Gem Restaurant

265 Upper Street, Islington, London, N1 2UQ - View on a map

Gem Restaurant Restaurant In London

Went to Gem on Friday night and the decor and atmosphere were lovely, with some beautiful lights covered in jewel like stones. There was also a rather bizarre wooden contraption attached to the ceiling.

It was airy and the comped spinach bread is really tasty. Food pretty good but nothing too fancy. Generous portions of grilled stuff. Kofte, chicken and lamb shish, lamb shank and the single chop in the mixed grill were all popular being tasty and tender. Falafel looked a bit dry and am not keen on bulgar wheat tomato starter, though the taboleh was rightly heavy on herbs with just a smattering of bulgar. Service is efficient but one waitress huffs, rolls her eyes, sticks her lip out and frowns, before turning on her heels every time I asked for anything. I wanted small plates to share, she bought them over and said we don't need them. I just said 'can we just have them please?' and she plonked them down without a smile. Useless! Rest of staff were fine. Pudding in set meal totally meh but by that time we were stuffed.

Kedi - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, July 01, 2012

Haven't been to Gem since they gave the inside a makeover - so I guess that's over a year. Went last night with a group of 6 of us including 2 kids. The fact that it's full on a Tuesday night is always a good indication and glad to say it's still excellent food & still excellent value.

Stuffed ourselves with excellent Meze and kebabs. The quality of the lamb dishes is particularly good - the lamb chops that come with the mixed Izgara & the mixed grill are gorgeous and my wife had an excellent Kelftico style lamb shank as well. Plenty of veggie options in there as well.

Dinner for 6 with drinks came to £135 with tip. Not going to leave it so long before going back next time.

Gethin - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An American In London

An American In London

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - First, the breads. They're hot and delicious. I love the puffed up bread, which reminds me of poori, except not fried, so I felt virtuous and healthy tearing off pieces for all the various yogurt-based dips. Fried goodies were standouts...After all that delicious and filling meze, the main courses were superfluous. That said, my main course of beyti (which I couldn't really distinguish from the kofte I've had at other Turkish grills) was moist and meaty, and I was glad to take the leftovers home with me