Abu Zaad

29 Uxbridge Road, Shepherd's Bush, London, W12 8LH - View on a map

Telegraph

Matthew Norman - 8/10

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - The chicken, a delicately marinated bird flattened and barbecued on the chargrill at the back, was glorious, all juicy and crispy and savoury, and okra with lamb cubes (bamia billammi) a cinnamony delight. If kibbieh shamieh - pastry diamonds stuffed with minced lamb, cracked wheat and pine nuts - was underseasoned, we;d gorged so greedily on the starters that we wouldn't have finished it anyway.

Me and my friends chose Abu zaad for my birthday celebration and expected the same quality of service as we recieved when we came the previous time. The food was amazing and so was the service however, we had to pay £20 service charge just for the restaurant to turn the lights off for 5 seconds and bring candles and the cake which we bought to the restaurant. The manager was also very rude and argued that if he we don't pay the service charge he will just bring our cake but not plates. To be honest, if it wasn't for the quality of the food I wouldn't choose to come to this place again.

Friday, March 14, 2014

I usually don't write reviews but this time I just had to. Me and a few friends had dinner at Abu Zaad this evening, I was simply amazed! The staff were SO kind, the food was top quality (and quantity!).

We went to the Edgware Rd branch, it was quite busy so we had to wait a few minutes for a table to be free...the waiters brought us the menu along with a glass of freshly made strawberry juice each for free!

I needed to charge my phone and the waiters found a charger for me!

I am honestly so amazed at the quality of service we received today...had to pay a nice tip. I highly recommend Abu Zaad in Edgware Rd!!

Frida
Sunday, March 02, 2014

ok first thing first, I am writing this review as everything is still fresh in my memory haven't even washed hands so the whiff of raw aubergines,a mashed up fattoush (salad), cold tortilla wraps is still haunting around. Me and my two mates were on the Edgware road looking for a place to have a good meal as we were looking around, time to break the fast(muslim fasting month) had come to an end and we had little time to decide, Abuzaad looked alright from the outside, and we went in , in the first 2 minutes when we were given a table the waiters started shouting at my mate as he thought we are going to sit on (apparently) reserved table where as my mate was only going through the tables to get to the place where we were told to sit. An extremely rude induction, but we ignored it as we had no time to go elsewhere.

Waiter came to take the order within 2 minutes and instead of asking if we were ready he instead stood there with his notepad asking who wants what , and then he mentioned 4 dishes which were supposedly todays special. He insisted that we should get something from those 4 dishes , my friends had to decide whilst he was standing there as he was keep on asking which one. Anyway, despite telling him that we don’t like veg’s so something with meat (lamb, chicken) would be nice, and he instead on this dish called “makloba” with aubergines, as according to him it was the best ever dish out of dozens others in the menu. And we ordered a few starters and a bowl of chicken soup, which was never seen on the table ( luckily).

Starters were tasteless and salad was too mashed up, humus with chicken shawarma had bitter taste. Anyway, main meal came in a reasonable time , but as we started , I can tell you, it was the worst meal ever in my whole life, and at the time I realised that because of the waiter deliberately standing there and putting words in our mouths, two of us had the same dish “ Makloba” with almost raw aubergines and lattice with long grain rice and a very tiny bit of lamb pieces on top with no taste what so ever. The fact that all three of us were fasting and super hungry we tried to eat but it was not going down as it was not food(literally). I just ate them few pieces of meat , had a little salad with humus and with our plates almost full, we asked for the bill, paid 49£, the waiter wasn’t even making eye contact when I called him , neither he said anything when he came with the bill. We left and had to go somewhere else to eat but because of that meal , we all had lost the appetite, long story short not recommended , its absolutely tasteless and dry.

Malik - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, July 18, 2013

I visited the restaurant on the evening of 23.01.13 with a friend; the staff were watching football match on a large screen TV!

I requested a dish of diced lamb cooked in yoghurt with a bowl of steamed bulgur (a very traditional dish in Western Mediterranea). I got some mashed bulgur with green lentils and a few pieces of lamb drowned in a bowlful of water thinned yoghurt. I called on a Syrian waiter and asked if he would accept the mash as TRUE bulgur dish in Syria. His reply was “this is all we’ve got”, but I can change it with rice. I accepted the offer, but then the rice arrived 15 minutes later by which time the rest of the food was cold. I had been to this restaurant 4 times before (last in August 2012) and was always impressed by the true Syrian quality of the food. I will have to get several positive reviews from people I know before I pay the place another visit.

.M. Fadro
Thursday, January 24, 2013

The first time I came to Abu Zaad was about a few months ago, and since then, I have been a total addict of that place and their food!! Their food is amazing, and cheap aswell.. which you don't really get often in Middle-Eastern restaurants in London. Their food is pretty authentic, and so tasty! Their service is great and the waiters are nice and friendly. Most of the time, I spend about £10 - I don't think I've ever spent more than £15 in Abu Zaad. And their portions are not stingy either!

Amazing place. Will never get bored of it!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

I am a moroccan and I am always going to Abu Zaad with my Syrian wife.

It is the best restaurant in London with the best food and the best prices and the

Staff is very polite and respectful. I am really not exaggerating as I ate everywhere

In London and until now no restaurant can compete with Abu Zaad. It only needs to be advertised everywhere. You can go to a Lebanese, egyptian or a Moroccan restaurant and it may be true that their name, style, decoration and professional attitude is better but their food is nothing compared to Abu Zaad and moreover the Staff of Abu Zaad consists of different nationalities included Egyptians, Moroccans, Palestinians and Syrians etc.. They are at least formal as well as informal with much respect.

Ibrahim Ikhlaf