Ryo

84 Brewer Street, Soho, London, W1F 9UB - View on a map

We popped in for food one evening at about seven o'clock. I must say, we didn't have ramen. We had good cheap food here - o-nigiri (rice ball with plum paste inside), kara-age (deep-fried chicken) with rice and soup, and unatama-ju (eel & omelette) also with rice and soup. The portions were a good size, the chicken was cooked properly (always good to know!), rice was nicely cooked. A bit more tofu in the miso soup would be good, though... :-)

Service was decent and friendly, and the food came out of the kitchen quickly. I don't have a problem with canteen-style decor, either, it's like a Hong Kong diner; we went there for something Japanese to eat, not for atmosphere.

I must say, the price was really good. So, for what you pay, I think you get a good deal and decent Japanese food.

Funky Phantom
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I have never left a review before, but felt I had to having read all the bad comments on this restaurant. My husband used to live in Japan, and we have been going to this restaurant for many years. It is very authentic, exactly what you would get in Japan both in terms of atmosphere and food. The food is very good, and in response to the reviewer who says they do not accept any variation, we have always had our ramen and chukadon without pork, which the restaurant has been very accomodating. Yes, the decor could do with some updating (and last time we went there we saw it was closed for refurbishment, and I only logged visited this site to see if it was open again), but that is what most noodle bars in Tokyo look like. It is our six year old daughter's favourite place, and a good place for her to get to know everyday Japanese food.
View/Add comments (1)