The Knaypa Restaurant

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Our party of eight had a great experience at the Knaypa last night. We booked a table in the rustically decorated basement area where we were looked after by an efficient waiter from Poland who patiently guided us through the menu. There were six British Poles among us, who had fairly high standards and specific requests, and we all left happy, full, and a little bit tipsy...

All of the starters were tasty and substantial, from the croquettes (krokiety) and beetroot soup (barszcz) to the hearty steak tartar with garnishes of pickled cucumbers and mushrooms, onions and mustard, which was ordered by two of us but sampled by most.

We ordered a wide range of mains and thoroughly enjoyed them all. My partner and I shared the traditional polish platter of pierogi, bigos and golabki and others had the pork cutlet (kotlet schabowy) and beef roulade. The surprise winner was the roasted duck breast, not perhaps the first thing one associates with Polish cuisine, but so succulent and juicy that our Muslim friend couldn't stop raving about it.

We finished with elaborately garnished and equally tasty apple cake and ice cream. Topping everything off was varied drink selection - several polish beers on tap and in the bottle, a nice wine list including selections from Eastern Europe and a large menu of vodkas at very reasonable prices. We split a bottle of Zoladkowa Gorzka - served freezer chilled in a bucket of ice with chilled shot glasses - all nice touches. Na zdrowie!

Ian R
Sunday, November 04, 2012

Hi there! I am so surprised reading all these negative comments about The Knaypa. I have been there so many times (including my civil wedding) and cannot be more pleased! Food is DELICIOUS, freshly cooked and nicely served. Staff is always polite and helpful. The atmosphere is just wonderful - romantic upstairs, great for dinner for two, and little 'montain style' tawern downstairs - great to spend nice time with group of friends. Prices are high but relevant to quality and quantity!

I am highly reccomending The Knaypa to everyone!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

In The Knaypa restaurant we had a son's christening party.

Food was more the delicious, service was great - staff went extra mile to make us happy.

The Knaypa manager was extremely helpful, we could rely on his suggestions. My guests, my husband and myself we will remember this evening for a long time, thanks to great atmosphere, caring and very professional manager and dedicated staff.

awroblewski
Monday, August 01, 2011

did not enjoy it! once we arrived to the restaurant we had to wait for few minutes to be seated. I did not have a time to sit properly because menu was pushed into my hand. We have ordered coffee and glass of wine, that was brought to us after 20 min of waiting and waitress forgot to bring sugar! 10 min later waitress brought main dish, i was a bit anxious that he has forgotten about our salads too, so i asked for it and got reply: " i got only 2 hands" !

menu does not say anything about service charge and we were charged 12.5% without our knowledge

definitely will NOT go there again!

Monday, July 11, 2011

In April I had my wedding reception in "The Knaypa". The food was adequate. The drinks were too expensive. The room downstairs doesnt fit 40 people there were 30 of us and we were just able to fit. All of our requirements were not fulfilled. It ruined our beautiful day. We were extremely disappointed. We would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Anita
Thursday, June 16, 2011

We went to the Knaypa on a Sunday evening, it was quiet when we arrived but it livened up later on. The restaurant was fairly small but had a nice atmosphere.

The food was excellent, reasonable priced for large portions which arrived quickly. As a first time for eating Polish food I was very impressed and would recommend anyone to try it.

The service was very good. Our waiter was very polite and helpful, offering advice on the best way to get a selection of Polish dishes.

The only downside was that the wine wasnt chilled, but the waiter did apologise and stated it was because the one wine which wasnt in the fridge.

Overall a good experience.

Ian