Original Lahore Kebab House

2 Umberston Street, Aldgate, London, E1 1PY - View on a map

We have been going for years, food is so yummy. i love the lively atmosphere, love the fact that you can bring your own alcohol. yes its not your fine dining but if thats what you want then go elsewhere.

I think personally the most important thing is the food and it is beautiful fresh and the service is with a smile. its more than reasonable for where its situated. 5 stars for me.

Darshan
Saturday, October 11, 2014

This place started as a lunch place for first Pakistani and later Bengali workers in textile factories. There was no card menu and menu items were indicated each day on a small board. Day's special was most popular.

Later, when most workers stopped coming as either that their wives had arrived or that textile manufacturing declined in the area, the place was used by wholesalers, etc for lunch. Many were Indians who did not cook meat at home. Sundays, it was full with Pakistani families.

Some of these business lot then commenced to go in gangs in the evenings for curry and lager outings instead of then popular Brick Lane curry places. Food was excellent. I was not a businessman but was taken by some business friends there. Non Asian custom was almost non-existent then.

I used to visit Halal place in Aldgate East for years. I then took my colleagues there and we used to go there once month. When Halal place changed hands and became standard Bangladeshi managed, I suggested Lahore Kebab place. Credit to me that it took off amongst the indegenous community. It expanded to upstairs and extended menu appeared.

The place was unrecognisable when i visited it with new collegues at another employer in central London. However, food was still exellent punjabi spice mix and service was excellent.

I then found as good taste Lahore places near my residence and did not visit LKB for years.

However, two years ago when my son moved to Limehouse, I had opportunity to visit it few times. The place has expanded many fold and there was queue on that Saturday night. Most disappointing aspect was the atitudeof young waiters. I requested that I wanted my lamb karahi tasty but not spicy hot. What we got was 50% lamb curry and 50% tomatoes thrown in to make the dish "milder"! We also had salad and did not need the dish to be spoilt thus.

Also, there was pressure to vacate as otheras "were waiting" outside.

Success has spoilt the originality and the atitude of waitors. Those years ago, my friends were highly impressed with the result when boned Tikka pieces were de-boned and cooked in dry spice at my request. The waiter even refused any extra charge.

There are "lahore" restaurants all over London but most sell rice/curry mix as Biryanis. Most local customers accept it since they do not know any better. However, if customers are told Biryanis are cooked at particular time then these joints would get regular customers coming more often.

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

The food is amazing!!!.

Had a take away and a sit down meal and both times the food has been fantastic.

The price is excellent and we liked the no frills approach!

The staff are hard working and you can see the kitchen - so busy!

Friday, August 15, 2014