Diwana Bhel Poori House

121 Drummond Street, London, NW1 2HL - View on a map

Bad service..poor food.. would not go there again.. We were not very hungry and decided to just order a few starters and were told they can't do that...after being reluctant the waiter got us the food and the bhel puri was far from the authentic one, the dahi poori was horrible and the taste of the other items were below satisfactory.... the waiter was rushing us and literally pulled stuff off our table to make us leave.

Friday, March 07, 2014

I have never had their lunch buffet but I can say their dosas are still one of the most authentic ones around London. Had their masala dosa yesterday which was perfectly crispy and spices. Sambal is yummy too. I don't go there for their service which is merely average but the food has me hooked.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

I have been visiting Diwana since early 1980s. I have to say that I have never had a disappointing meal here, whether I go for the buffet or the a la carte option. I do advise getting there early for lunch however, especially if you're going for the buffet option so that there is plenty of food, freshly put out. I don't know how they keep their prices so low - don't be put off by negative reviews, if you've never tried Diwana before, give it a try - it's delicious.

Finley
Monday, August 05, 2013

Went to this place or lunch on Monday, the 29th of April '13 for lunch and the service was horrendous. We decided to opt for the buffet but by the time we started serving ourselves we noticed most of the food was over. On asking the waiters for replenishments I was told they are not sure of whether they have more food. I then approached the cashier who I thought was the manager. He told me "we are clearing the buffet, it's now time to go". This was barely 10 minutes into my meal. The food was quite poor as well. The chapatis (Indian flat breads) were out of a packet. They should not have seated us if they were closing which was at 2pm in the afternoon. I don't know of any restaurant that closes this early after lunch. Before I left I told the cashier that the service was appalling and I would mention this in the review. He did not care and asked me to send him a copy of it. If you want poor service and unauthentic food then this is a good choice. It was clear that the place is run by a bunch of incompetent... well, I was going to type apes, but I think apes could do a better job.

Monday, May 13, 2013

I have been eating here for 15 years and it is still the best value for food in London, I don't know how they put on their magnificent spread for the price. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Sue Sussman
Saturday, December 29, 2012

I ate in this restaurant tonight for the second time in a month and totally love it but I agree it doesn't suit everyone. The quality and portion sizes of the food is great value and tastes superb. I am not vegetarian but would convert tomorrow if I could eat here every day. On the downside, you are not paying for flash surroundings and the waiters don't flock to your table instantly - but if you don't have a train to catch and enjoy great food at a great price, this place definitely comes up trumps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Just had a great meal here, delicious fresh crispy dosa. Service was fine - perfectly attentive even though the waiters weren't overly communicative to start with, but if you're friendly as a customer you get a good response back also. True, the interior is not particularly flash, but for a simple and delicious Indian meal it's a great option.

Friday, September 07, 2012

Tasteless food, not served hot enough either. Appallingly rude witers and careless service. They actually began throwing furniture around, banging cutlery near us and talking as loudly as they could to let us know they were about to close! Definitely a place I would warn friends to avoid and never go again myself.

meret - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What a disappointment!! I grew up with Diwana, it was the best place to eat in the '60's and 70's and even '80's but now, sadly, it is run-down, the buffet is pathetic. went for lunch yesterday, waiters lazy, no signs on dishes to tell you what they are, a lot of salads (where's the Indian food?) coleslaw!! corn salad. it was appalling and so so disappointing unlike Sakonis in Harrow. Wow, now that is pure authentic vegetarian food just like Diwana used to be but alas not anymore. the place is neglected and again, i repeat, the food was awful. we got there at 3. buffet ends at 4. food was cold, if bowls were empty they did not replenish. waiters made sure we knew they were shutting buffet at 4. just really awful stuff.
View/Add comments (1)

Rachel Born
Monday, July 02, 2012

I have been going to Diwana regularly for lunch for four years and cannot imagine that there is anywhere that serves better food at such an incredibly modest price. The service is good, and waiters very friendly and attentive. If you want Ritz style service, go to the Ritz. It is definitely my favourite restaurant in London. I recommend it to all my friends and none of them have been disappointed.
View/Add comments (1)