Gran Paradiso

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Each time we come to London we always try to have supper here and have always enjoyed it. The food and service are to be commended.

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Service was the best i have experienced in a london restaurant ever, waiters were polite, attentive and friendly. I like the oldy italian decor of the restaurant and the whole place had an edge of poshness about it. So refreshing to be made to feel like a patron rather than just walking a wallet - something unfortunately I have gotten so used to in the big chain restaurants. The tables aren't too close together and I like the choices on the menu although note the lack of a comprehensive drinks list.

The food at Gran Paradiso was lovely - my chicken in herbs and mushroom sauce was tender and tasty although as others have mentioned it seems a bit steep to charge £4 for the vegetables to accompany it (although they were cooked to perfection and delicious).

I will most definitely be coming back here again, it's a little more expensive than other places (the chains) but it's worth it for the quality of food and excellent service.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Understandably after reading through the negative reviews on here I attended a business dinner at this restaurant tonight, a large group of 15 people booked for 6pm but arrived late at 6.20pm. No problem from the manager and his wife.

Comments on here state the waiters were not chatty, but our experience was that they were attentive and efficient, if you want entertaining from the waiters pay for a stage show. I much prefer getting professional service!

The food could not be faulted, cooked to perfection, portion sizes just right, have eaten at many 4 and 5 star hotels who give you half the size of portions, and not necessarily as good quality as the Gran Paradiso.

Some people have said dated decor etc, but I couldn't fault the upstairs conservatory room our group had our meal in.

In summary a wonderful meal with attentive service at a reasonable price.

Andrew Bird
Thursday, January 17, 2013

I used to visit this restaurant from when it opened in 1973 for about ten years, and I am old enough to have gone to its predecessor in the King's Road under the old cinema.

So, for old times' sake, I chose it recently for dinner with friends.

It was undoubtedly old fashioned and the staff were a little shambolic, but I really enjoyed going back there. The same owner is still there after all these years, and the food was very tasty. The restaurant had a good atmosphere, with quite a few tables clearly enjoying themselves.

My wife didn't enjoy it so much, so maybe nostalgia is ruling my head. However, if you are in the area, Gran Paradiso is civilized, near to the station, with pretty good food, sufficiently out of the way to be on the quiet side and worth a visit, if not a special trip.

Long may Sandro continue!

James - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, October 11, 2012

I went to the Gran Paradiso and found the food I had was very poor considering the prices. The prawn starter lacked flavour and the pasta dish prawns and clams linguine, there was no clams in there but even worse the pasta was over cooked.

I found the service good, but the food is what I go out for.

Will F