Kipferl

20 Camden Passage, Angel, London, N1 8ED - View on a map

Kipferl Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Zoe Williams - 3/5

Sunday, January 01, 2012 - My beef goulash with egg noodles (teeny things that looked like tortellini, but were solid noodle) was lovely; exceedingly tender, richly beefy, it melted away as if desperate to be eaten. There was a gherkin, too, which reinforced my view that there's almost no meal that isn't improved by a gherkin...I'm loth to criticise this place, even though bits of it are idiosyncratic. It seems the accent is on authenticity rather than adapting the food for a mainstream British palate, and that's fine. I will probably stick to the sausages in the future. I do not consider this a hardship.

My snitchel - the place's trademark dish and most expensive thing on the menu - was rather soft from the outside. The waitress was patronising beyong belief - the Manager of the place saved the situation with his friendliness and smile once I was about to take off.

Overpriced, canteen looking, and the last thing I needed is to pay money for food and been told off on my Sunday afternoon.

Never returning again and spreading across London the appropriate word of mouth.

ukbliss - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 25, 2011

I was taken to Kipferl for lunch by an Austrian friend who assured it would be the 'Real Deal'. Never having been to Austria before I was in splendid ignorance as to what this could mean so I was delighted to find it meant excellent food, friendly staff, delicious beer & wine (it was a Friday!) all at reasonable prices. My first time but definitely not my last!

JP