Masaledar

121 Upper Tooting Road, London, SW17 7TJ - View on a map

Worst Indian food I've ever eaten, with appalling service to boot. So bad I felt compelled to write a review to warn off others. Wish I'd read others first - seems that the takeaway is terrible, but the restaurant might be okay.

Firstly, it took 1hr 20mins to arrive, then to the wrong address, and then when I took the paper bag out of the plastic bag, everything collapsed onto the table. The bottom of the paper bag was so soaked in oil that all the food fell through.

I've never seen so much oil. All the food was vacuum sealed and the plastic amplified the oil swimming at the top. Everything was cold. There was little meat with the bulk of each dish made up of gloopy sauce. The signature lamb dish was an odd grey colour, and tasted just as it looked. The pilau rice was an extraordinary colour (also grey) and lumpy. The paratha tasted like a wet flannel. To be fair the aubergine dish was fairly tasty. Everything was just hugely disappointing. It was also more expensive than other Indian places.

I thought I'd approach them for an explanation, so I called them to discuss, asking if I could speak to the manager (or even get an email address so I could write in). The guy said he'd call me back "within two nights". Never heard back.

We recently tried Namada in Southfields, and it was fresh, tasty, delicious - everything that Masaledar isn't.

James