Babur Restaurant

119 Brockley Rise, Forest Hill, London, SE23 1JP - View on a map

Babur Restaurant Restaurant In London

I found the restaurant had a nice friendly atmosphere but the food was extremely bland for an Indian restaurant. I can only assume both me and my partner had made bad choices with our dishes because we were both disappointed.

Maria - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, November 23, 2013

There are a lot of reasons why I love living in Honor Oak and Babur is one of them. The food really is special, more like gourmet Indian home cooking than run-of-the-mill Indian restaurants. Its a short menu but with a lot of variety and so theres always something that hits the spot I really like the gutsy steamed shoulder of lamb. The wines punch well above their weight for a neighbourhood Indian and its always a struggle to have just one cocktail to start off with. I really love it.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

I have lived in the Brockley area for almost 30 years. I moved here just after Babur Restaurant opened for business. One of my neighbours asked me if I had eaten there. New to the area I said no and so she immediately introduced me to an entire new world of superb Indian Mogul cuisine. That was all a long time ago. Now I have a family that is all grown up. Through the years we have eaten and enjoyed endless takeaways and far too many to mention children's birthday parties in their delightful restaurant.

Then last year thing started to go wrong. No more did they have the time to tell us about their new menus or dishes. Parts of meals just didn't arrive at our table or at our house. Gone was the usual polite and informative telesales clerks. The waiters could no longer be bothered to make dining there the culinary experience it once had been. No more could we delight in the dishes as time after time dishes had to be either returned to the kitchen or if delivered to our house collected by courier for return to the restaurant.

It was very unpleasant. Some of the dishes had a vile stink. Just the opening of the lid on some of the boxes was enough for one member of my family to start retching. We were forced to grovel for refunds or discounts off our next meal. The meals had in part become inedible. God knows why but for some reason we persisted. Perhaps we just couldn't believe what was really happening.

Then last night all that changed. The meal they delivered to my house from the restaurant was the final straw. My family and I ate our last Babur Indian meal. The food containers were split. The food was splashed down the insides of the carrier bags - it looked like a dogs dinner. My daughter commented it was an atrocious way to present a meal from a well known, even renowned restaurant. Inside the bags oils and sauces had mixed into the rice containers. The food was delivered at an inedible temperature -only warm not hot. It appeared the bags had been dropped en route to our house. It was all a disgusting mess.

The Tandoori dish we ordered - a Mixed Grill always such a delight for my children was small, of poor quality meat, without the major ingredients and contained one shish barely cooked inside. All in all a dish that had been a joy to feats upon was now hardly edible.

The meal had been prebooked by me as guests were expected. The meal arrived late and without any apology. It was over 17 minutes late despite having prebooked the delivery slot more than one and a half hours in advance.

The poppadums were soft . They were not freshly cooked that day. The kitchen had not even bothered or dare I say thought to reheat them to crispness. The meal approached £70 in value - a meal from Babur is never cheap - it was always a luxury but one we have previously always thoroughly enjoyed and thought a worthwhile dining experience. No more.

Today I tried to complain to the manager but was curtly and in very broken English told by the man who happened to pick up the phone the manager was not there and that he wouldn't be in till tomorrow after 2:00PM.

I count myself lucky in that I have now given up with this restaurant. Having remained loyal at all times, despite the dire food and the measly refunds and teeny discounts I have had enough. The most shocking thing is that throughout all the complaints over the last couple of years and my continued patronage no one from the restaurant ever even thought to offer any sort of apology for the dire food and service we received.

With a sad heart I now have now decided never again will I or my family and my guests have to endure their second rate, poor quality, barely warm, spilt and to be perfectly honest - rank food.

I can still recall reading Fay Maschler, the then Evening Standard's food critic, glowing review as my wife and I waited with growing excitement for our very first Babur meal. It was a wonderful dining experience and remained just that for many happy years just as Fay promised it would be "Babur Restaurant the best Indian south of the river " and it was then. But not today.

This restaurant and take away service is one to avoid at all costs.

Friday, October 04, 2013

I first went to this restaurant in 2006, back then it was quite new and when I went with my date, we were the only diners in there and it was the weekend!! The food was lovely back then.

Tonight I dined there for the first time since 2006 and the food is still phenomenal!! The service was the dog's b, they got my friends starter wrong (waiter misheard), they didn't hesitate in changing it and gave us the 'wrong' starter for free as a goodwill gesture on top of still making her correct starter in speedy time.

As with most posh restaurants, the portion isn't big but I was comfortably full on 2 courses.

Considering it's location (outside central london and not even on a main busy/commercial highstreet) I thought the price were on the higher end of the scale but the food was fresh and it is worth treating yourself to.
View/Add comments (1)

Sophie
Friday, April 05, 2013

Went there to eat on Wednesday, mackerel starter with lamb marinaded for 100 hours for a main course.

Sorry to say that whilst the presentation was lovely, and I can see what they're trying to do with the food, it was just overpriced and bland.

Like I said, all beautifully presented and explained well by the waiters, but I've never come across such bland flavouring.

The best way I can describe it is that it's Indian food for people who don't really like Indian food. Let alone the fact that a main with a side or 2 comes in at 18-20 quid, and starters range from £6.50-9. Very disappointing.

ted
Friday, March 08, 2013

Just came out from the restaurant!!!

What a fanastic dinner, buzzy atmosphere, i guess it is because is saturday. All so good!

Me and my partner arrived without a booking and the manager was so nice to seat us at the entrance and check if there was any table availaible, and after not long we had our table, not the best in the venue, but absolutely fine, we didnt book!

The waiter arrived and served us all dinner long in such good and natural way!

We choosed main courses and side dishes, mine suggested from the waiter,

The dishes were absolutely astonishng, all for presentation and taste!

Absolutely happy about them! Not many words to describe them!

I definitely suggest this restaurant!

My compliments, and lovely clean toilets with handtowel cream and soap!

It is a place to experience if you love indian restaurant. Thank you Babur!

Luigi