Wong Kei

41-43 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PY - View on a map

Been going there for years, food was always tasty, service was fast and it was great value for money, went last week, new menu, new prices, new staff and obviously new chef! My salt and chile pork chop tasted nothing like it used to.

Food was very average and prices have gone up and portions are much smaller, won't be going again!

Monday, March 24, 2014

IT WAS GREAT RESTAURANT BUT NOW THEY HAVE CHANGED MANAGEMENT AND IS RUBBISH!!!!! Food is not tasty at all. I used to go there (since 10 years) with friend every weekend for crispy duck with plum sauce on sour cabbage, lettuce, prawns crackers. Now for the same price you have just duck with something what even doesn't taste like previous plum sauce.. Sweet corn crab soup - just disgusting!

I would be happy to paid a bit more, but for the same quality and good taste food.

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH NEW MANAGMENT! Really pity because we not going to come back there.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Since 1996 I am eating twice a week in Wong Kei. quality and price always a strong point, since the re-open became horrible, changed the waiters, food changed and also the way of work. I don't think this restaurant will succeed under new management. the waiters stay speaking between then and they are not good enough for the job/task. Since I was young I being eating chinese food, and I use to say that Wong Kei was really good food about (8/10). Service efficient and fast (6/10) and Atmosphere I don't mind is not a date only food an value for money (10/10) . "you never change a winning team" - why?

Marcos - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oh dear what a tranformation. Expected to see at least one improvement but all we found was the following

1 new menu, new higher prices

2 staff not able to get more than 50per cent of orders correct

3 saw so many meals returned as order wrongly taken

4 tea too strong, almost impossible to drink

So after more than 30 years using this restaurant every week, will now have to move on to somewhere else

Geoff calver
Sunday, March 09, 2014

I have been eating here since 1980 and it is one of my favourite places to eat in London. Itís about as near as youíre going to get to a Hong Kong cafe. The menu has been the same for as long as I can remember and the food is great as is the value for money. If you want please and thank you, go somewhere else though lately you do sometimes get a good bye when you are bundled out the door. Communal tables, cash only, the best Singapore fried noodles in the UK and if you really want, a waiters t-shirt on the way out (extra of course). What more could you want. My kids have been going all their lives and itís the first place they want to go to when visiting London. Enjoy.

Monday, February 24, 2014

I love this restaurant. Decor naff and shabby but it makes up on the food and the service front. When I saw Chinese people eating in this restaurant I knew it was a goer.

We are English, living in the south of France and popped back to the UK for some Christmas shopping. All we wanted was a 'GOOD' Chinese and we got it.

The three of us had the set menu for three @ £14.95 per head. Green tea brought to the table while deciding what you want to order.

1. Big sesame prawn toasts, seaweed, spring rolls and chili chicken wings.

2. Crispy duck with pancakes and all the trimmings - we couldn't finish all the duck.

3. Egg fried rice, chicken & cashew, chili beef, stir fried veg and chicken & pineapple

It was FANTASTIC and having a slight insight as I have travelled extensively in the Far East it's good praise indeed for the UK.

As I mentioned before the decor is shabby but the food great.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, February 01, 2010 - When a few of my mates suggested meeting up, all one of my friends had to do was utter the 'c' word and we headed straight for Wardour Street. That's really where the nostalgia ends. The main draw for me was always the luscious gravy they poured over the meat to loosen and lubricate the dish, where most restaurants scatter a watery dribble over their roast meats. However, on this visit, It was overly sweet and over powered the still high quality roast meat underneath. Don't get me wrong, still good but the thing that made it great just so happened to leave a disappointing taste in my mouth.