Clos Maggiore

33 King Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 8JD - View on a map

Clos Maggiore Restaurant In London

My husband and I were taken to Clos Maggiore last night by our daughter and her boyfriend to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a magical night. The food was excellent; the atmosphere was very relaxed and very buzzy and the staff were extremely attentive and knowledgeable. The praline dessert was to die for and they kindly brought us a plate of petit fours with Happy Anniversary scrawled on the plate. The sommelier was extremely good and we enoyed his choices of both white and red wines. Would go back in a heart beat.

Anne Fox
Thursday, August 28, 2014

Very nice for a special occasion. Try and book the conservatory if you can, it's a lovely atmosphere. Food is good and your looking around £60 a head with a couple of drinks. Bit pricey but worth it for a rare night out.

Friday, May 03, 2013

I recently went for a romantic birthday lunch with my husband.

We were greeted by the staff who looked concerned that we may not have a table as they hadnt been able to confirm my booking with me. They only had my work details and I had not been in work for a few days, my advice, ring them if you havent heard from them 24 hours before you are due to arrive!

The restaurant was beautiful, I imagine even more so at night with the candles and fire on.

The staff were friendly and accomodating and even prepared me something from the a la carte menu and put it on the set menu for me, very kind of them.

The food was nice, it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be but was nice.

My starter of chilled soup was very chilled and not something that I enjoyed to be honest. My main of pasta was lovely but very filling and I didnt sample a dessert. My husband, a meat eater, thought the food was great. The set lunch menu is well worth the money.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It is a great restaurant with great food, and great service. The only thing that was not great was the truffle soup on the set menu that was just a little salty, so it was difficult to finish it, but apart from that, the food was great. We couldn't get a nice table on the terrace (was the best area in the restaurant) because it was fully booked. The set menu was not expensive as you get a starter, main, dessert + half bottle of wine for 23.50 pounds (at lunch). Dishes from the Main Menu are about 20 pounds each.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We visited Clos Maggiore for Sunday lunch to celebrate my birthday. The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. The staff were friendly, charming and efficient. The food was superb. We're both looking forward to returning there soon.

OBW - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, February 16, 2012

I went yesterday with my partner to celebrate her birthday. I had originally planned to go for the pre theatre menu as we were to go the Palace theatre that evening and I wanted us to stay fairly local in order to enjoy our meal. Having looked at the restaurant online and viewed the menu I thought justice could only be done by enjoying an indulgent lunch.

Having booked our table via this site I pleased to find that we were located in the rear of the restaurant under the branches which form a romantic canopy. My girlfriend was at once enchanted by the whole setting, with it's warm, wood panelled walls and soft lighting. The tables are spaced sensibly apart to afford plenty of room and to allow for free conversation.

We both opted to have a glass of champagne whilst we perused the menu and were delighted with the options. I went for the slow roasted rabbit and my partner for the goats cheese. My rabbit was sublime and I almost wished it could have been scaled up to form a main. Equally the goats cheese was creamy and delicate and didn't stick to the palate. To follow I had the stuffed chicken, moist and succulent and my girlfriend the duck, which was delightfully pink and tender. We accompanied the mains with roasted vegetables and truffle mash which really was inspiring.

The sommelier guided us through the immense wine list and found us a suitable bottle of French red. There's no point in not asking their advice. There was a time when to pose such a question would have left me feeling a bit foolish but with a list so vast it's worth asking the question. Besides it's their arena and why not make use of their expertise.

Dessert was a delightful Tiramisu, wrapped in the darkest chocolate and a Pear Frangipane tart. Both again wonderful and we had the suggested dessert wine to go with them too. This was in turn followed by coffee and petit fours

The service was always attentive and understated and yet we were made to feel very welcome. We left the restaurant in fine mood as we ventured into the icy February weather.

This really is a really wonderful venue and one that we both agreed we would return to in the future, it really does tick all the boxes. In fact it's one of those places you're left in a dilemma with. Do you tell everyone about your new discovery or do you keep it a secret, like a precious jewel to be enjoyed only by your good selves. Answers on a postcard please !

M Schlote
Thursday, February 09, 2012

This restaurant is simply beautiful, all burnished wood and polished glasses reflecting the flickering log fire burning in the fireplace, its a wonderful backdrop to some majorly delicious food and wine. We had the seasonal tasting menu and despite waiting for half an hour for our first course, the rest of dinner went at much more reasonable pace. We did have some freshly baked breadsticks to nibble on whilst we were waiting, served with two dips, a tapenade and a goats cheese with truffle oil, and a some parmesan foccacia, but we didn't want to be too full to enjoy the six courses we were eagerly awaiting. Everything was absolutely scrumptious, from the duck, to the cheeses to the warm chocolate fondant with black cherry sorbet, but if pressed to choose, our favourite course was the cod on angels hair pasta with a delectable creamy seafood veloute with mussels, topped with concasse tomatoes and chorizo, unbelievably good. Cheerful and approachable staff, our wine waiter in particular was excellent at advising us on a superb bottle of red which went happily with almost everything on the tasting menu, and there are a lot of wines to choose from! A fantastic evening and not too much of an eye watering bill, we will be back soon.

Christina Caballero
Friday, January 06, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 8/10

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - Stuffed morels with chicken mousseline was exactly the kind of dish you hope you're given when you visit a restaurant like this. Generously proportioned morels, sliced underneath to reveal a solid filling of firm chicken mousse, it was seasoned aggressively and dressed with nice fresh greens and I absolutely loved it...Service was attentive but unpushy, and I should make a special mention of the rear dining room itself which, lit by a large skylight and framed by white flowers and fairy lights, created a remarkably luxurious atmosphere. As is so often the case in London, only the bill seemed slightly incongruous.