Vanilla Black

17 -18 Tooks Court, Holborn, London, EC4A 1LB - View on a map

Vanilla Black Restaurant In London

Simon Hattenstone

Saturday, August 07, 2010 - Chef/patron Andrew Dargue really understands ingredients and unlikely combinations. Each flavour works to heighten the other - the creamy potato, the lightly curried dahl and the pungent galangal. Yum. My lady Diane opts for Olive Oil Fried Yukon Gold Potato Cakes that are so light they could float; salty capers provide a counter tang...On the minus side, Vanilla Black is a little too urbane - more reading room than restaurant. And the menu is a little too rigidly set - half a dozen starters, mains and desserts. A few less clever-clogs options would be nice.

Went here last night for my wife's birthday as she is vegetarian, i'm a confirmed carnivore!

I booked 24 hours in advance for an early sitting only to find the trains weren't running so I called to see if there were any later sittings... They were extremely helpful and found me an 8.30 table.. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to our table. The lighting subdued and relaxing and the decor is uncluttered and understated.. Calm and relaxing with a chilled vibe, perfect for a nice intimate evening.

The service was perfect, attentive but not at all overbearing in fact I struggle to remember when I've had better.

Our waitress was very helpful in assisting us navigate the innovative dishes on the menu and was always on hand when we needed her, plates were removed in a timely manner and the space between courses was ideal to settle into a sedate evening without feeling you were waiting too long or feel rushed either.

The food.. Ah yes the food..... Innovative, exciting but delicious.. Come here and your tastebuds are in for add much as a great as your eyes because the flavor combinations adding with the presentation are as good as any I've seen ( and I'm lucky enough to travel and eat in some high end notoriously acclaimed eaterys) and it's as good as any of the M.2 star restaurants I've eaten in.

Yes shock!, the menu is only one page, but if you want to produce the quality and complexity of dishes they do the menu will be compact.. Upon saying that there's half a dozen choices for each course to choose from.. Which is hard enough anyway as it all looks tempting.

Obviously if your idea of a good meal is accompanied by a complimentary all you can eat salad bar it's unlikely you'll appreciate the excellent work and effort displayed here.

Open minded? Then don't hesitate.. You'll be richly rewarded...

I'll become a regular sitting in the corner looking highly contented.

terencepg - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, January 12, 2014

Poor service, felt very unwelcome from the moment we entered the restaurant, the staff seemed generally unhappy, maybe that is the style restaurant is pushing, but I prefer friendly and professional staff. We ordered two bottles of wine, only one arrived and we had to chase for another bottle. We were not allowed to order desserts as they had table booked for second seating. We did arrive late but it could have been dealt differently that is the lesson they need to learn. Appalling customer service, I have been to many fine dining restaurants and this is by far the worst I have ever experienced. I will never want to go back, who wants to look at the grumpy 'I can't be bothered' faces of restaurant staff? Not me!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 2/10

Monday, April 02, 2012 - The reason why our evening was so miserable was not at all because the menu suffered from a lack of protein; it was just because the dishes were hugely ill-judged and incompetently prepared, the prices were sky high, and the service was some of the worst I've encountered in recent years...Nothing about Vanilla Black is worth bothering with; not the elusive, cold service (there was even quite a wait involved in paying up at the end and getting the hell out of there), not the stupidly high prices, and certainly not the random-chucking-together-of-wildly-incompatible-foodstuffs-on-a-plate they called the food.