The Earl Spencer

260-262 Merton Road, Southfields, London, SW18 5JL - View on a map

The Earl Spencer Restaurant In London

One thing they do really well is Sea Bass. Came here in July 2016, I'm not usually a fish eater but was the only thing I wanted to try from the menu. I must say it was the best thing I'd eaten in ages and could have happily eaten more!! Served with crushed potatoes in a sauce, magnificent. Definitely made a fish eater out of me!! I'd love the recipe.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

There are three pubs worth going to in Southfields. The Gardener’s, The Earl Spencer and The Park Tavern. The Earl Spencer used to be my favourite. I first started coming to this pub a year ago, when I moved to the area from Putney. And to begin with I was very happy.

There was a good food offering, a pretty good selection of beers and a good wine menu. It’s the closest to a ‘gastro pub’ you’ll find in this area - certainly out of the three. The menu is a little on the pricey side and probably a little too extensive for one that changes daily – and this, for me, is where the problem really lies. The dishes sound great, but recently, some have been poorly made.

I like the Earl Spencer so much I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when I went back several times to sample the food. But ‘disappointed’ only goes some way to describing how I felt. I also noticed that the prices on the wine list had gone up – I mentioned it, as my bill was more than I was expecting. I was told I was wrong. I wasn’t. I actually don’t mind paying an extra £5 for their delicious white rioja, but don’t treat me like an idiot. Be honest and just say ‘we’ve had to put our prices up’.

Sadly, this place shows all the hallmarks of a once great pub in decline. And if the management don’t make improvements, they will lose more business. So how can we stop this from happening? Hopefully, they will listen to reviews like this.

They should reduce the menu to a more manageable size and perhaps just do a few things really well, rather than try to do a lot of different things – some well, some not so well. Perhaps a selection of constants and a couple of changes to the specials would work out better for them and for us, the customers? What’s their signature dish? What’s the one thing they do really well, or that they are famous for? At the moment, I can’t think what that might be.

There is a sign in the window that says ‘chef wanted’ so hopefully that will bring a change for the better.

I say ‘hopefully’ as I really, really want to love The Earl Spencer again.

Dan - View all reviews by this user