Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester

The Dorchester, Park Lane, Mayfair, London, W1K 1QA - View on a map

Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester Restaurant In London

Guardian

Matthew Norman

Saturday, February 06, 2010 - The splendour there lay mostly with the aesthetics. Ducasse's proxy, Jocelyn Herland, produces dishes that are genuinely beautiful to the eye, but less memorable to the tastebud than that triple-star rating might suggest. The one expression of genius was a signature dish of roast chicken somehow given the texture of souffle with lobster, pasta and sweetbreads in a sensational creamy, truffly sauce. Soft-boiled organic egg with crayfish and wild mushrooms in a Nantua sauce was 'fine but not full of flavour'.

We had the taster menu on Wednesday 16th of January at Alain Ducasse the Dorchester and the only thing that is memorable about it is the bill.

I must admit that the service was attentive – but the food did not have the ‘wow’ factor that I would expect from a 3 star Michelin restaurant and a £380 bill.

The only time I thought any of the food was ‘divine’ was the last dish which was a fruity sorbet, the rest was either okay, very salty or just quite nice.

Honestly, one of the courses was brussels sprouts leaves and cabbage on a damp duxelle of mushrooms covered in melted cheese!

I am truly disappointed and thinking what a waste of money it was – especially since my husband and I had saved up to come as a Christmas present to each other.

It is a classic case of Alain Ducasse, 3 star Michelin restaurant at the Dorchester being ‘product oriented’ rather than ‘marketing oriented’. They will not be able to rely on this reputation unless they satisfy customers needs and wants, which they are currently not doing.

What a waste of money - but at least we will remember it for that !

D Moore
Sunday, January 20, 2013

I had high expectations going to this restaurant.

To make it short - every star is fully deserved.

Creative and amazing food ***

Service is attentive, but not invasive. ***

Value for money ***

Would I go back? Oh yes. Actually I can't wait to go again.

jensk
Friday, October 12, 2012

Went here for lunch and choose the 4 course a la carte for £100. I sat at the window in the corner which was nice as i was dining solo. However there was a wedding party behind me in a private room so it was a bit noisy with screaming kids.

My dishes were:

Amuse bouche of sea urchin

Starter of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta

Fish of simmered halibut, celeriac, shellfish and squid

Rib and saddle of venison Grand-Veneur, pumpkin, beetroot and quince

Pre-dessert of chocolates, macaroons and fudge pieces

Chocolate souffle, vanilla ice cream

Each one was delicious. The stand out dish was the starter (it's one of Mr Ducasse's signature dishes). The lobster went amazingly with the jaw-dropping delicious pasta.

The service was excellent, efficient and friendly. The manager came round to introduce herself and welcome me back to the restaurant. Still no kitchen tour though!

Mr CM
Friday, April 13, 2012

I booked at the Alain Ducasse for my 40 birthday, as I wanted to treat myself an my companion to a great Ducasse's culinary experience.

I have to admit that, although the service was impeccable, I left the place very disappointed by the food!

Mixing too many flavours in a dish seemed to be the common denominator, unfortunately not with the aim to provide the customer with the ultimate gastronomic experience. In fact, the result of putting together the most luxurious ingredients such as lobster and Alba truffle was simple wrong!

This is definitely not a 3 Michelin star restaurant - in fact, even one could be a robbery. And an average dinner with 2 starters, 2 mains, a small birthday cake and 2 glasses of Champagne at the price of £350 was indeed a robbery!

PP
Saturday, March 03, 2012

Exquisite service and an amazingly plush decor.

Having eaten at most of the michelin starred restaurants in London, including the pair of 3 michelin starred restaurants in Bray I must agree with a previous comment left here - namely that one should manage their expectations carefully before venturing to this restaurant. The food was distinctly mediocre.

The Michelin stars on this occassion have clearly been awarded to Mr Ducasse and not to the restaurants food.

Go for the experience and to say that you have been if you are that way inclined otherwise worth giving this one a wide berth.

KB - View all reviews by this user
Friday, July 08, 2011

I wish I had the typing skills and / or time to write a proper review but I don't so all I will say is that we had a wonderful lunch at Alain Ducasse today, me, my wife and my daughter.

It more than lived up to our expectations in every respect. I would wholeheartedly recommend it for a special experience. The whole experience from the moment you arrive at the Dorchester is special. We will go back for sure!

David Moed
Thursday, May 26, 2011

The best advice I can give to anyone considering dining at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester is decide in advance what exactly you're looking for in the experience. This might sound odd but a trip to a very expensive French restaurant, awarded with 3 Michelin Stars, means the diner is likely to arrive with a certain amount of expectations and the only way to get the most out of this is to decide why you're really going there.

Service - it's faultless. It is amazing and the best we've ever experienced. The staff will do ANYTHING to ensure your experience is wonderful. Examples of this include... seating us an hour after our booking, to let us enjoy a drink at the Dorchester Bar first... complimentary champagne... letting us change tables according to our preference (despite it being a busy Friday night)... giving us a second amuse bouche simply because really enjoy the first one... the list goes on.

Food - it's undeniably very good, but not the very best we've had. The cooking at Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley, or the Ledbury in Notting Hill, and even Claridges with only 1 Michelin Star seemed to be better. That's not to say it's NOT good but it's hard to see why it deserves the third Michelin star when others do not. Perhaps it's the service. The biggest frustration is the steep £10 supplement that is applied to a dish like beef for the main courses - you can understand it perhaps with something like lobster, but beef? Additionally, Ducasse's meat and fish signature main courses are only available at the supplemented cost. It gives the sense of "yes - you can try his best cooking, but you'll pay for it". Not quite right when you're already paying £78 for a 3 course meal. The biggest frustration before is the limitation of the meat options, of which there were only 4; one option was pigeon, another was pork with pig's ear, black pudding and tongue; another was veal (which you probably wouldn't opt for if you knew how it was produced...); and finally, the beef - which you must pay £10 more for. No poultry, no lamb, no game - it seemed surprising.

Value - whilst the service includes amuse bouches, delightful cheese puffs, home baked macaroons and so on, the price is expensive versus the ingredients used. £78 for 3 courses is in iself understandable at this type of restaurant, but not with additional £10 supplements. The wine list is ludicrous. 1 bottle of red wine at £25, a few at £35 or £45 - and then the rest is generally over £80, £90 or even £100. Bottles at £450 or perhaps £3,500 are commonplace on the menu. It really defies belief.

Ambience - it's very pleasant, but perhaps an odd location within the Dorchester itself. On the Park Lane side, the blue flashing lights are frequent on a Friday night, as is the sight of traffic if you're dining during the daytime. I would've thought the Grill at the Dorchester should occupy this space and Alain Ducasse's restaurant should occupy the Grill's area.

So to sum up, it's a mixed bag. If you're looking for service above anything else - you won't be disappointed it. If you're looking for the best cooking in London, the 3 Michelin stars sadly doesn't guarantee that. If you're looking for diversity with the pricing of the wine line - that just doesn't existp; similarly, if you're looking for a restaurant with innovative and creative decor, you might be disappointed. Therefore, it's best to be fully informed and aware of the shortcomings... and if you don't mind the downsides, you'll have a wonderful and truly memorable experience.

Dom
Monday, May 23, 2011

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Friday, October 22, 2010 - As for the savoury courses, the best bits were very nice, and the worst bits were never inedible, and all the time the staff were pleasant and knowledgeable and, like seasoned stage actors, pitch-perfect in timing and delivery...It felt odd sitting amongst the splendour and theatrics of this grand old hotel, with all the superficial trimmings of A World Class Meal, choosing from a menu designed to excite any discerning fan of haute cuisine and yet still somehow being underwhelmed with the results.