500 Restaurant

782 Holloway Road, Archway, London, N19 3JH - View on a map

500 Restaurant Restaurant In London

We went to 500 for lunch last Sunday. There was only one couple there when we arrived at 1pm and, as another reviewer noted, the pop radio was blaring out a bit. It wasn't quite at a level where I'd ask them to turn it down so I left it. But 500 and all restaurants should think about whether customers out for a cosy Sunday lunch really want the music to be that loud. If they turned it down, no one would ask them to turn it up.

Apart from that we thought 500 was great. The service was welcoming and friendly and the food was terrific and good value. We both had a generous borlotti bean soup with a parmesan crust to start and pasta for mains (I had red mullet and clams and my wife had some kind of meat). It was all excellent. The wine list was reasonably priced (starting at about £14 for a house bottle). We both have good appetites but we didn't bother with dessert.

The bill came to £56 before service. For that we got a bread selection, soup x2, pasta mains x2, a large mixed salad, fizzy water x2, a beer, a large glass of wine and a double espresso.

We thought 500 was a great local Italian restaurant and it's a shame we're not in Archway much these days. It seems to be booked up far in advance in the evening but there was no problem getting a table for lunch on Sunday.

(I've given 500 a 6 for ambience because of the music - easily fixed.)

Sean Farrell
Thursday, November 08, 2012

I went there with three friends. It was a busy Thursday night. Food was really good and attentive service. My friends were so happy for that evening. Thank you very much 500.

James M.
Monday, June 25, 2012

arrived to find an empty restaurant (fair enough for sunday at 5.30pm) with radio 1 (or something) blaring out into the restaurant... think it was playing super troopers by abba (perfect ambience for an italian restaurant on a sunday afternoon - NOT). Now I may sound like I'm a moany ol' cow, but really I'm not (I'm 33!, and only sometimes a moany cow). I asked the waiter politely (and slightly embarrassingly) if he'd mind putting on a different soundtrack, to which he responded "why". I didnt' really know how to respond ("because your choice of music/radio station is crap??!"). He told me that I might like the next song. Great start. Now onto the food. Previously I rated this as my favourite, well priced local Italian. This time I found the bread to be stale, the pasta a little sloppy with a strange courgette sauce that didnt' really work. My Husbands food was not so much stewed rabbit, but rather rabbit smothered in some kind of sauce. Again I had previously loved the rustic cooking here and really enjoyed their meat mains, but this time it was not up to par. The wine was ok (nothing special). Two courses plus wine and water came to over £80. I was disappointed and have vowed not to go back. So sad when a previously great local restaurant lets itself down like this... :-(

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - Against expectations by this stage, the mains were pretty good. My £18 plate of buttered tagliatelle came with so much shaved white truffle it is surely one of the great truffle bargain dishes of London - it is barely cheaper than this wholesale...Ravioli came in a generous portion and were at least cooked to the same standard as the tagliatelle, but I'm not entirely convinced the swirls of sweet balsamic improved matters much, or the rather dry pork filling, or the soggy deep-fried sage dumped on top.

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 7/10

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - We started with one of the specials, a board of cured meats and cheeses. The selection was supposed to serve two but was more than enough for four of us with heaped slices of mortadella, pancetta and wedges of cheese. It even came with its own platter of bread, which like the pasta is all made on site by Magli. Slow cooked veal ragu was a text book pasta dish with rich, tender meat and perfect toothsome pasta. It was Italian slow cooking at its best...As a local restaurant 500 Restaurant does a good job of honestly cooked, simple food at ungrasping prices.