Thanh Binh

14 Chalk Farm Road, London, NW1 8AG - View on a map

I've eaten at Vietnamese restaurants in a couple of continents and this is the second worst one I've been to.

The service was average. I was surprised at vietnamese bubble teas not being included in the menu, but that was all there was for surprises.

Food was equally average. I ordered my favourite Vietnamese dish - Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Pork over Vermicelli Noodles) which is always accompanied by one of my favourite sauces in the whole world, Nuoc cham. They were both a huge disappointment. The pork didn't taste right nor did the sauce, which had a tad too much fish sauce making it rather more vinegar-y than it's meant to be and stealing away the whole point of the sauce which is to be beautifully complementing.

I will not be going back. I am still looking for the best Vietnamese restaurant in town!

moshimoshineko - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, January 09, 2013

I have been coming to this lovely restaurant for over ten years now as it is one of my favourites. I LOVE vietnamese food and this restaurant has a lot of choice on the menu from PHO to chargrilled noodle salads and can't forget the clay pot dishes! I am suprised to see some of the negative comments about the service as I am always treated like family at this restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant, I always bring friends along to share my lovely experience!

Rachel
Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My girlfriend loves Vietnamese and asked me to pick up a takeaway The rude and aggresive lady on the phone got the order mixed up and instead of putting it right, insisted that i should give my order in person 'if I like her food'. I gave my order at the restaurant, but there was another mix up when I picked up the food. There was a stressed and unfriendly atmosphere at the restaurant. Anyway we finally ate the takeaway and discovered another mistake. The soups were watery with poor rations of meat. Poor product, awful service - seems to target innocent unknowing Camden tourists - avoid!

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Absolutely disgusting treatment. Apalling service. The woman I assume managed or owned the place rudely interrupted our meal (which was overpriced and average- I've eaten at multitudes of Vietnamese restaurants here, in Australia and in Asia), to demand we move tables for her booking of 9. I was shocked at the rough and uncouth manner in which she demanded this and then again insisted at the arrival of the table of 9. I was poised chopstick to lips, when I was again brutally asked to move. I was appalled. There are no words to describe her level of rudeness! She seemed to be disorganised, ( though the restaurant was empty!) , greedy and nasty to her staff. The whole experience was insulting. My boyfriend and I left our starters half eaten and walked out, paying for our starters and flatly refusing to foot the bill for drinks we didnt consume though we were almost bullied to. To dine there and be treated so badly would imply one has no dignity and self respect- we promptly went to La Du Du in west hampstead where the food was exceptional, service brilliant, atmosphere buzzing and very cool, staff happy and prices much less expensive!

Saturday, December 08, 2012

I am very surprised with all those great comments as my boyfriend is vietnamese and they served us one of the worst pho we ever had.

This was a very disapointing experience. The stock was bland, there were no herbs at all in the soup, only spring onions... I had a pho ga and the chicken was dry and tasted like a rosted chicken that they cut into pieces once cooked and threw in the stock, not like a chicken that would have cooked in the stock for hours. My boyfriend had a classic pho and for both of us the noodles were very sticky and too thin, not the usual pho noodles. They didn't have the proper side herbs that go with a pho, and the hoi sin was simply disgusting! It was extremely sweet and didn't even tasted like hoi sin.

Very, very disapointing, we'll clearly never go back.

Lga