Paradise By Way Of Kensal Green

19 Kilburn Lane, Kensal Green, London, W10 4AE - View on a map

Paradise By Way Of Kensal Green Restaurant In London

This Is London

David Sexton - 3/5

Thursday, April 08, 2010 - The new chef, 25-year-old Maxime Le Van, used to be head chef at Club Gascon...Sea bream was a big, well-cooked fillet, salty and buttery, accompanied by excellent gratinated clams and some broccoli florets and confit cherry tomatoes, oozing into a coulis. Salmon with a pistachio crust was an oddity, the dish tasting peculiarly sweet cloying. The constant quest for high impact evident in the cooking here seems sometimes to go too far - although a Pear Belle Helene was simple and classic.

Paradise was the only place I wanted to book for my surprise leaving lunch for a close friend that was returning to Australia. i had booked the private dining room before and knew it would be perfect again as its a nice size room for a big group & the vintage style decor of the room gives it a nice cosy feel. Samantha the Bookings Manager was super easy to deal with in the lead up to the meal, either on the phone or over email confirming dates, times and dining numbers etc. And it was really sweet to see on the day that the management had gone to the trouble of making 'Bon Voyage' place settings on the table for us! But what really made the experience so laid back and enjoyable was how friendly the staff were on the day, nothing was any trouble, especially our lovely waitress who was as mad as we were!!!

Gem
Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Went here last Friday night for drinks with the girls, got a table upstairs which was perfect as we really enjoyed the Funk band that played later on, even although i wouldnt describe myself as a Funk enthusiast; they were awesome! Really nice mix of people, really busy vibrant happy pub, we got some dancing in towards the end of the night too. At 1.30am we called it a night and the staff were still really accommodating, and ordered us a cab home. This night reminded me of why I live in London.

Debbie Fraser
Monday, March 04, 2013

This Gastro Pub is a real gem. The food is predominantly classy and original takes on British classics, where the origin and quality of the ingredients is obviously of principal importance. The waitresses are extremely knowledgeable of the dishes and wine list, and their enthusiasm is positively heartwarming. The cocktail menu in particular would tip any teetotaler to drink; during my visit (in the January snow) a selection of winter warmers were on offer and not just the standard choice. The pub draws an understandably trendy crowd owing to the classy-yet-not-flashy antique encrusted decor. All in all, the food was fantastic, the service was prompt and the atmosphere cosy and friendly. This restaurant is well worth a visit.

KokoKitscha - View all reviews by this user
Monday, January 21, 2013

I went to Paradise as it came highly recommended. Normally when this happens I am disppointed. Today I wasn't. The decor was great, service unpretentious, friendly but efficient and knowledgable. The vibe was perfect. A choice of four different roasts which our table had 3 of them and it was hard to say who had the best. I will be back this week to see what the alacarte has to offer. They are also family friendly so my 5 year old had a great time too. Well done

Native Coach - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, November 25, 2012

We love going to Paradise and make it quite a regular occurance amongst friends and family. I find my self there for friend's birthday dinners, a cheeky sunday roast, rave up with the live shows upstairs or just a few cocktails on a friday night. The staff are efficient and really friendly, not stiff like you find in some restaurants of that standard. The wine recommended always works with the food without anyone trying to rip you off! and then there's the food. oh the food. I don't think I've ever been disappointed. It's a real treat. the kind of place where everyone has to swap dishes half way through the meal just to try it all out. Last night was no exception. We started with some delicious fresh Oysters and a chicken liver parfait which was rich and creamy. then a line caught sea bass with brown shrimp and samphire and a little pile of mash that was buttery as you like. My fella had the pork belly with what I can't remember as he wolfed it down before I could even try any! but apparently tasty as hell. We then, on quite a full tummy, decided to share a sticky toffee pudding. which was a mistake ending up in a spoon war over the toffee sauce Lesson learnt. Don't share dessert.

Annie Bea
Thursday, October 18, 2012

We went for dinner at Paradise on Friday night and had such a lovely time. I requested a bramble cocktail which wasn't on the menu and the barman happily obliged me.

The starter of crab and avocado with sourdough toast was delicious and the perfect size for a starter. After this I had lamb with clams, green beans and dauphinoise potatoes. The lamb was served medium rare which was delicious, and again, the portion sizes were great.

The atmosphere was lovely, it started to get slightly raucous as we were finishing up, but we headed upstairs to join in the fun anyway!

Ash
Monday, October 08, 2012

After spending a few great nights at the bar of The Paradise we thought it was time to delve into the restaurant and celebrate a friends birthday over dinner. And what a great night it was!

As a group of girls we found the ambiance was perfect for a relaxed catch up - but could also see tables of couples having a great time as the space feels really intimate despite being fairly open. The sparkling lighting makes it feel warm and cosy - perfect for this time of year when the nights are drawing in.

Our starters of oysters and crab were delicious and felt very decadent in the chandelier filled surroundings!

The 28 day hung sirloin steak was cooked to perfection which I enjoyed with a well recommended Malbec. Others had the halibut which again was perfectly cooked. The only advice if having this though is to get some side orders as it doesn't come with much veg.

Our waiter was really knowledgeable about the wines and with such a great selection to chose from we were all really happy.

For a decadent yet cosy autumn meal you can't go wrong here - highly recommended!

Emma Child
Friday, September 28, 2012

Went for brunch over the weekend and wanted to stay for dinner as well!

We ordered a selection of small plates including the pate and oysters which are never disappointing and washed them down with some perfectly spicy Bloody Mary's. The food and drink never fail to disappoint me at Paradise- thank you for being so consistent.

Loved sitting outside and the attentive, genuinely concerned service.

Will certainly visit again and this time stay for dinner as well!

Ken B
Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What a gorgeous evening, had dinner with my flatmate on Friday evening after they had re-opened the kitchen and it was outstanding. Selection of oysters to start were plump and delicious. the rump steak with bone marrow was tasty and juicy and couldn't quite manage a pudding so went with an espresso martini, a perfect combo of coffee and a digestif in one. The service was attentive without being overbearing, I liked the way our waiter came across as informal yet very knowledgable of the dishes and wine on offer

I'd recommend this to anyone!

Claire Southern
Monday, August 13, 2012

Had a lovely meal here earlier this week. Didn't know what to expect but wasn't disappointed. The decor was beautiful and had a really good atmosphere. Service was good as was the food. As my mum is a veggie there was also plenty for her to choose from which is a rarity. Will most definitely be returning!

Friday, July 20, 2012

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, January 24, 2011 - To start, I opted for a fowl terrine, consisting of nuggets of chicken, duck and pheasant. I was surprised at being able to distinguish each individual bird, and with a really rather nice and tart cranberry relish, I managed to polish the lot off with minor assistance. In exchange, I snaffled tasters of scallops and soup, all excellently executed...Desserts were a complete dud note, so the less said about them the better, but it certainly didn't put a dampener on the evening. With a name like Paradise, it certainly has a lot to live up to, but thankfully it could mostly justify those claims with a solid display from the kitchen.