The Clissold Arms

115 Fortis Green, Muswell Hill, London, N2 9HR - View on a map

The Clissold Arms Restaurant In London

I used to eat Sunday Roast here regularly and it was fantastic. In the years right after the refurb. As I was in the area today I thought I'd phone them on the off chance of getting a table. My first warning should have been that, unlike the old days, they could fit us right in pretty much all afternoon. Second warning was the horror make-under of the outside area and the huge sign outside that they now host Mother and Baby, Weightwatchers and several other clubs throughout the week in order, presumably, to make ends meet since their food and drinks are so clearly now failing in that regard. Third warning sign, on entering the pub/restaurant there was a plentiful number of staff all of whom were sadly, and rather strangely, avoiding eye contact and provided no kind of welcome in spite of many empty tables. Warning sign 4, we were seated at a table laid out with fresh cutlery and glasses but still a bit grubby and scattered with crumbs from the previous occupants - the waitress either didn't notice it or thought this was the norm.

We ordered 2 adult and 1 child Sunday Roast....this place has always been fairly pricey and that was fine when we left with full and happy tummies....the thrown together plates that arrived 2 1/2 mins later were nothing short of disgraceful. Unpleasant meat, all overseasoned, roast potatoes that had been waiting for us for far too long. It really isn't on to serve up this rubbish and still charge top dollar. People notice and they don't come back. Wake up and smell the coffee - it isn't the recession causing your empty tables. Find a chef who can cook a decent roast. It isn't rocket science. Decide what you want to be and do it well. Trying to be 20 conflicting things all at the same time creates the most horrific ambience. Ask your staff to put a godamn smile on their face. I won't be back. I left feeling mugged. Altogether undelicious. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID.

Sarah G