The Royal Oak

73 Columbia Road, London, E2 7RG

My friends and I went to the Royal Oak on sunday and we were treated to the Worst customer service we have ever come across.

After 45minutes we had to ask for someone to take our order as were conscious they wanted the table back after 2 hours, when the food finally arrived after 1hr and 30mins, it was fairly good, although 2 of the pork belly were not cooked correctly- the crispy skin was actually plastic, so chewy that they couldn't eat it, the meat itself was undercooked, we knew they needed the table back in 30mins so didn't complain, just ate the other sides.

At the end of the meal the waitress came over and said "done"? We said yes however just a small criticism - the meat wasn't cooked, she went to get someone else who came over and started ranting about nobody else had complained, (it was early in the day- how much had they served?) she asked why didn't we tell her, I said that nobody had come to ask us how the meal was and we didn't have the time to wait for more food to be cooked- she then proceeded to rant that no other gastopubs ask how the food is (has she ever eaten out before???) I said that she didn't need to be so defensive and we didn't complain sooner as quite frankly what could she of done as we were due to be kicked off soon.

She then ranted about the fact that she had worked there 7 years (7 years too long) and she knew what she was talking about as if we were idiots that know nothing about cooking.

I told her we were merely making a remark and she should not EVER talk to her customers like that, we are doing her a favour and paying her wages by being there.

In the end she walked off, gave us the bill and said "well I've taken the food off anyway"- we didn't care about paying for it- we did however have a problem with paying service charge for the abuse that she gave us, so we didn't pay the service and we walked out.

Horrendous- the management need to stop thinking this pub will run on location alone- the staff are the worst we have ever come across- I will never eat there again!!!

Monday, October 10, 2011