New Tayyabs

83 Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel, London, E1 1JU - View on a map

This place is awesome. The staff are constantly angry and don't like to be told they've served the wrong food, even though they don't bother to write it down. They're surly, mean and would rather you didn't turn up at all. What were you expecting, customer service? It's totally unnecessary when the food is this good. It's like the entire establishment has embraced the persona of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi, which is reassuring. It's almost like they've taken on the philosophy that the only thing that counts is the food. If you want fine dining this isn't the place. It's a place where you can eat and booze (it's a BYO). If you're interested in seeing a wine list or using cutlery from the outside in then you probably shouldn't be eating here at all. If you like to shove giant spiced barbecued lamb cutlets into your gob whilst you're supping down a dozen Heinekens and wiping your mouth on your shirt then this is the place for you.

John Fox - View all reviews by this user
Monday, March 17, 2014

Sorry, but all these other reviewers are morons.

One can always tell when someone doesn't understand food when they whinge, whinge, whinge about the service. Unless the waiters punched you in the face, I don't care (and frankly some of you would've deserved it)

You don't go to Tayyabs for silver service. You go to eat great breads, amazing rich curries, (oh, the dry meat!!) and for the meats. The lamb chops are the greatest, most savoury thing you can imagine.

Basically go there. It's cheap, BYO and amazing. Don't expect to have people pandering to your every need, and expect to queue. They don't care if you think their service isn't that great (and by the way, I've always found it fine), they're always full whether you whinge about the queues or not. And rightly so. The food is excellent.

Nick260682
Tuesday, February 25, 2014

We visited Tayyabs today, as my husband has been praising that its a brilliant place to eat! I beg to differ! I've never met such a bunch of rude people in my life. The sad little waiter who served us couldnt even be bothered with a notepad to take down our order. The silly man still messed up our order. The portions were ridiculous, the toilets i dont think get cleaned each day. Table pushed together, so you are almost sitting on the next person whom isn't even from your partys lap!

The food was cold, the atmosphere was bad as was the food! Im sorry but this restaurant needs a review and a thorough kick up the back side!

DO NOT DINE AT THIS RESTAURANT....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Mrs. Tayyaba Qayyum - View all reviews by this user
Monday, November 25, 2013

Chose this restaurant for a work diwali dinner - 6 people

The food was salty, small portions in comparison to other indian restaurants, overall lack of customer service.

The staff shouted at one of our guests for picking up a menu from the table next to us, when it was empty.

The staff were more suited to one of them 99p stores rather than a restaurant, totally clueless

When we were leaving, a member of staff was overheard telling his colleague to wait at the top of the stairs in case we leave without paying - we work for a city finance organisation, - we were well dressed.

I do not intend to ever visit this place again!

Unhappy Customer - View all reviews by this user
Monday, October 28, 2013

Went to Tayyabs for the first time and wished that I hadn't bothered. The service in this place is the worst I ever experienced. The waiter was extremely rude and he wrote down the wrong order, when told that it was not what we ordered he got angry and did not even apologize for the mistake instead taking away the dishes and leaving us with only rice and naan to eat. I do not recommend this place and think that it has been overrated. Better Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants out there with better food and service.

Mo
Friday, October 04, 2013

Went to Tayyabs on 9th August. It was my second visit. This time they were busy and we had to wait a bit for a table. After we got seated, the waiter came to take the order, and while we were trying to order he kept talking to the other waiter, so I kept repeating what I want. We felt so rushed, that I don't even remember the name of my dish, just ended up pointing to the menu for a random choice! Snacks, starter and the main came all the same time (so whats the point?!) We understood this gesture as eat and get out!

The food was ok, but I guess it would have been better if we would have been more welcomed. The waiter did not even say thank you or bye to us even though he was clearing our table when we were leaving...

All in all- food just ok, failure on customer service, so we not coming back.

Karina
Friday, August 09, 2013

DOWNHILL SiNCE LAST VISIT.

Three years after my last visit and things have gone downhill badly, despite the empty tables upstairs on a sunny Saturday afternoon we were ushered into the dingy basement and had one menu virtually thrown at us and had to find a second one myself.

Food was ordered and then taken to another table by mistake, it finally made its way to us and I have to say the grilled meats are still as good as they were, seekh kebabs being the pick.

After finishing our £2.50 bottle of mineral water we asked for a jug of tap water, not available downstairs apparently, so we were given large stainless steel vases of tepid tap water.

The mains finally arrived swimming in ghee and quite bland , the spinach and potato had been cooked to death and tasted of nothing in particular .Rotis were good but the Naan was again swimming in ghee.

After seeing other frustrated customers trying to pay by card we left cash and bailed out .

I will not be going back here and returning to the Lahore in future when in this part of town.

Very poor..

mal - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, July 21, 2013

Went to Tayyabs for the first time last night for a friend's birthday. NEVER AGAIN!

We were served by an extremely rude and pushy waiter who refused to write our orders down (despite being a table of 16!). He rushed us shouting 'NEXT!', clearly not listening to us. He continuously clinked a glass with a knife to get our attention. All the other tables were looking, it was humiliating.

Low and behold, lots of the food was wrong and when we asked for what we had ordered, there was no apologies. We were instead treated like we were a nuisance.

Unbelievably stressful and unpleasant experience. Food was average but never worth the appalling service.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

Friday, May 03, 2013

Very rude staff! definitely not place for a family

Monday, April 01, 2013

When we arrived for our reservation last week, I was amazed to see the queues outside. However, I thought the queues meant that that food would be amazing. Well, the food was ok, the service however were abysmal! The waiters insisted that we have our starters and mains at the same time - obviously to get us out of the door quickly! However, the table was not big enough to accommodate both....so everything was crammed on to the table!

The best thing that I had at Tayyabs was the mango lassi - this was delicious. The naan bread was also delicious as were the dips that were on the table. They were very very good but, be warned, if you don't like spicy food, take it easy as they are incredibly spicy. Everything else verged between okay and nice....

I had the paneer which was nice but lacked in spice. For my main, I had a lentil dish which again really lacked flavour.

My complaints would be that the table wasn't big enough for all the food, particularly as starters and mains were served at the same time, the waiters were rude, and also we weren't able to have tea or coffee afterwards as we were told that someone wanted the table...I don't think the food is good enough to warrant a return to be honest.

Monday, January 28, 2013