Akari Japanese Kitchen and Bar

196 Essex Road, Islington, London, N1 8LZ - View on a map

The worst service ever.

The food wasn't very nice, but the services was really terrible. The staff had no understanding of japanese food. The lady that seemed to be in charge was very unfriendly. I would not go and eat here.

Angelique - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

We had the seaweed salad which we thought was very nice, followed by chirashi which was presented nicely, but we felt the portion was extremely small compared to other Japanese restaurants we have visited in the past. In addition, we ordered a tuna special from the menu. Unfortunately, it was a little overcooked and some parts of the dish was very salty. We wouldn't recommend it. We finished off our meal with the pudding and cheesecake. Neither was really worth mentioning or worth reordering in the future.

Overall, the salad and chirashi was nice, although a little small, the other dishes were not worth the money.

Food aside, I felt the service we received was below par. We asked the waitress for recommendations and she could not give us a straight answer. All she said was, everything is nice. I asked her for a description of the desserts and she said the pudding was traditional. I asked her for more details, she said wobbly... I had to ignore everything she said and made up my own mind.

We noticed the staff were very clumsy and did not seem to know what they were doing. The waitress spilt the soya sauce, she poured tea outside the cup over the table, she nearly dropped the dessert, she gave us two plates of soya sauce each and did not give us any wasabi to go with the chirashi and to top things off, she bought the base plate for the dessert after she put our dessert down...total chaos.

When we went to pay the bill, we asked for the bill to be split in half. After we paid, I noticed that she had overcharged us by rounding the bill up - this isn't what we asked her to do.

We called her over and explained that we were not happy that this act had taken place as it was dishonest, esp as they had already taken 10% service charge. She said she did not understand why we were unhappy. She said the bill was hard to split in half (it wasn't, she only had to halve it), she also said that they always did that to all their customers, but we were the first people to complain...she then proceeded to rant at us and said it wasn't a lot of money (it was 98p), we said that wasn't the point and we weren't after a refund, we just wanted to point out that it was a bad way to do business esp when they had already charged service charge. She then very rudely said to us we could have our pound back. But we didn't take it as just wanted to get out of there as she was starting to get hostile.

It's fair to say that we will not be returning and if you have any common sense, I wouldn't bother going there either. There are much better Japanese restaurants around London and this is def one to add on to my black list. Unprofessional staff and average to low quality food. Absolute disappointment.

DP