Wong Kei

41-43 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PY - View on a map

do not go!!

Waiters and managers are rude and treat you like an animal.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Seen quite a few unfair reviews on this site - yes the pork is cold pork on hot rice (as it says on the menu) this is how its served. Yes the egg is some dishes is undercooked - its meant to be . . . this food is authentic.

So went there on Sunday - Chinese New Years Celebrations still going on - the queues to get in were long which shows how popular this place is. It was buzzing - very crowded.

The Service as always is quick and efficient, the Won Ton Ho Fun Noodle soup is prob the best you can get in any restaurant, my son's pork chop on rice was excellent and the Deep Fried Squid with Chili and Salt was eaten in about 3 mins by all of us - The Food is excellent (for people that understand it) and the Service is quick and efficient.

To be honest, they don't really care about your negative reviews as this place is always popular and quite often filled to capacity and offers the best value chinese food in London (no dodgy buffet style service here) . . if you don't think the staff have a sense of humour go in wearing a wong kei t shirt and see the results!

Michael H - View all reviews by this user
Monday, February 15, 2016

Visited Wong Kei tonight with a group of our friends from Germany. We did have to blag our way in to book a table for 10. We ordered our meals which then came to us after 45 mins, two of us had to make a big deal that our meals were not ready. The staff who were very busy apologised and after another 10 mins we were served cold meals, we complained and were told that the food should be served that way, when we challenged them the waiter got aggressive. The food quality was poor, the staff were very busy and over run. This meal brought our night to an early finish and we will not be going again.

Dean Turner
Saturday, January 16, 2016

I have been visiting Wong Kei for the past 20 years and have always enjoyed the food. Since moving out of London I was unable to visit as often as I used to. The last visit was a couple of years ago and the food tasted good. Yesterday my family went to the theatre and my husband and I thought it would be great to visit Wong Kei. The food looked absolutely awful. I notified the waiter and he insisted on calling the manager. What transpired was unbelievable and to cut a long story short we will never be visiting WK again. Disgusting stale food.

SC - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, February 05, 2015

When this first changed ownership the quality dropped dramatically and I was quick to slate the place on any review site I could find.

A few months in though and it's improved no end, surpassing the previous owners in some ways, even if portion sizes may have shrunk a bit (and prices risen 20-30p), even if I miss certain things (no pig stomach in the assorted meat noodles any more :( ).

I'm back to visiting once or twice a week now.

Cooking The Books - View all reviews by this user
Friday, October 03, 2014

Standard of the food since the change over has gone down and smaller portion. Please watch your change and know your total. The waiters tend to over charge or short change.

Annette Kay
Sunday, July 06, 2014

I have been a customer for about 20 years and had never had a bad meal until the recent closure and changes in about March / April 2014.

I've stopped going.

Two examples of loss of quality are:

Roast duck: once succulent but now pretty hard going and lacking in taste.....but the portions do now seem bigger.

Fish slices with aubergine: once exquisite but now fish pieces are heavily breaded and not recognisable as fish....could be anything.

David Hutchins
Thursday, May 22, 2014

Following the last review on L-E, I ordered a plate of bitter-gourd with tofu over rice and the tofu turned out sour and stale. When I complained, the waiter justified by saying the tofu tends to be sour. Brilliant. I've never eaten sour tofu. Told them to bring the dish back for the chef to taste. They came out apologising and did not charge me for the dish. Highly disappointing quality of dishes that are also priced at least 10% more are being served by one of the oldest establishments in Chinatown W End under the new Malaysian owners. Yes, you've lost another loyal customer today. Good bye.

Boliao - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, May 15, 2014

I have been going to the Wong Kei for 30 years and loved the food and atmosphere for all that time. In March I went back after it was closed only to find the menu had changed (hard copy), a little surprised as they have always have had a red menu. The black T-shirts with upstairs, downstairs have also gone which is the Wong Kei trade mark. There seems to be a change of ownership and for that reason the quality of the food is not up to the high standard it once was.

Sorry you have lost another customer, please bring back the old staff, red menus, t-shirts, and lastly and more importantly the tasty food.

Very soon please.

Patrick Riley
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Everything has changed and not for the better. Staff used to pretend to be rude but provided great service and food was always value and unique tasting. I've been eating here every month since 1976. Under new owners everything has gone to pot. Staff can't cope and are trying their best to be offensive. Slow and messed up orders are one thing. Poor food is something else and I never expected this from Wong Kei. Wonton soup far too salty and mean portion. Meat is tough and again less of it for a higher price. I need to find a new favourite place to eat. I don't want to go back to Wong Kei.

John S
Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, February 01, 2010 - When a few of my mates suggested meeting up, all one of my friends had to do was utter the 'c' word and we headed straight for Wardour Street. That's really where the nostalgia ends. The main draw for me was always the luscious gravy they poured over the meat to loosen and lubricate the dish, where most restaurants scatter a watery dribble over their roast meats. However, on this visit, It was overly sweet and over powered the still high quality roast meat underneath. Don't get me wrong, still good but the thing that made it great just so happened to leave a disappointing taste in my mouth.