The Drunken Monkey

222 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1 6PJ - View on a map

The Drunken Monkey Restaurant In London

We'd booked a table for 15, but when we got there, some other crowd was sitting at it, and management wouldn't ask them to move till they'd finished their drinks. So 15 of us ended up standing like lemons by the bar, constantly being bumped into by people trying to get past until, about 20 minutes after we'd arrived, we got our table. Meantime, we'd discovered that the mojitos were like slightly minted iced water, and the only beers on tap were Stella, Becks and Budweiser, all of which are, of course, awful, and when I asked if they had any bottles of anything more interesting, I was answered with a disinterested 'not really'. When we finally got our table, we were told that ordering a la carte wasn't available, so we had to have some sort of 'tasting menu' option, which turned out to be buckets of fried proteins, served with a series of horrible gunky dressings, nasty tasting wraps, and manky, claggy, overcooked noodles. Seriously, one plate of fried stuff, we had serious difficult figuring out whether it was chicken, pork or fish. The waitress told us it was fish, but even then we weren't convinced (oh, and, I lived in China for two years, so I know my oriental food; I shudder to think what my colleagues in Beijing would have made of this travesty of an eatery!). It was uniformly awful throughout, and the fact that the music was nuclear loud, to the point that having a conversation with someone right next to you was nearly impossible all meant that it was a nasty, unpleasant couple of hours that none of us will ever be repeating. Seriously, this is one place to massively avoid!

Lee Chan