Harry Morgan

29-31 St John's Wood High Street, London, NW8 7NH - View on a map

Harry Morgan Restaurant In London

Why have I never been here before in all my years in this city?

Harry Morgan is a great local. However, one gets the feeling that Harry's is becoming a victim of it's location. You have to be a millionaire to live in St John's Wood and you don't find many of them in diners. So Friday evening it was quieter than this retro-fab NYC deli-diner place deserves to be.

The place has bags of atmosphere. And the food's pretty good. It's Jewish comfort food about which I know next to nothing. We demolished a plate of latkes with applesauce and sour cream and were sorry we hadn't ordered another. I had a mac n cheese that was up with the best of them. I had a side of pickles that were definitely best I've had. I took away what I couldn't eat. My companion's meatloaf with mash and gravy disappeared without me noticing.

We washed it all down with a few glasses of zinfandel and french rose that were both well above average and finished up with a slice of vanilla NY baked cheesecake. This was fine, but not quite how I like it. I can easily get over this. Next time we're hitting the pecan pie.

Staff are terrific and the other diners are friendly. The bill is a steal for the area. We rolled out onto the wet streets well fed and happy.

Sunday, October 30, 2016