Buenos Aires (Purley)

4 Tudor Court, Russell Hill Road, Purley, London, CR8 2LA - View on a map

Buenos Aires (Purley) Restaurant In London

I took my family to celebrate my son's 19th birthday, his girlfriend is not a big eater and asked for the kids menu, the waiter brought it over. When we went to order the waitress snatched the kids menu saying it was FORBIDDEN (remind me to check the legislation that covers that?!) as she was over 12. We explained that the waiter brought it over and she wasn't a huge eater, the waitress was having none of it and by now we were being to feel like we had committed a cardinal sin so huge, we were likely to be locked up forever. I offered to pay above the odds for the same meal, but we had crossed the 'kids menu line' and there was no going back, I suspect the kids menu police were indeed on way on the 'blue'. Other diners watched and it was totally embarrassing, as awaited the rapid response unit, I politely pointed out that the likely bill was going to be nearly £300, and asked was she really going to make such a scene for a £6 meal, I asked to see the manager.

We were left for 5 minutes only to discover that it was the 'manager's' day off and the original waiter was in charge! He then declared he'd made a mistake and agreed with the waitress, I felt they were stalling for time as the 'armed response kids menu squad' got into position. I posed the same question "was he really prepared to throw away £300", he didn't answer but dithered with a such high degree of skill, I felt sorry for him. As I went to leave, the red laser beams probably pin positioned, he said he'd make an exception on this occasion.

My son had set his heart on coming here, his girlfriend was mortified as she felt she had wronged the English speaking world, so we stayed. The bill was, as expected high and came with with a £22 service charge (declined!!). Ok, the food was good, not withstanding that my 10oz was a 1/3 of the size of the 12 oz ... their response to this was too comical to write here! There are many great steak houses to choose from, do yourselves a favour, really, avoid this place, they have one hand in your pocket and it's not remarkable enough for the average settings, the lack of customer service, and an atmosphere most mortuaries would be ashamed of to waste your time with. AVOID and spend you money wisely.

Robin Bhairam