Wong Kei

41-43 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1D 6PY - View on a map

When this first changed ownership the quality dropped dramatically and I was quick to slate the place on any review site I could find.

A few months in though and it's improved no end, surpassing the previous owners in some ways, even if portion sizes may have shrunk a bit (and prices risen 20-30p), even if I miss certain things (no pig stomach in the assorted meat noodles any more :( ).

I'm back to visiting once or twice a week now.

Cooking The Books - View all reviews by this user
Friday, October 03, 2014

Standard of the food since the change over has gone down and smaller portion. Please watch your change and know your total. The waiters tend to over charge or short change.

Annette Kay
Sunday, July 06, 2014

I have been a customer for about 20 years and had never had a bad meal until the recent closure and changes in about March / April 2014.

I've stopped going.

Two examples of loss of quality are:

Roast duck: once succulent but now pretty hard going and lacking in taste.....but the portions do now seem bigger.

Fish slices with aubergine: once exquisite but now fish pieces are heavily breaded and not recognisable as fish....could be anything.

David Hutchins
Thursday, May 22, 2014

Following the last review on L-E, I ordered a plate of bitter-gourd with tofu over rice and the tofu turned out sour and stale. When I complained, the waiter justified by saying the tofu tends to be sour. Brilliant. I've never eaten sour tofu. Told them to bring the dish back for the chef to taste. They came out apologising and did not charge me for the dish. Highly disappointing quality of dishes that are also priced at least 10% more are being served by one of the oldest establishments in Chinatown W End under the new Malaysian owners. Yes, you've lost another loyal customer today. Good bye.

Boliao - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, May 15, 2014

I have been going to the Wong Kei for 30 years and loved the food and atmosphere for all that time. In March I went back after it was closed only to find the menu had changed (hard copy), a little surprised as they have always have had a red menu. The black T-shirts with upstairs, downstairs have also gone which is the Wong Kei trade mark. There seems to be a change of ownership and for that reason the quality of the food is not up to the high standard it once was.

Sorry you have lost another customer, please bring back the old staff, red menus, t-shirts, and lastly and more importantly the tasty food.

Very soon please.

Patrick Riley
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Everything has changed and not for the better. Staff used to pretend to be rude but provided great service and food was always value and unique tasting. I've been eating here every month since 1976. Under new owners everything has gone to pot. Staff can't cope and are trying their best to be offensive. Slow and messed up orders are one thing. Poor food is something else and I never expected this from Wong Kei. Wonton soup far too salty and mean portion. Meat is tough and again less of it for a higher price. I need to find a new favourite place to eat. I don't want to go back to Wong Kei.

John S
Thursday, March 27, 2014

Been going there for years, food was always tasty, service was fast and it was great value for money, went last week, new menu, new prices, new staff and obviously new chef! My salt and chile pork chop tasted nothing like it used to.

Food was very average and prices have gone up and portions are much smaller, won't be going again!

Monday, March 24, 2014

IT WAS GREAT RESTAURANT BUT NOW THEY HAVE CHANGED MANAGEMENT AND IS RUBBISH!!!!! Food is not tasty at all. I used to go there (since 10 years) with friend every weekend for crispy duck with plum sauce on sour cabbage, lettuce, prawns crackers. Now for the same price you have just duck with something what even doesn't taste like previous plum sauce.. Sweet corn crab soup - just disgusting!

I would be happy to paid a bit more, but for the same quality and good taste food.

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH NEW MANAGMENT! Really pity because we not going to come back there.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Since 1996 I am eating twice a week in Wong Kei. quality and price always a strong point, since the re-open became horrible, changed the waiters, food changed and also the way of work. I don't think this restaurant will succeed under new management. the waiters stay speaking between then and they are not good enough for the job/task. Since I was young I being eating chinese food, and I use to say that Wong Kei was really good food about (8/10). Service efficient and fast (6/10) and Atmosphere I don't mind is not a date only food an value for money (10/10) . "you never change a winning team" - why?

Marcos - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oh dear what a tranformation. Expected to see at least one improvement but all we found was the following

1 new menu, new higher prices

2 staff not able to get more than 50per cent of orders correct

3 saw so many meals returned as order wrongly taken

4 tea too strong, almost impossible to drink

So after more than 30 years using this restaurant every week, will now have to move on to somewhere else

Geoff calver
Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, February 01, 2010 - When a few of my mates suggested meeting up, all one of my friends had to do was utter the 'c' word and we headed straight for Wardour Street. That's really where the nostalgia ends. The main draw for me was always the luscious gravy they poured over the meat to loosen and lubricate the dish, where most restaurants scatter a watery dribble over their roast meats. However, on this visit, It was overly sweet and over powered the still high quality roast meat underneath. Don't get me wrong, still good but the thing that made it great just so happened to leave a disappointing taste in my mouth.