Pacific Oriental

52 Threadneedle Street, Bank, London, EC2R 8AR - View on a map

Pacific Oriental Restaurant In London

Shocking experience, will never be back.

In the second week of December 2012, my husband and I and two friends arrived at the restaurant at about 18:15. We were shown upstairs to our table and were advised that there was a large party (12 or so diners) who were there for a Christmas do, and if we wanted to avoid a delay we should order before them. We appreciated the advice and quickly ordered our starters and mains together, before the party did.

We enjoyed our starters of crispy aromatic duck. And waited for the mains to arrive. And waited, and waited. We waited for almost 90 minutes for the food to arrive – in this time the party of 12 had their starters and mains and another table of two who arrived after us received their food and had already finished their entire meal before we even glimpsed our main course.

Not once did the waiting staff come over to explain the delay. We had to convince a waiter to come and explain the delay. Our glasses were long empty and we advised that if patrons wait this long, it is customary for a drink to be offered on the house. The bartender said ok, she will check if that can be arranged and she never came back. Another 15 minutes passed and we asked to see the manager, who was by no means a manager at all! His attitude was absolutely disgraceful. He blamed us for taking too long with our starters and said that we took too long to order – this was the same staff member who advised us to order early to avoid a delay. We let him know that we were not happy about the situation and that dozens of people had eaten already and we haven’t received so much as an apology. We asked to speak to his manager, and all he said that he was the manager. The staff informed us that the real manager was having a dinner with some important people and could not tend to our concerns. What use is it employing a manager who cannot even fill his capacity as the manager of the establishment?

The food eventually arrived and my order was incorrect. I ordered the Laksa, which on the menu comes with prawns and fish cakes – my bowl was nearly cold and had tofu and nothing else in it. Not one staff member came to check if everything was in order – I had to go to the bar and let your staff know my order was incorrect. The waiter then tried to convince me that what I had was prawn and fishcakes – what an absolute insult, there was not one piece of fish in that bowl. I asked for the dish to be removed from the bill. And I quickly lost my appetite.

The only person that we believed salvaged the night was the sommelier. He, in essence tried to take on the role as manager and tried to alleviate our dissatisfaction. He was very understanding and apologetic, which is far more than anyone else was and is the right attitude to achieve customer satisfaction. He offered us a drink on the house and arranged to have the service charge removed from the bill. Both he and us were put in an extremely uncomfortable and unfair position, whereby the customer was blamed for the staff’s mistakes and he was thrust into a position of power. He did the restaurant proud.

Jingo L