Thanh Binh

14 Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8AG - View on a map

I've eaten at Vietnamese restaurants in a couple of continents and this is the second worst one I've been to.

The service was average. I was surprised at vietnamese bubble teas not being included in the menu, but that was all there was for surprises.

Food was equally average. I ordered my favourite Vietnamese dish - Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Pork over Vermicelli Noodles) which is always accompanied by one of my favourite sauces in the whole world, Nuoc cham. They were both a huge disappointment. The pork didn't taste right nor did the sauce, which had a tad too much fish sauce making it rather more vinegar-y than it's meant to be and stealing away the whole point of the sauce which is to be beautifully complementing.

I will not be going back. I am still looking for the best Vietnamese restaurant in town!

moshimoshineko - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, January 09, 2013

I have been coming to this lovely restaurant for over ten years now as it is one of my favourites. I LOVE vietnamese food and this restaurant has a lot of choice on the menu from PHO to chargrilled noodle salads and can't forget the clay pot dishes! I am suprised to see some of the negative comments about the service as I am always treated like family at this restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant, I always bring friends along to share my lovely experience!

Rachel
Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My girlfriend loves Vietnamese and asked me to pick up a takeaway The rude and aggresive lady on the phone got the order mixed up and instead of putting it right, insisted that i should give my order in person 'if I like her food'. I gave my order at the restaurant, but there was another mix up when I picked up the food. There was a stressed and unfriendly atmosphere at the restaurant. Anyway we finally ate the takeaway and discovered another mistake. The soups were watery with poor rations of meat. Poor product, awful service - seems to target innocent unknowing Camden tourists - avoid!

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Absolutely disgusting treatment. Apalling service. The woman I assume managed or owned the place rudely interrupted our meal (which was overpriced and average- I've eaten at multitudes of Vietnamese restaurants here, in Australia and in Asia), to demand we move tables for her booking of 9. I was shocked at the rough and uncouth manner in which she demanded this and then again insisted at the arrival of the table of 9. I was poised chopstick to lips, when I was again brutally asked to move. I was appalled. There are no words to describe her level of rudeness! She seemed to be disorganised, ( though the restaurant was empty!) , greedy and nasty to her staff. The whole experience was insulting. My boyfriend and I left our starters half eaten and walked out, paying for our starters and flatly refusing to foot the bill for drinks we didnt consume though we were almost bullied to. To dine there and be treated so badly would imply one has no dignity and self respect- we promptly went to La Du Du in west hampstead where the food was exceptional, service brilliant, atmosphere buzzing and very cool, staff happy and prices much less expensive!

Saturday, December 08, 2012

I am very surprised with all those great comments as my boyfriend is vietnamese and they served us one of the worst pho we ever had.

This was a very disapointing experience. The stock was bland, there were no herbs at all in the soup, only spring onions... I had a pho ga and the chicken was dry and tasted like a rosted chicken that they cut into pieces once cooked and threw in the stock, not like a chicken that would have cooked in the stock for hours. My boyfriend had a classic pho and for both of us the noodles were very sticky and too thin, not the usual pho noodles. They didn't have the proper side herbs that go with a pho, and the hoi sin was simply disgusting! It was extremely sweet and didn't even tasted like hoi sin.

Very, very disapointing, we'll clearly never go back.

Lga
Sunday, January 22, 2012

The best Vietnamese food Iíve come across so far!

Having been to the pho cafe, I was very disappointed with itsí authenticity it was all very bland and didnít represent the food I had tasted in Vietnam. Thankfully...

I stumbled across this little gem a few weeks ago and I just keep on having to come back. I actually think I can make do with the kitchen at home. The pho here (traditional Vietnamese noodle soup) is AMAZING and the stock rivals with what Iíve tasted in Hanoi. The portions are big and the accompaniments are very fresh (coriander, mint, bean sprouts, chilli and lemon). And it doesnít stop there, everything else Iíve had has never failed to impress me: the spring rolls (CHẢ NEM no.2 on the menu if I remember correctly!) are exceptional as well as the salted squid, crispy lamb, clay pot beef, vietnamese salad and sizzling monk fish. And whatís this I hear about a new BBQ grilled menu??...I think I need to pay another visit. :P

Peter
Monday, June 27, 2011

Lovely restaurant, i believe it has been open for quite some time however last night was my first time going.this was my first time trying vietnamese food and i love it!

I ordered the spring rolls for starters, I was told to wrap them up with lettuce and dip in a very nice sauce (sorry do not know the name). My friend ordered the crispy salted squid and I had to order another portion because it was that nice! As for mains, I ordered the sizzling prawns and my friend ordered a cold dish I think it was the chargrilled cod with noodles and salad, amazing.

I realise a few reviews on here have picked up on the bad service which confuses me because our food arrived in no time and we were always asked how we were getting on. However, I can see how two waiters would not be enough on a busy night, I guess we were lucky!

I advise anyone who has not yet tried vietnamese food to do so. Believe me it is much better than chinese food which consists of OIL, LOTS OF IT.

vanessa
Saturday, June 04, 2011

I've lived in Camden for the past 10 years and this has been my favourite Vietnamese restaurant in all that time, the food was authentic, service fantastic, the owner helpful and chatty and I recommended the place to a lot of my friends who also had a similar experience.

However I'm horrified at how my favourite restaurant has changed beyond all recognition and now it's sadly lost one of its most loyal customers.

I haven't been there for around 6 months but decided to take my in-laws last Friday for a special treat. Straight away we noticed that the menu had changed and that all of our favourite dishes had gone, only to be replaced by generic choices such as "chicken curry with onions", I asked the waiter if the old dishes were still available but he was totally clueless so I tried to get the owner's attention. In stark contrast to every other time I've been there (probably about 120 times over the past 10 years) she refused to come over to the table and eventually blanked me with a wave of her hand as she returned to her counter. A bit shocked and disappointed at this we ordered anyway and waited for the food to arrive. All I can say is that the disappointment didn't end there; the curry looked like it came out of a jar with texture like tomato soup and a few chopped onions, peppers and bits of chicken floating about in it. The spicy Singapore noodles were burnt and the spring rolls were almost empty with thick soggy pastry, my wifeís soup was over salty and was pretty tasteless but spicy. Compared to all the previous times when we've left, congratulating ourselves once again with eating in the best Vietnamese restaurant around, it was very, very sad but nevertheless we decided to finish what we could and have a word with the owner as we left.

That's when they really lost my custom and we encountered the worst Customer Service on record.

We waited for the waiter to clear the table for 25 mins but nothing happened so we left the dirty plates and ventured up to the counter to pay there instead. The owner was clearly flustered but worked out our bill, pushing it towards us together, for some unknown reason, with a calculator. We duly paid and this is EXACTLY how the conversation afterwards went: -

"We were wondering, have you changed chef and the menu in the last 6 months? We've been coming here for about 10 years and we noticed that it's really changed" "no, same chef, same menu...always been same menu[sic]" "You used to have a mixed starter, with crab salad, spring rolls, squid cakes, £5 per person, minimum of 2 people?" "no, nothing changed, you get all that separate, same menu"

As she was saying this she was turning round, wiping surfaces, sticking her head into the fridge under the bar and frantically looking round at other tables and the dumb waiter so my wife asked:- "Excuse me, would you mind at least looking at me and giving me some attention whilst I'm trying to give you some feedback?" She carried on wiping, fussing and cleaning her hands but said with a pained expression "You tell me what's wrong and I'll pass it onto the chef?". We listed our issues but before we finished she suddenly stepped back with a pitiful look, pointed to her forehead, shook her head and shouted "very bad headache, very bad, please, please just go away!" before gesturing to the door.

This was the final nail in the coffin; we walked out and informed her that we wouldn't be coming back and also that we were very disappointed because of the fantastic times we'd had previously. Our words fell on deaf ears by the looks of things as she was already pulling more dishes of chicken curry from the dumb waiter.

So all-in-all we're incredibly disappointed, we're definitely not going back and will also be telling all our friends to stay away. We'll now be making another trip back to Viet-Anh on Parkway ASAP (which we haven't been to for such a long time) and will be hoping for a much better experience.

Buzzcut