Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester

The Dorchester, Park Lane, Mayfair, London, W1K 1QA - View on a map

Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester Restaurant In London

Guardian

Matthew Norman

Saturday, February 06, 2010 - The splendour there lay mostly with the aesthetics. Ducasse's proxy, Jocelyn Herland, produces dishes that are genuinely beautiful to the eye, but less memorable to the tastebud than that triple-star rating might suggest. The one expression of genius was a signature dish of roast chicken somehow given the texture of souffle with lobster, pasta and sweetbreads in a sensational creamy, truffly sauce. Soft-boiled organic egg with crayfish and wild mushrooms in a Nantua sauce was 'fine but not full of flavour'.

We had the taster menu on Wednesday 16th of January at Alain Ducasse the Dorchester and the only thing that is memorable about it is the bill.

I must admit that the service was attentive – but the food did not have the ‘wow’ factor that I would expect from a 3 star Michelin restaurant and a £380 bill.

The only time I thought any of the food was ‘divine’ was the last dish which was a fruity sorbet, the rest was either okay, very salty or just quite nice.

Honestly, one of the courses was brussels sprouts leaves and cabbage on a damp duxelle of mushrooms covered in melted cheese!

I am truly disappointed and thinking what a waste of money it was – especially since my husband and I had saved up to come as a Christmas present to each other.

It is a classic case of Alain Ducasse, 3 star Michelin restaurant at the Dorchester being ‘product oriented’ rather than ‘marketing oriented’. They will not be able to rely on this reputation unless they satisfy customers needs and wants, which they are currently not doing.

What a waste of money - but at least we will remember it for that !

D Moore
Sunday, January 20, 2013

I had high expectations going to this restaurant.

To make it short - every star is fully deserved.

Creative and amazing food ***

Service is attentive, but not invasive. ***

Value for money ***

Would I go back? Oh yes. Actually I can't wait to go again.

jensk
Friday, October 12, 2012

Went here for lunch and choose the 4 course a la carte for £100. I sat at the window in the corner which was nice as i was dining solo. However there was a wedding party behind me in a private room so it was a bit noisy with screaming kids.

My dishes were:

Amuse bouche of sea urchin

Starter of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta

Fish of simmered halibut, celeriac, shellfish and squid

Rib and saddle of venison Grand-Veneur, pumpkin, beetroot and quince

Pre-dessert of chocolates, macaroons and fudge pieces

Chocolate souffle, vanilla ice cream

Each one was delicious. The stand out dish was the starter (it's one of Mr Ducasse's signature dishes). The lobster went amazingly with the jaw-dropping delicious pasta.

The service was excellent, efficient and friendly. The manager came round to introduce herself and welcome me back to the restaurant. Still no kitchen tour though!

Mr CM
Friday, April 13, 2012

I booked at the Alain Ducasse for my 40 birthday, as I wanted to treat myself an my companion to a great Ducasse's culinary experience.

I have to admit that, although the service was impeccable, I left the place very disappointed by the food!

Mixing too many flavours in a dish seemed to be the common denominator, unfortunately not with the aim to provide the customer with the ultimate gastronomic experience. In fact, the result of putting together the most luxurious ingredients such as lobster and Alba truffle was simple wrong!

This is definitely not a 3 Michelin star restaurant - in fact, even one could be a robbery. And an average dinner with 2 starters, 2 mains, a small birthday cake and 2 glasses of Champagne at the price of £350 was indeed a robbery!

PP
Saturday, March 03, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Friday, October 22, 2010 - As for the savoury courses, the best bits were very nice, and the worst bits were never inedible, and all the time the staff were pleasant and knowledgeable and, like seasoned stage actors, pitch-perfect in timing and delivery...It felt odd sitting amongst the splendour and theatrics of this grand old hotel, with all the superficial trimmings of A World Class Meal, choosing from a menu designed to excite any discerning fan of haute cuisine and yet still somehow being underwhelmed with the results.