Marcus

The Berkeley, Wilton Place, Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7RL - View on a map

Marcus Restaurant In London

I went to Marcus last night with four friends, and the whole experience was very disappointing. I don't mind paying high prices if the standard of the food is correspondingly high, but at Marcus, you pay a lot for very little. I had three courses - three undercooked, sad looking scallops, veal which was cold and chewey and a white chocolate dessert which was no bigger than my little finger. If it wasn't for the lovely bread and the chocolatey nibbles that they gave us at the end of the meal, I would've had to make myself a meal when I got home. Tiny portions of average food, sold at exorbitant prices really doesn't cut it, and there is no way that this restaurant would survive if it didn't have a 'captive' hotel clientele.

Also, the atmosphere in the place is very flat, and there was none of the buzz that you experience in a restaurant that's really on top of its game.

I don't believe that Marcus Wareing actually cooks at this restaurant, I think it's more a case of him franchising out his name and reputation. On the plus side, the staff are very nice (I had a sense that they knew that they're serving food which is over-priced and distinctly average) and the service is good.

Friday, January 30, 2015