Mem & Laz

8 Theberton Street, Islington, London, N1 0QX - View on a map

Stunned by some of the reviews I have read so far. I must have been to Mem and Laz seven or eight times over the last few years and have not had a single bad experience. The food is very reasonably priced - large portions for modest prices, if the restaurant was located further West, the price would likely double.

The quality of the food is excellent and massively varied, with plenty of vegetarian options.

They cram you in like sardines and you can hear your neighbours' conversations, which is a minor gripe but adds to the atmosphere. Similarly, the staff don't have a great handle of English so I expect they are not great at handling complaints but overall the service is very good. I personally would rather have someone regularly refilling my glass than letting it sit empty and I think that is also the Mediterranean mentality and not a sales tactic.

Overall, top quality food, good wine, affordable and excellent atmosphere. One of my favourite establishments.

Martin