Emchai

78 High Street, Barnet, London, EN5 5SN - View on a map

Emchai is an excellent Malaysian Restaurant which has livened the otherwise boring choices of restaurants in high Street Barnet. We go regularly and have been for many years because the staff, service and food is incredible especially for the prices.

Recommended dishes are Mongolian chicken wings, wasabi prawns, beef rendang, kway teo, honey roast duck, massaman curry. And you'll be happy when you see the bill because you'll have got great value too.

We're having my brother's birthday tomorrow fire a large group and they don't impose a set menu which means we can cater for the masses.

Definitely worth a trip, I'm taking friends from all over London regularly who are equally delighted.

Mo Talukder
Friday, March 28, 2014

I have been to Emchai 3 times in the last 6 months. The last 2 times have been in the past 2 weeks. The place is just OK and though the food tastes good the portions are tiny!. The staff know nothing about the dishes. I said i would like to order a spicy prawn curry and i was recommended one by the staff..i asked what was it it, she couldn't tell. When the curry came it was sweet as sugar and had peanuts in it!!! It was mentioned nowhere in the menu. I would also like to mention 2 of the most bizzare experiences i had in the last 2 visits which includes the one today. last week I went..after the starters we were offered ONE finger bowl for a table of 6 people. We were told all of us had to use the same finger bowl as they don't serve seperately! I was shocked. If that's the case then why offer one at all?! Today i went again... As the plates were laid, out of curiosity..i turned the plate over to see where it was made in as i thought it was an unusual plate.To my utter shock the backside was dirty, full of curry!!! When i told this to the management..no apology was offered the plates were simply replaced by fresh ones. All we were told that sometimes the curry is not washed off. But they do it once in a while using bleach. who uses bleach for dishes???!!!I have taken a photo of it, wish i could post it here. I could not eat my food. The staff cannot speak english, not friendly, if u ask about a dish they know nothing, Toilets are not clean. There are just 3 people who seem to be doing everything, taking orders,serving ,cooking, cleaning etc. Sometimes the owner is there who is probably the driving force there. I am NEVER going back!!

Poonam