Wong Kei

41-43 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PY - View on a map

Everything has changed and not for the better. Staff used to pretend to be rude but provided great service and food was always value and unique tasting. I've been eating here every month since 1976. Under new owners everything has gone to pot. Staff can't cope and are trying their best to be offensive. Slow and messed up orders are one thing. Poor food is something else and I never expected this from Wong Kei. Wonton soup far too salty and mean portion. Meat is tough and again less of it for a higher price. I need to find a new favourite place to eat. I don't want to go back to Wong Kei.

John S
Thursday, March 27, 2014

Been going there for years, food was always tasty, service was fast and it was great value for money, went last week, new menu, new prices, new staff and obviously new chef! My salt and chile pork chop tasted nothing like it used to.

Food was very average and prices have gone up and portions are much smaller, won't be going again!

Monday, March 24, 2014

IT WAS GREAT RESTAURANT BUT NOW THEY HAVE CHANGED MANAGEMENT AND IS RUBBISH!!!!! Food is not tasty at all. I used to go there (since 10 years) with friend every weekend for crispy duck with plum sauce on sour cabbage, lettuce, prawns crackers. Now for the same price you have just duck with something what even doesn't taste like previous plum sauce.. Sweet corn crab soup - just disgusting!

I would be happy to paid a bit more, but for the same quality and good taste food.

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH NEW MANAGMENT! Really pity because we not going to come back there.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Since 1996 I am eating twice a week in Wong Kei. quality and price always a strong point, since the re-open became horrible, changed the waiters, food changed and also the way of work. I don't think this restaurant will succeed under new management. the waiters stay speaking between then and they are not good enough for the job/task. Since I was young I being eating chinese food, and I use to say that Wong Kei was really good food about (8/10). Service efficient and fast (6/10) and Atmosphere I don't mind is not a date only food an value for money (10/10) . "you never change a winning team" - why?

Marcos - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oh dear what a tranformation. Expected to see at least one improvement but all we found was the following

1 new menu, new higher prices

2 staff not able to get more than 50per cent of orders correct

3 saw so many meals returned as order wrongly taken

4 tea too strong, almost impossible to drink

So after more than 30 years using this restaurant every week, will now have to move on to somewhere else

Geoff calver
Sunday, March 09, 2014

I have been eating here since 1980 and it is one of my favourite places to eat in London. Itís about as near as youíre going to get to a Hong Kong cafe. The menu has been the same for as long as I can remember and the food is great as is the value for money. If you want please and thank you, go somewhere else though lately you do sometimes get a good bye when you are bundled out the door. Communal tables, cash only, the best Singapore fried noodles in the UK and if you really want, a waiters t-shirt on the way out (extra of course). What more could you want. My kids have been going all their lives and itís the first place they want to go to when visiting London. Enjoy.

Stephen
Monday, February 24, 2014

I love this restaurant. Decor naff and shabby but it makes up on the food and the service front. When I saw Chinese people eating in this restaurant I knew it was a goer.

We are English, living in the south of France and popped back to the UK for some Christmas shopping. All we wanted was a 'GOOD' Chinese and we got it.

The three of us had the set menu for three @ £14.95 per head. Green tea brought to the table while deciding what you want to order.

1. Big sesame prawn toasts, seaweed, spring rolls and chili chicken wings.

2. Crispy duck with pancakes and all the trimmings - we couldn't finish all the duck.

3. Egg fried rice, chicken & cashew, chili beef, stir fried veg and chicken & pineapple

It was FANTASTIC and having a slight insight as I have travelled extensively in the Far East it's good praise indeed for the UK.

As I mentioned before the decor is shabby but the food great.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did

Minnie.fr
Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I was introduced to Wong Kei's restaurant in 1979 and have been going about twice a year since, or when ever I am in London. Now I go with my children, who also love eating here.

As others have said the service is efficient, rather than rude, I have never waited longer than 10 minutes for the food to arrive, always hot and never a mistake.

I love the jasmine tea, which as someone else advised just leave the lid up, when you need a refill. For me the fact that is is always full of local Chinese people tells me that the food is good.

The prices have remained low and the food, despite the comments of a few has never disappointed me. I envisage going here until, either it closes down, which would be awful, or I pop my clogs.

Upstairs, downstairs anyone?

Julia - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I've been going there for yonks and it never lets me down.

I love the fact that the staff dont care about you, but it's great food and great value for money. I have had many a fork thrown at me when asking for one and asking for it on purpose so they can give me this sort of service.

It's like a comedy show sometimes and something different at the end of the day, who want's to be treated like a king all the time, with all this politeness...not me.

You know what to expect when you enter and it's great to go back each time.

I will never change restaurants and will always go back no matter what.

Del Reeve
Thursday, August 22, 2013

I have been taking groups here for yonks. I soon learned the way to eat well is to slam £100 cash on an empty table and say "Feed Us!", (five persons). Don't bother with the menu, there'll be an incessant delivery of small dishes to the never-empty table containing God knows what, some you'll like and some you won't but you can all dip in to each one. Don't imagine you'll go away hungry, there'll be dozens of servings.

You can insist your group doesn't get split up, this might mean going upstairs to a small room but they do want your money.

Monday, July 29, 2013

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, February 01, 2010 - When a few of my mates suggested meeting up, all one of my friends had to do was utter the 'c' word and we headed straight for Wardour Street. That's really where the nostalgia ends. The main draw for me was always the luscious gravy they poured over the meat to loosen and lubricate the dish, where most restaurants scatter a watery dribble over their roast meats. However, on this visit, It was overly sweet and over powered the still high quality roast meat underneath. Don't get me wrong, still good but the thing that made it great just so happened to leave a disappointing taste in my mouth.