500 Restaurant

782 Holloway Road, Archway, London, N19 3JH - View on a map

500 Restaurant Restaurant In London

We went to 500 for lunch last Sunday. There was only one couple there when we arrived at 1pm and, as another reviewer noted, the pop radio was blaring out a bit. It wasn't quite at a level where I'd ask them to turn it down so I left it. But 500 and all restaurants should think about whether customers out for a cosy Sunday lunch really want the music to be that loud. If they turned it down, no one would ask them to turn it up.

Apart from that we thought 500 was great. The service was welcoming and friendly and the food was terrific and good value. We both had a generous borlotti bean soup with a parmesan crust to start and pasta for mains (I had red mullet and clams and my wife had some kind of meat). It was all excellent. The wine list was reasonably priced (starting at about £14 for a house bottle). We both have good appetites but we didn't bother with dessert.

The bill came to £56 before service. For that we got a bread selection, soup x2, pasta mains x2, a large mixed salad, fizzy water x2, a beer, a large glass of wine and a double espresso.

We thought 500 was a great local Italian restaurant and it's a shame we're not in Archway much these days. It seems to be booked up far in advance in the evening but there was no problem getting a table for lunch on Sunday.

(I've given 500 a 6 for ambience because of the music - easily fixed.)

Sean Farrell
Thursday, November 08, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 5/10

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - Against expectations by this stage, the mains were pretty good. My £18 plate of buttered tagliatelle came with so much shaved white truffle it is surely one of the great truffle bargain dishes of London - it is barely cheaper than this wholesale...Ravioli came in a generous portion and were at least cooked to the same standard as the tagliatelle, but I'm not entirely convinced the swirls of sweet balsamic improved matters much, or the rather dry pork filling, or the soggy deep-fried sage dumped on top.