Terroirs

5 William IV Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4DW - View on a map

Terroirs Restaurant In London

Great, buzzy place with a very warm yet vibrant atmosphere and fantastically tasty nibbles. Steak tartare was the best I've had outside of France, maybe the best ever. I have given this place 9s across the board, but that's only because it was a quick bite before going on to a concert later. If they can keep this standard going across three courses it could well achieve perfect 10s. Wine list was exciting and extensive but not terrifying (price wise). I ordered an Arbouriou from Marmandais region, something I've never had before, and it was a revelation. Fantastic start to an evening, I heartily recommend.

Richard
Saturday, July 14, 2012

If you like good unusual wines with plates of cold meats and cheeses, this is the place to go to. Even dessert was of very good quality. The tables are a bit cramped and if you don't like meats the menu can be limited.

The service was friendly and the meals are well presented but the main deal is the very large choice of wines - no Hardys or Mondavi wines here but from small vineyards from mainly France and Italy.

One word of warning the bill climbs very quickly with the wines and various plates of ham.

Dutch_Food - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fantastic.

This place never disappoints. Dinner for 6 in the restaurant downstairs last Saturday evening. Service was first-rate: attentive, efficient, knowledgeable. Food was very good indeed. A few small plates to share for starters - the pick of which was the duck rillettes. Main courses were all exceptional - the pork belly was the best I've had, and the rabbit with polenta was to die for.

Wine was inevitably good, and very reasonably priced for the quality.

With 3 bottles of wine (all in the £30+ bracket) and one of champagne (the Philipponnat is excellent and served in very concentrating glasses) the whole shooting match cost just over £260, which I consider excellent value for money.

We savoured our dinner all the more as we were very nearly done out of it: a police cordon briefly closed the whole road. Five minutes later it came down, thank goodness.

Kwev
Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I love this place although unfortunnately it has become so busy that its hard to get a table last minute now. Seats at the bar are available if you can get there early enough though.

Staff are very knowledgable about the wines and can really find you exactly what you want, food is hearty and flavoursome. Best part is the atmosphere, you can end up staying wayy into the night here and not realising at all.

Its fairly expensive but you get your money's worth!

Gospodja
Monday, May 23, 2011

Last night was my second visit to Terroirs - had a fantastic time the first time round and was sat downstairs.

This time we were upstairs and it was a beautiful sunny evening with all the windows open.

I cannot fault Terroirs - the staff are knowledgeable, helpful and are great at recommending how much to order and what goes well together. As always the selection of charcuterie (rillettes, terrine and some saucisson) was delicious, and we combined that with a steak tartare, potted shrimps and an eel/bacon dish with horseradish.

Combined with a few carafes of excellent wine at reasonable prices - this place really hits the spot. Such a great atmosphere, delicious food and a great wine list and you end up getting a wonderful experience for the same price as many mediocre restaurants.

Amazing place to go - and always makes me feel like I'm on holiday. Highly recommend!!!

Leah - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 6/10

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - The whole experience had left me extremely uncomfortable, and I'm not just talking about that table. The dishes, though well-cooked and using good ingredients, were clumsily constructed and often unforgivably imbalanced, making the eating of them more of a challenge than a pleasure. I really wanted to like Terroirs, and clearly plenty of people do, but perhaps in the future I'll pay more attention to their excellent wine list. fact, if you approach Terroirs as a wine bar that can serve you the odd bit of food to stop you falling asleep on the train home, then perhaps you'll enjoy it more than I did.

Dos Hermanos

Dos Hermanos

Friday, February 12, 2010 - The new (ish) space is lovely, lively and buzzing and our table, over looking the bar gave us the perfect chance to watch the comings and goings of the staff...The place may be jumping and the menu may read well, but the execution is sloppy and the final results depressing. A dish of clams with ham and chilli came with enough added salt to make my blood pressure medication worthless. A salad of smoked duck breast with beetroot and hazelnuts should have made the most of terrific ingredients but swamped them with so much dressing as to make any flavours impossible to detect.