Masaledar

121 Upper Tooting Road, London, SW17 7TJ - View on a map

Worst Indian food I've ever eaten, with appalling service to boot. So bad I felt compelled to write a review to warn off others. Wish I'd read others first - seems that the takeaway is terrible, but the restaurant might be okay.

Firstly, it took 1hr 20mins to arrive, then to the wrong address, and then when I took the paper bag out of the plastic bag, everything collapsed onto the table. The bottom of the paper bag was so soaked in oil that all the food fell through.

I've never seen so much oil. All the food was vacuum sealed and the plastic amplified the oil swimming at the top. Everything was cold. There was little meat with the bulk of each dish made up of gloopy sauce. The signature lamb dish was an odd grey colour, and tasted just as it looked. The pilau rice was an extraordinary colour (also grey) and lumpy. The paratha tasted like a wet flannel. To be fair the aubergine dish was fairly tasty. Everything was just hugely disappointing. It was also more expensive than other Indian places.

I thought I'd approach them for an explanation, so I called them to discuss, asking if I could speak to the manager (or even get an email address so I could write in). The guy said he'd call me back "within two nights". Never heard back.

We recently tried Namada in Southfields, and it was fresh, tasty, delicious - everything that Masaledar isn't.

James
Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I have tried this restaurant many times over the last 10 years hoping that there will be a change of management and therefore a change in service but every single time it has been awful.

Went there Thursday night with 4 other friends. Choosing from the menu was difficult, the lighting is useless. I understand romantic, mood lighting can enhance the dining experience but this was ridiculous. We ordered and one of our party has allergies to tomatoes and she made this very clear in a polite way. She did not ask for anything to be cooked without tomato, just a confirmation of the dishes which did not have any in them. We waited an hour and a half for the food to arrive.

The side dishes we ordered all had tomato in them, which the surly waiter confirmed AFTER they had arrived. My friend then asked for some raita which arrived and the waiter informed her that there was tomato in it. I then asked if we could have some raita without tomato - he then informed me (I am Indian) "that this is Indian food and there is always tomato in it". No dear, not in raita which is yoghurt and cucumber, occasionally with a cumin or chilli garnish. If you are going to be condescending make sure you get your facts straight. He then turned up after I had asked him nicely, with some yoghurt with huge chunks of cucumber in it. It looked like he had thrown it together.

The staff were all dismissive and surly apart from one female who did her best to help. If any of you staff members are reading this take lessons from her on customer service.

The food is very average, nothing more than your local curry house, and to be honest, elsewhere in Tooting you can get much better. seriously, go somewhere else, ANYWHERE else!

Friday, December 20, 2013