Chuen Cheng Ku

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

I went to have a buffet and was utterly dissapointed.

The atmosphere was dead and depressing (actually got a headache) And felt like I was in a bingo hall.

Choice of food was poor and not properly cooked, pasta was hard, Rice was hard, I mean how can you not cook such simple food properly.

The staff were ok but a bit stingy with the tissues as they gave me exactly one squre sheet ha what a joke.

Definitely not coming here again. And who ever is reading this shouldn't as well!!

Table hench
Monday, December 10, 2012

This is the real macoy, anyone who is Cantonese or who has lived in Hong Kong and ubderstands the process of having Dimsum will appreciate the way this restaurant operates. Trolleys steaming and keeping warm all the Dimsum parcels, ala carte on the side, is how it should be. Take a basket of Dimsum steaming and hot when needed rather than wait 20 minutes for the kitchen to bring some more as you didn't order enough initially. Of course if you did order adequately then half of it wil be cold. I do despair at the lack of understanding of Dimsum etiquette, this restaurant is how it should be.

Andre
Monday, April 30, 2012

Living in London, CCK's is one of my favourite Chinese restaurants for lunch; dim-sum. We find it not so super in the evening, but one must be fair, we only tried it once in the evening as we have another evening favourite.

I used to live in Hong Kong, so the style of service traditional for dim-sum, with ladies pushing carts - either with heated cupboards aboard, or possibly a heated cooker to bring something up to serving temperature - calling their wares "sui mai....har gow..." is the right way to enjoy lunchtime.

I have noticed some people who are not familiar with this style of service, who ask for the menu and order from it, but they are the exception, not the rule. I note also some pretty negative reviews. It may be those who decline to use the dim-sum service, or then agan, it can be just an off day. This is an always very busy restaurant.

The true test of a Chinese restaurant (same for any exotic type of resto) is what proportion of the customers are Chinese. CCK's customer base at lunchtime is at least 75:25 Chinese:Europeans.

SeptimusFry - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, March 11, 2012

We went to the buffet & were very disapointed. On arrival a member of staff was asleep at one of the tables, head on the table cloth, which was not changed before the next customers sat at this table (sleeping member of staff now moved!!).

Choice of buffet food very poor & not overly warm. Fried plain toast, not prawn toast. Old, hard rice mixed in with fresh.

Fried fish was good.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Amazing place for Chinese dim sum - fast and efficient went there before ghost the musical after reading how good dim sum is does not disappoint. we have both spent time in china and new York this London dim sum restaurant was as good as any other we tried in the world.

John aitken
Sunday, September 11, 2011

For many years, Chuen Cheng Ku has been my first place of call in London. It is one of the few GENUINE Dim Sum places serving from the Trolley. The staff is neither over-friendly nor rude but who cares, the Dim Sum is good, genuine and instantly available.

Having read previous reviews, I can only pity the people who went there after 6 pm for anything other than Dim Sum. You completely wasted your time and money not eating the Dim Sum, good people, what a waste!

Andre Wyss - View all reviews by this user