Negril

132 Brixton Hill, London, SW2 1RS - View on a map

The food here USED to be ok, but my recent trip was a huge disappointment. The curries are just bland gravy rubbish with little actual meat in them and the jerk chicken was as dry as a desert. We were sitting inside (it took nearly an hour to get served) and could hear the microwave pinging constantly. Will not go back. Very overpriced for the amount of food and all you get is presentation... staff are rude.

Jimmy Blake
Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Last summer i was there at least 3 times a month, loved the food and service was.... to be honest ok. Food was making up for it.

Last month i went there, service was rude and chicken dry but as I really liked this place went there again last week and sadly have to say that was last time!

Me and my partner notices chips were just not not good (old?) as we both notice it, i let waitress know. What surprise I had when she just took one chip and tried it :o Then she pulled face and said, they great but if you dont want them I take them back. Well I do want chips, but she refused to change them!!!! Looked at me and again said: You want it or not? WOW WOW WOW

Im sorry Negrill you lost two good customers and I make sure never ever to recomend it to anyone. (I use to)

Called with complain last week, spoke with lovely girl, been promised call back from manager. Never happened !!!

Patrycja
Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Best Caribbean restaurant in London!

loubelou
Saturday, March 03, 2012

The reviewer called Saron who posted on Sep 18th must know the owners!

I've lived in Brixton for 10 years, and Negril always prided itself on it's organic ingredients. That seems to have been quietly shelved.

I went there for dinner recently and it was excellent. Not amazingly cheap, but Caribbean food doesn't tend to be round here.

Went there this morning for breakfast. Took 1-20 minutes to actually get menus and get order taken, and that was only because we were strenuously looking for a waiter to get served.

Full English, with tea included, was 7.95. One sausage, 1 egg, 2 slices of very fatty streaky bacon, beans, 4 slices of toast, mushrooms, half of one grilled or fried tomato. For £8. Seriously overpriced, a greasy spoon would give you more food, and the same quality, for a lot less, and the tea would be proper builders tea as well. And it took us over an hour to get in and out of there.

Worth a try for dinner/normal menu, but not for breakfast-it's definitely living off past glories on that one. I think it does well as it's a quirky spot, but ultimately, the breakfast is just not very good and is expensive. Sorry.

bootsy
Saturday, January 21, 2012

Got a lot of Creole and Indo-Trini friends so know my roti and phoulourie well. I'm also of Sri Lankan origin, so I know my curry too.

Good things - charming, knowledgeable service. Rustic venue. Ting.

Bad things - awful, stone cold food. Yes, the portions are massive but OMG, ten inch rotis don't deserve five one inch cubes of chicken. The guys at Roti Joupa and Quashie's are so much more generous with their meat (at much lower prices). BBQ ribs were undercooked and the rice and peas; inedible. Why? It had clearly been sitting out for 8 hours since lunchtime and I had to point out to the waitress that it needed resteaming. Festivals - dry and microwaved; could've been steamed/refried or even made fresh instead. I had to tell other diners to save their money and go elsewhere instead.

Sajini
Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Be cautious of some of the very poor reviews on this site about Negril (they're possibly written by the same author / a rival restaurant and should be ashamed of themselves). I've been to Negril a few times now and on each occasion enjoyed the food. The speed and friendliness of the service was good. The portions are generous. The prices? - maybe just a little overpriced. The interior decor is pleasant, but quite plain. There's an outside area for smokers and good weather dining. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. Try for yourself.

Sharon
Sunday, September 18, 2011

been meaning to go to this place for ages so we decided to pop along on a Wednesday night. despite the place not being very full it took over an hour for the food to come and when it did it was could and frankly rubbish. the curries were just bland gravy. we were sitting near to the kitchen and could see most of the food was coming out of the freezer and almost everything was microwaved. You could hear the ping every two seconds. Quite disappointed as I had heard that this place was once great. Heard the owner had sold the place. NOT RECOMENDED

Claire whittle