The Sportsman

Telephone: 01227 273370

The Sportsman Restaurant In London

Guardian

John Lanchester

Saturday, February 26, 2011 - Mussel and bacon chowder with a garnish of ground bacon and chives, which was outstanding. Pintail duck, something I'd never eaten, was superb meat, beautifully cooked and rested, and came with the best bread sauce I've ever had. Home-cured ham: fantastic. Braised turbot with crab: running out of superlatives. Lamb breast poached, then breadcrumbed and fried, served with mint sauce: genius idea. The rack and shoulder of the same lamb with cabbage and a fabulously deep, resonant, unsticky meat sauce...The Sportsman is so good that even the Michelin guide has had to bow to reality and award it a star.

No readers reviews yet.
Why not be the first and enter our competition to win a bottle of champagne.
Click here to write your review.

London Eater

London Eater

Monday, October 17, 2011 - I think The Sportsman thoroughly deserves its reputation, this kitchen is a finely tuned instrument, Harris and his team can definitely make sweet music with pots and pans, the sheer clarity in the cooking is rarely experienced, and something that eager gluttons yearn for. But upon reflection on the ride back to London, I don't think this meal was the revelation I'd hope it would be. It came very close to changing my life, but truthfully it didn't. In a way, I don't think it's meant to, this isn't the precise opera of Blumenthal, this is the jazz of Harris in a seriously laid back pub.

A Forkful of Spaghetti

A Forkful of Spaghetti

Friday, August 26, 2011 - Slip sole in seaweed butter. It had both of us licking our plates for every last morsel, every last droplet of molten butter. So simple, but utterly stunning. The Other Diner's crab risotto. Made from the brown meat, with the white meat atop. Pronounced 'gorgeous.'...The overall verdict? Probably the finest meal I've eaten on these shores. I went with unfeasibly high expectations and they were blown out of the water. It was stupendously good, and words can't express just how fantastic all the flavours were - a real all-singing, all-dancing celebration of the ingredients.

Tamarind and Thyme

Tamarind and Thyme

Monday, June 27, 2011 - To start, I had to try their Slip Sole Grilled in Seaweed Butter, a dish I'd heard lots about. It was exactly what it was and its preparation highlighted the freshness of the fish and well, the deliciousness of the butter. So good, so tender, so I want more please...I sought Phil's opinion on what I should have for my main course and he suggested the Roast Belly of Monkshill Farm Pork with Crackling and Apple Sauce. Yes, oh yes, I do like me some pork belly and this was amazing. The top of the tender belly had the finest piece of crackling I'd ever had in a restaurant.

+ Show more bloggers