Da Mario

63 Endell Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9AJ - View on a map

Da Mario Restaurant In London

I have raved about Da Mario on a number of occasions, simply everything you could ever want in an Italian restaurant: family-run, great food, inventive specials, lovely wines, charming service, nice surroundings, good vibe, no hassle of any kind, and no serious damage to your wallet. Perfect. Unbeatable.

I'm spending most of my time in Dubai these days, and what I wouldn't give for a Da Mario out here. I've been reading the latest reviews just to remind myself of what I'm missing, and I couldn't resist chipping in again.

I'll be back in London in October, and no prizes for guessing where I'll be heading!

Martin
Thursday, July 11, 2013

One of the better Italian restaurants in the area. Fair value but still not cheap. Two average starters, (very good) sea bass and seafood spaghetti for mains, and two coffees came to £52 (including service) Pleasant and helpful service.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Four years in London and still one of the best family-run Italian restaurants. Perfect for italian food lovers, food lovers, romantic dates and small groups of friends or colleagues.

Italian food is easy to make, some even say it tastes better at home, but because its easy it must be cooked to perfection.

I believe that an Italian knows that serving a good wine is everything.A real Italian restaurant will not dare to serve wine which tastes like diluted vinegar. A good Italian will offer a range of national wines. An excellent Italian will pick the best national canteens per grape variety.

Da Mario is an excellent italian restaurant. Da Mario has always managed to keep high standards throughout the years serving clean, tasty and appetising courses.

What i truly love about this restaurant is its menu which always has an additional daily special allowing the customer to try different, less renowned yet still beautifully cooked dishes.

The service it extremely welcoming and i would say very Italian. Professional, with good and clear explanations, sometimes accompanied with a joke and most important of all with an Italian accent.

Let's begin. An appetiser will lead you into the meal. My favorite are the cold dishes whether its a caprese or a delicate carpaccio di tonno.

The pastas are a joy to watch, to smell and you cannot wait to for them to be served. You will find yourself staring at the table next to you thinking "delicious". My favourite above all is the spaghetti al sapore di mare (seafood spaghetti). i truly recommend the tagliolini al tartufo nero (black truffle), the ravioli burro e salvia and the daily special because they are, as i said, fantastic.

As a second course, if you're still hungry, I would suggest choosing for yourself as everyone has different preferences. I had some very nice tiger prawns, a lovely fegato alla veneziana (not everyone's favorite) and a very tasty veal.

Did not really like the branzino unfortunately.

Dessert is always a strong point. What can i say "the simplest things are always the best". I cannot emphasis how breath taking the tiramisu is although i'm more of an affogato al caffè type of person.

Da Mario can promise a genuine and memorable experience. What it cannot promise is a table as it's either fully booked or simply full specially on a saturday.

Mattia
Tuesday, April 02, 2013

We were so lucky to find this lovely restaurant in Covent Garden. The food i had, exceeded all expectations, the best i had for long time and the fact that on a Monday night we had to wait for a table suggests that it is popular restaurant for a reason. We will definitely be back.

lilly
Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Food is excellent, service very professional and a lovely atmosphere. We will go back when back in london and tell all our friends..

malu
Friday, May 04, 2012

it was ok. nothing special. may return if in the area.

emily porter
Sunday, December 11, 2011

Another visit (5th) to Da Marios proves yet again a fantastic evening with great food. Staff still friendly and efficient and food tasty and very good value. Will return.

Carolyn Ager
Friday, December 02, 2011

A truly excellent experience. This is definitely one to come back to.

Food - wow. I'm only dropping a point because I thought certain items were lacking in flavour. But every other aspect was spot on. All ingredients were cooked to perfection and the presentation was worthy of a Michelin star.

Their service is an example to all other restaurants. I was early for a booking but they didn't make a fuss. They just made a few notes on their sheet, gave me a table and made a joke out of it. Given that this was their busiest night of the week, I thought this was quite impressive. I would have accepted a short wait. Furthermore, even on their busiest night, they didn't keep anyone waiting. The kitchen must have been flat out.

The decor in this place is amazing! It's very modern - rather like one of those showcase dining rooms in a home improvement store, but with a lived-in look. It is a bit cramped but the use of space doesn't make you feel uneasy. You're not knocking elbows with other diners. It would be quite easy to have a private conversation here.

And I have no idea how they do all this for the price. With two three-course meals plus drinks for around £50, I do hope this restaurant will be open for a long time to come.

Alan Ingham - View all reviews by this user