating there again considering there are loads of great options nearby.

Gordon Hewitt