Le Dolomiti

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Who would have thought that opposite the burger king (that has taken over a rather nice looking pub), on Five Ways and it's roar of traffic, you can find one of the most lovely restaurants?

Enter to the bar area with comfy seating and a warm smile from the staff. Have a quick drink or be seated straight away - it's up to you and you are not pressured either way.

If you've ever been to Italy you will be taken back to your favourite restaurant there. The decor is traditional and I never want them to modernise it: there are enough generic chain restaurants thank you very much.

The friendly service doesn't disappear at the door. They are attentive but don't crowd you. Bubbly but not OTT.

The place starts to fill up at about 7.45 on a Saturday (when we visited). I suspect it's more intuition than science that means guests are seated close enough together to create a warm atmosphere but far enough apart so your table can have a conversation with ease. Music plays quietly in the background.

We had two prawn cleopatras and a prawn cocktail to start with. (By this time we had decided that retro was the way to go). A perfect amount of prawn/crab to sauce ratio alongside the most perfectly ripe and tasty avocados we've ever had.

Then we had a fillet steak with Diane sauce, Chicken Malanzane and a Rib-eye steak. You are given a choice of handcut chips, sauté potatoes and boiled potatoes. Everything came out perfectly, at the same time.

The fillet was £18. The reasonable price does not mean they compromise on quality or quantity: it was a great steak. The other dishes are around £12 in price and are worth every penny.

We will be visiting again, and again, and again.

Richard B
Sunday, September 23, 2012

On several occasions recently when I have dined at this excellent restaurant with my family and friends, I have had to reluctantly decline the sweet menu as I have literally felt "full" after enjoying such generous starter and main courses.

I am determined next time to forgo the ample starters availabe in order to induldge in the tempting delights of the sweet trolley.

Everytime we visit this lovely restaurant, those at my table always comment not only on the taste of the superb fresh food but also on the friendliness of the helpful staff as well as the wonderful ambience and atmosphere created here.

THESE are the reasons why we revisit time and again.

Try it .........you ll do the same.

David Ironmonger