Babur Restaurant

119 Brockley Rise, Forest Hill, London, SE23 1JP - View on a map

Babur Restaurant Restaurant In London

I found the restaurant had a nice friendly atmosphere but the food was extremely bland for an Indian restaurant. I can only assume both me and my partner had made bad choices with our dishes because we were both disappointed.

Maria - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, November 23, 2013

There are a lot of reasons why I love living in Honor Oak and Babur is one of them. The food really is special, more like gourmet Indian home cooking than run-of-the-mill Indian restaurants. Its a short menu but with a lot of variety and so theres always something that hits the spot I really like the gutsy steamed shoulder of lamb. The wines punch well above their weight for a neighbourhood Indian and its always a struggle to have just one cocktail to start off with. I really love it.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

I have lived in the Brockley area for almost 30 years. I moved here just after Babur Restaurant opened for business. One of my neighbours asked me if I had eaten there. New to the area I said no and so she immediately introduced me to an entire new world of superb Indian Mogul cuisine. That was all a long time ago. Now I have a family that is all grown up. Through the years we have eaten and enjoyed endless takeaways and far too many to mention children's birthday parties in their delightful restaurant.

Then last year thing started to go wrong. No more did they have the time to tell us about their new menus or dishes. Parts of meals just didn't arrive at our table or at our house. Gone was the usual polite and informative telesales clerks. The waiters could no longer be bothered to make dining there the culinary experience it once had been. No more could we delight in the dishes as time after time dishes had to be either returned to the kitchen or if delivered to our house collected by courier for return to the restaurant.

It was very unpleasant. Some of the dishes had a vile stink. Just the opening of the lid on some of the boxes was enough for one member of my family to start retching. We were forced to grovel for refunds or discounts off our next meal. The meals had in part become inedible. God knows why but for some reason we persisted. Perhaps we just couldn't believe what was really happening.

Then last night all that changed. The meal they delivered to my house from the restaurant was the final straw. My family and I ate our last Babur Indian meal. The food containers were split. The food was splashed down the insides of the carrier bags - it looked like a dogs dinner. My daughter commented it was an atrocious way to present a meal from a well known, even renowned restaurant. Inside the bags oils and sauces had mixed into the rice containers. The food was delivered at an inedible temperature -only warm not hot. It appeared the bags had been dropped en route to our house. It was all a disgusting mess.

The Tandoori dish we ordered - a Mixed Grill always such a delight for my children was small, of poor quality meat, without the major ingredients and contained one shish barely cooked inside. All in all a dish that had been a joy to feats upon was now hardly edible.

The meal had been prebooked by me as guests were expected. The meal arrived late and without any apology. It was over 17 minutes late despite having prebooked the delivery slot more than one and a half hours in advance.

The poppadums were soft . They were not freshly cooked that day. The kitchen had not even bothered or dare I say thought to reheat them to crispness. The meal approached £70 in value - a meal from Babur is never cheap - it was always a luxury but one we have previously always thoroughly enjoyed and thought a worthwhile dining experience. No more.

Today I tried to complain to the manager but was curtly and in very broken English told by the man who happened to pick up the phone the manager was not there and that he wouldn't be in till tomorrow after 2:00PM.

I count myself lucky in that I have now given up with this restaurant. Having remained loyal at all times, despite the dire food and the measly refunds and teeny discounts I have had enough. The most shocking thing is that throughout all the complaints over the last couple of years and my continued patronage no one from the restaurant ever even thought to offer any sort of apology for the dire food and service we received.

With a sad heart I now have now decided never again will I or my family and my guests have to endure their second rate, poor quality, barely warm, spilt and to be perfectly honest - rank food.

I can still recall reading Fay Maschler, the then Evening Standard's food critic, glowing review as my wife and I waited with growing excitement for our very first Babur meal. It was a wonderful dining experience and remained just that for many happy years just as Fay promised it would be "Babur Restaurant the best Indian south of the river " and it was then. But not today.

This restaurant and take away service is one to avoid at all costs.

Friday, October 04, 2013

I first went to this restaurant in 2006, back then it was quite new and when I went with my date, we were the only diners in there and it was the weekend!! The food was lovely back then.

Tonight I dined there for the first time since 2006 and the food is still phenomenal!! The service was the dog's b, they got my friends starter wrong (waiter misheard), they didn't hesitate in changing it and gave us the 'wrong' starter for free as a goodwill gesture on top of still making her correct starter in speedy time.

As with most posh restaurants, the portion isn't big but I was comfortably full on 2 courses.

Considering it's location (outside central london and not even on a main busy/commercial highstreet) I thought the price were on the higher end of the scale but the food was fresh and it is worth treating yourself to.
View/Add comments (1)

Sophie
Friday, April 05, 2013

Went there to eat on Wednesday, mackerel starter with lamb marinaded for 100 hours for a main course.

Sorry to say that whilst the presentation was lovely, and I can see what they're trying to do with the food, it was just overpriced and bland.

Like I said, all beautifully presented and explained well by the waiters, but I've never come across such bland flavouring.

The best way I can describe it is that it's Indian food for people who don't really like Indian food. Let alone the fact that a main with a side or 2 comes in at 18-20 quid, and starters range from £6.50-9. Very disappointing.

ted
Friday, March 08, 2013

Just came out from the restaurant!!!

What a fanastic dinner, buzzy atmosphere, i guess it is because is saturday. All so good!

Me and my partner arrived without a booking and the manager was so nice to seat us at the entrance and check if there was any table availaible, and after not long we had our table, not the best in the venue, but absolutely fine, we didnt book!

The waiter arrived and served us all dinner long in such good and natural way!

We choosed main courses and side dishes, mine suggested from the waiter,

The dishes were absolutely astonishng, all for presentation and taste!

Absolutely happy about them! Not many words to describe them!

I definitely suggest this restaurant!

My compliments, and lovely clean toilets with handtowel cream and soap!

It is a place to experience if you love indian restaurant. Thank you Babur!

Luigi
Saturday, January 26, 2013

I love this restaurant! I am probably the fussiest person ever, but particularly when it comes to Indian food as most restaurants are poor when it comes to this cuisine - serving up the same reheated slop with a different meat - yuk! But Babur is one of the only Indian restaurants in London that I will go to time and time again. Fantastic food, freshly cooked and very much like how I would cook myself from Madhur Jaffrey/Julie Sahni books at home. I have only ever tried the restaurant as opposed to the take-away side, which I've been told is run by a different team although I'm not sure. Anyway, I've been about 6 times now and will keep going back - please keep it up Babur and don't slip into that awful trap that every other place has! It pleases me greatly that there is a decent Indian restaurant in London that I can go to when I get that craving. Awesome, awesome food.

Rebecca
Sunday, May 06, 2012

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!

DISGRACEFUL service received from Babur on the 14th February 2012. I ordered a meal at around 7.15pm which as it was valentines I accepted that the food would naturally take a long time to be delivered and was told over the phone it would take around an hour and 15 minutes.

This time passed so I called to see where the food was and was told it is on its way. An hour and a half after my original call the delivery man called my phone to say he could not find my flat, I explained where it was but he decided that he was not going to come to the door or deliver the food and that he is by a bus stop and wanted me to come down to get it. The driver was very rude and did not provide anywhere near the customer service I deserve, so my boyfriend told the driver to take the food back if he was refusing to bring the food up a small 2 storey flat.

My boyfriend then rang the restaurant to let them know and the phone got passed round multiple people, to which someone eventually said they would send another delivery driver. The restaurant is only a 5/10 minute drive away from my home but another half hour passed and we still did not have our food!! I am not sure if this was the same driver but he said again he couldnt find the flat and somehow ended up behind the building next to ours.

We finally directed him to our flat, to which when the driver eventually managed it up 2 flights of stairs he was extremely rude saying its my problem that he couldn't find the flat. Its amazing how the drivers could not locate our flat when we get deliveries at least once a week, either from sainsburys or several different restaurants and they all seem to be able to find our flat without any bother.

Our food was stone cold once we got it over 2 hours after I first made the order, and still expected it to be paid for even with though it was discounted, the food did not taste the same after it was warmed up in the microwave and I feel like our valentines was completely ruined by this ordeal. Although we had somewhat of an 'apology' over the phone, I feel they need to look into their customer service and the delivery drivers they employ.

I definately will NOT be recommending this restaurant to anyone and my experience has put me off ever ordering from them again!!!!!!

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wow! I have lived in the area for 18 months and keep driving past this restaurant. We visited it last week and I have to say not only is the food of excellent quality but the service is fantastic.

Try the duck breast, it was absolutely beautiful! The staff were friendly and knowledgeable, I could not fault the place Admittedly the price is above what I would usually pay, but the voucher system of purchasing either a starter or desert for full price thereby giving you a main dish with 50% off. Perfect!

The waiter recommended an Indian Shiraz, we enjoyed it so much we ordered some online when we got home!

Harris73