The Botanist

7 Sloane Square, Chelsea, London, SW1W 8EE - View on a map

The Botanist Restaurant In London

While the food was excellent, the service really lets this place down. Upon sitting down, our coats were not taken, we were not given the pre-theatre menu (this was at 6pm), our plates were not taken away before our main meals arrived and we had to repeatedly ask for tap water.

Although, when we asked for the pre-theatre menu it was brought to us, I found it strange that they didn't give it as an option in the first place - obviously a ploy to get customers to spend more money.

Now onto the food, we had the £21 pre-theatre menu for two courses, which was excellent value for money. I had the smoked salmon, he had the rabbit terrine - both were excellent quality -the horseradish cream with the salmon was particularly good. For mains, I had the tortellini, which really was well-made. He had the veal which was huge - it easily could have fed two people if you bought sides. My greedy husband just had the veal (no sides) and almost managed to eat it all!

The wine was also well-priced - although not excellent value, it didn't have the substantial mark-ups that some restaurants impose.

It's a shame that the service did not match the excellence of the food - if it did, we would certainly return.

D - View all reviews by this user