500 Restaurant

782 Holloway Road, Archway, London, N19 3JH - View on a map

500 Restaurant Restaurant In London

We went to 500 for lunch last Sunday. There was only one couple there when we arrived at 1pm and, as another reviewer noted, the pop radio was blaring out a bit. It wasn't quite at a level where I'd ask them to turn it down so I left it. But 500 and all restaurants should think about whether customers out for a cosy Sunday lunch really want the music to be that loud. If they turned it down, no one would ask them to turn it up.

Apart from that we thought 500 was great. The service was welcoming and friendly and the food was terrific and good value. We both had a generous borlotti bean soup with a parmesan crust to start and pasta for mains (I had red mullet and clams and my wife had some kind of meat). It was all excellent. The wine list was reasonably priced (starting at about £14 for a house bottle). We both have good appetites but we didn't bother with dessert.

The bill came to £56 before service. For that we got a bread selection, soup x2, pasta mains x2, a large mixed salad, fizzy water x2, a beer, a large glass of wine and a double espresso.

We thought 500 was a great local Italian restaurant and it's a shame we're not in Archway much these days. It seems to be booked up far in advance in the evening but there was no problem getting a table for lunch on Sunday.

(I've given 500 a 6 for ambience because of the music - easily fixed.)

Sean Farrell
Thursday, November 08, 2012

I went there with three friends. It was a busy Thursday night. Food was really good and attentive service. My friends were so happy for that evening. Thank you very much 500.

James M.
Monday, June 25, 2012

arrived to find an empty restaurant (fair enough for sunday at 5.30pm) with radio 1 (or something) blaring out into the restaurant... think it was playing super troopers by abba (perfect ambience for an italian restaurant on a sunday afternoon - NOT). Now I may sound like I'm a moany ol' cow, but really I'm not (I'm 33!, and only sometimes a moany cow). I asked the waiter politely (and slightly embarrassingly) if he'd mind putting on a different soundtrack, to which he responded "why". I didnt' really know how to respond ("because your choice of music/radio station is crap??!"). He told me that I might like the next song. Great start. Now onto the food. Previously I rated this as my favourite, well priced local Italian. This time I found the bread to be stale, the pasta a little sloppy with a strange courgette sauce that didnt' really work. My Husbands food was not so much stewed rabbit, but rather rabbit smothered in some kind of sauce. Again I had previously loved the rustic cooking here and really enjoyed their meat mains, but this time it was not up to par. The wine was ok (nothing special). Two courses plus wine and water came to over £80. I was disappointed and have vowed not to go back. So sad when a previously great local restaurant lets itself down like this... :-(

Thursday, June 14, 2012

We visited on a Tuesday evening with an early table for 7pm. The smell that welcomed us was a little offputting - fish and bleach! The staff were welcoming however although the surroundings were a bit canteen-like and clinical, we felt it would be better for lunch than dinner.

We were shown the menu and the specials and chose to share the 500 starter of mixed bruschetta and cold meats. It was large and the meats were good quality, the tuna carpaccio was disappointing [as was the crab - which had shell in] but the others were fresh and tasty.

Our mains of roasted rabbit and monkfish tagliatelle were classic rustic Italian, with clean and simple flavours. Dessert of lemon sorbet and apple sorbet with rhubarb were very good too.

In all, we liked the restaurant and thought the food was competent and tasty but we weren't blown away by the overall experience.

cut2qwik - View all reviews by this user
Friday, July 01, 2011

I went to 500 with four other friends on a Wednesday. Its conveniently situated close to Archway tube on the main road.

Its a small restaurant seating perhaps about 26 people and at 8 pm was virtually full with prebookings. Its mostly 30s to 60s with several parent and grown up children and their partners and mostly smart and rather up market couples. The prices are rather above average too hence the clientelle are rather older than in many restaurants.

Whilst its described as Italian, most of the dishes are more French/European, no pizzas here! The dishes are very cleverly selected and put together and look attractive when served. I had swordfish starter, fillet of sea bream main followed by "caramelised rhubarb" with sorbet!

The house wine is about £14 a bottle and a 175cc glass £5.55. It was a nice house wine.

The service is by two waiters dressed in jeans and black shirts. I ordered my starter, main and a glass of wine. The starter came quickly but no wine. I finished the starter and when the plate was collected I asked for some wine and had to explain that I had already ordered some which had not arrived.

As I had been served my starter and indeed ate it with four empty glasses in front of me I was rather surprised that it was not noticed that I was not drinking anything. We were not asked if we were enjoying our meal or if everything was alright. I would therefore rate the service as adequate but not attentive.

The food is obviously very good, very well chosen and the restaurant virtually full with pre booked diners. So I suppose they dont need to be so good with the service but had it been half empty every night I think they would have been trying harder.

The bill for the three of us who were eating and drinking was £33-£36 each but the two ladies on a budget were about £20 each.
View/Add comments (1)

Tony Glazier
Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - Against expectations by this stage, the mains were pretty good. My £18 plate of buttered tagliatelle came with so much shaved white truffle it is surely one of the great truffle bargain dishes of London - it is barely cheaper than this wholesale...Ravioli came in a generous portion and were at least cooked to the same standard as the tagliatelle, but I'm not entirely convinced the swirls of sweet balsamic improved matters much, or the rather dry pork filling, or the soggy deep-fried sage dumped on top.

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 7/10

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - We started with one of the specials, a board of cured meats and cheeses. The selection was supposed to serve two but was more than enough for four of us with heaped slices of mortadella, pancetta and wedges of cheese. It even came with its own platter of bread, which like the pasta is all made on site by Magli. Slow cooked veal ragu was a text book pasta dish with rich, tender meat and perfect toothsome pasta. It was Italian slow cooking at its best...As a local restaurant 500 Restaurant does a good job of honestly cooked, simple food at ungrasping prices.