The Bear Free House

296a Camberwell New Road, London, SE5 0RP - View on a map

Last night my girlfriend and I decided to pop in here for a drink and something to eat. The lady serving us was very friendly and gave us menus. While having our drink I decided on the Roquefort Bacon Burger and my girlfriend had the mac and cheese. When it arrived we were both disappointed with what was put in front of us. The mac and cheese resembled a microwave meal but you cannot do much with mac and cheese so fair enough. The burger was small with a cheap bun. When I bit into it I realized it was rare and although I like my meat medium, this was not good. I could not eat it but the friendly girl who served us never came back to check. My girlfriend finished hers (with a little help from me). When our server came to collect our plates I told her the burger was not good. She said that is the way it is served and I should have asked earlier to get it cooked for longer. She offered me a pudding to compensate but I don't feel that sufficed. I had to grab a rubbish burger in the chicken shop on the way home but at least it was on £2. £30 badly spent in The Bear. I live 2 minutes a way from here but I do not think I will be returning.

Kevin
Thursday, August 22, 2013

Recently discovered the Bear Free House, I thought it was a joy. It was refreshingly good, fresh meals served as a meaningful portion no small stuff! My partner is a lover of good meats and enjoyed the lamb which was I think the most expensive on the menu at 16pounds. I have an interesting salad created by a medley of peach, mint, mozzarella and parma ham. It was very fresh and perfect on the palate which I thoughtfully washed down with an Australian Semillon.

We shared an entree of clams which were cooked with a chorizo, coriander and chilli mix. We also had a dessert. My partner had a fabulous banana and toffee sandwich, rich but so easy to eat (yes I dug into his). I had the plum sponge with cream. After such a fantastic meal hitting and exceeding all of my expectations I was let down with the sponge, as I was lead to believe it would be light and fluffy. It was firm...not stale just firm to be able to take the plum jus I guess?

Staff were friendly enough without being annoying. Decor, I enjoyed very much. Scrubbed back wooden tables, candles and high on the wall a smattering of fairy lights.

I cannot emphasise how fresh the food was. No layer of oil, no pre-processed food. For this reason I pop in there whenever I can. It is a treat to find in Camberwell.

Miss Jane