The Paddyfield

4 Bedford Hill, Balham, London, SW12 9RG - View on a map

We visited The Paddy Field as I had driven past this restaurant many times and we love Thai food.

The service was appalling - it took two hours to complete a simple meal order and when I asked several times 'any chance our food will come anytime soon' I was told we are very busy with take-aways tonight ! I always thought restaurants prioritise their sit in customers but this was clearly not the case at The Paddy Field.

The food was poor to average - fish cake starter portion was tiny and the fish cakes were greasy. The main was poor and full of oil.

The person running the restaurant offered us some desserts to say sorry - and when we had then waited another 30 minutes and nothing arrived we asked for the bill and we asked to take the 15% service charge of the bill as we had, had no real service. The manager (I assume he was the manager) was unhelpful and said 'we had said enough' when we said the meal was terrible and the service was poor too !

A real shame - since we are local. We will carry on going to The Pepper Tree in Clapham where the service is efficient, the food is excellent and it's half the price for good food !!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Popped in for a take out tonight.....was recommended the chicken and peanut curry and was DEE-LICIOUS! Super-friendly staff. Gave me some rice to go with the curry at no extra cost. Food arrived within minutes. £6 all in and they flat out refused a tip! Wish more restaurants would be this friendly....will definitely be going back!

Will / The Shark
Thursday, January 31, 2013

I've been going there since 2001. Leave everything to the owner Shaun, put your trust in Shaun and you're guaranteed the most fabulous meal. I've enjoyed every night I've been to the Paddyfield and am looking forward to some more. Also, best value meal in town and great you can bring your own booze. Big thumbs up. Brian (and Carla).

Brian Moore (and Carla)
Monday, January 07, 2013

I can't believe that anyone would go here more than once. This place is the restaurant equivalent of a car wash; you go in, get whizzed around and spat out again. The food was rubbish. Typical comment 'beef pho tasted like soap' and 'the pad thai was really eggy'.

Really never again.

Maryan
Saturday, November 17, 2012

Have to say, our meal was very bad. The crab cakes were like rubbery hockey pucks and the mains were amongst the worst we've ever seen. The baby corn was limp and it would take a braver man to eat the squid and mussel that came with the pad thai. We went wanting some simple and tasty thai food but afraid we left disappointed and wishing we'd gone elsewhere.

Emma J - View all reviews by this user
Friday, August 24, 2012

FOUR ENTHUSIASTIC THUMBS UP. (We only have four between us). The first time I have felt moved to leave a review.

I am a pretty relaxed restaurant goer; a mixture of inexperience and open mindedness often leaves me in a state of panic when I got to a restaurant for the first time. But I felt immediately comfortable in the Paddyfield.

The unpretentious decor, cramped tables, laminated red menus and Christmas themed playlist (even though it's April) make one feel immediately relaxed. Wham's Last Christmas immediately sent my girlfriend and I into a dizzy Christmassy boozy banter daze - we felt happy and festive and up for the evening.

Without the need to even contemplate the fusion of Thai and Vietnamese dishes that make up the menu - our kind and keen waiter (presumably hanging ten on the peak wave he had created with his Christmas playlist) asked us if we like surprises... doesn't everyone? we gave him a hell yes and an amen brother. He tore up the menu rule book right before our eyes. He crossed our orders off his little order book and sprang into the kitchen shouting 'SURPRISE THEM'.

We clung tightly to each other as he flung various dishes our way (all the things we actually ordered ended up with Bob and Babs who were cramped up next to us) a chicken thing, a beef thing, a curry thing, noodles, green chili's, red chili's, chili's in a sauce, it was like a culinary fireworks display.

I was shocked at the level of the 'surprise' - I thought a surprise might be a prawn cracker, or indeed with the playlist, an out of season Christmas cracker. But the Thai/Vietnamese taster menu that ensued was inconceivable and wondrously enjoyable. The authenticity of said food, by the way, would only be in doubt if you're an unwashed backpacker straight off the plane from Bangkok.

I highly reccomend a jolly at the Paddyfield - give it a go! Compared to some other higher charging establishments not too far away on Bedford Hill this place is a bargain.

Not reccomended for the following;

a) People who don't like human contact with other people (you will be cramped and have to have close proximity contact with others)

b) People who will only eat what they order and will not go along with 'surprises'.

c) People with no sense of humour - it is essential, anyone who takes themselves seriously will not fit in with the randomness of the staffs ordering procedures.

d) People who don't like listening to Christmas music when it is not Christmas.

bgg69 - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, April 29, 2012

Please don't listen to the negative reviews about this restaurant. The food is just as good as ever and we have never had a problem with the service. Me and my boyfriend go back every couple of months - we just can't get enough of their soups! The paddyfield salad and fresh spring rolls are to die for and much better than any I have eaten elsewhere.

The only thing I would say is that it isn't the most beautiful place in the world - it's small and functional - so if you're looking for luxury, this may not be the place for you!

Kate
Sunday, March 18, 2012

We did not have a very good experience at this restaurant with our recent booking for the following reasons.

1. We were a large group which it said on their website they could cater for but there was not enough space for us all to sit and we had to persuade them to add an extra table for our own comfort.

2. The price of the menu on the website is well out of date and most of the dishes were £9.99 instead of £6.90 which it says on the website.

3. None of the food came out at the same time so some people had finished their starters whilst others had not been given theirs.

4. At least four of the dishes were wrong and some dishes did not include the ingredients that they said on the menu.

5. Starters were small and the quality of the thai/vietnamese food was poor.

6. A 15% service charge is added to groups of 3 or more and the bill is not itemised.

7. Restaurant was cold and unwelcoming.

Would not recommend this restaurant for groups, or good food but the waiters were pleasant and the byo corkage fee is cheap.

Monday, December 12, 2011

A once cheap and cheerful place that got greedy. Small portions of overpriced, but average food.

brixton75
Monday, November 21, 2011

I went to the Paddyfield last week. I hadn't been there for nearly two years. The food was unfortunately not as good as it used to be. And the price is also quite expensive for a "cheap eats" place. We ordered the fish cakes to share. There were only three on the plate. I was expecting about six, which is what you would get in other restaurants. The head waiter/owner then put down a bowl of the seafood salad starter for us, and told us that it was "free". The seafood salad was quite nice and had lots of seafood in it, however, the flavour was ruined by the heavy use of garlic in the dish. It left a bitter aftertaste, and ruined my taste of the main course.

For the main course, I ordered the chicken coconut and basil stir fry with the coconut rice. My partner ordered the seafood pho. My main course was average, and not as fresh as it could have been. It tasted like it had been cooked a couple of days previously. Also, there was no basil in the dish, even though it had basil in the title! My partner's main course, the seafood pho was pretty much made in front of him. The bowl of hot water, seafood and noodles arrived, then the waiter came back with a plate of chilli peppers, herbs, ho sin sauce and another sauce, he then proceeded to put the things in to the bowl, and told my partner how to eat the dish. My partner has been to Vietnam before and lived on pho while he was out there. Although he thought that this one was ok, it wasn't a patch on the ones that he ate over in Vietnam. He even went as far as to say that the Wagamama's equivalent of pho tasted better than Paddyfield's!

One thing that did annoy me was that the "free" starter was not actually free. It slyly worked its way into the bill through the 15% service charge, and as an unknown item that was added to the bill. We were too polite to make a fuss, so we paid for it, and left. So, the bill needed up being £9 more than it should have been.

Ballu Sesay