Cafe des Amis

11-14 Hanover Place, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9JP - View on a map

Cafe des Amis Restaurant In London

We went here saturday the 7th ofjune 2014 we have been too london on many an occasion and have eaten in some wonderful places

However we ate here on sat and the food was outstanding

The service was faultless sfaff were all wonderful

And a massive thankyou too the chefs as every course we had was superb

We have reccomened it to everyone as the place to eat when they visit

Vanessa Young
Monday, June 09, 2014

Savoury Goats Cheese served With Strawberries In a Sweet Patisserie Tart???

I booked this afternoon tea as a treat for my daughter and son in law on what I had considered to be the prestige of Cafe Des Amis. Where do I start? What a disaster in the making!

We were sent way down to the basement bar area where we were stuffed and cramped and subjected to the smell of toilet drains. I noticed that they had a scented burner to try to eliminate the smell but it could not be over powered.

We specifically requested a ham free afternoon tea and heard these instructions relayed to the kitchen. However halfway through eating our sandwiches we were to discover that we had indeed been served with wafer thin ham. The bread was stale and the each sandwich was garnished with red onions yuk!

As is traditional with an afternoon tea, clotted cream and raspberry jam is served with scones. The scones were cheap and stodgy and served with what can only be described as a pale pink raspberry smoothie and double cream to drip wet on top of your scone - not clotted cream and jam. What a mockery of a sham of the establishment of Afternoon tea.

The sweet treats lacked depth of flavour and although they seemed appealing to the eye they did not deliver on taste and were a childish attempt at something that could so simply have been delivered.

The strawberry tarts were 'mistakenly' made with savoury goats cheese and this was confirmed by taste and the barman. The manager said it was creme fraiche. In my opinion the cream was old and had been tainted by whatever was in the fridge. This is not me being picky as other patrons had also left the suspect tarts untouched.

The Tarts were replaced with foamed dairy cream sprayed from a aerosol canister and once melted the strawberries floated in the cream on their sides.

The positive was the over worked barman downstairs who was left to manage the four corner bar as well as all the table service and numerous customer complaints. I really did feel sorry for him.

Be warned, not refined afternoon tea.

Kazza - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, February 11, 2014

They had an offer of 50% off total bill which they did not honor. I do not recommend this restaurant no integrity. Why have an offer if you have no intention honouring it. They offered 50% off food only this is not what their offer stated. Totally disgusted with their attitude. Avoid this place.

Susan Smith