Donna Margherita

Donna Margherita Restaurant In London

very good Italian food

susy
Saturday, March 29, 2014

the best pizza and fresh king prawn pasta l ever had in my life. l'm from Sicily and l know about good food!! If you live or visit London you can't miss this place! Very friendly and professional stuff as well!!

peppe
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This is a must if you like genuine Italian cuisine. Family run by 3/4 brothers I believe they have many fresh ingredients delivered twice a week from Italy. The result is one of the best pizza's I've ever had, considering another place in Ostia near Rome run by another napolitan family. Ideal for couples or small groups it is cosy and very authentic.

Try some unique entries. Pizza's and pasta dishes are excellent. Once had also an outstanding filet (I believe they get scottish meat). My favorite meal is napolitan frittos as entry, the friarelli and salsiccia pizza and any of the desserts... Sometimes I stop by late at night just to say hi and get an expresso... It feels like home to me...

Recently refurbished... nice job.

Francesco DANISI
Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Last year my partner and I visited Donna Margherita on a whim. We were both delighted with the food - I ordered a cabbage and mushroom risotto which turned out to be far more than the sum of it's parts. Consequently, we were looking forward to our return visit last week.

Having booked several days in advance we were less than impressed to shown to a table that was barely bigger than a beer mat and which hadn't had a lick of varnish this side of the millennium. The manager had to disrupt a group of diners to scavenge a chair so that we could both sit down. My partner was stuffed in the corner and, I sitting with my back to the restaurant, had the choice of staring at the wall that was two feet from my nose or watching a takeaway delivery man rummaging for something in his ear in the neon-lit kitchen.

The manager then moved us to a table by the restaurant entrance on condition that we vacated it in just over an hour (we suspect that our first placement was a ruse to make a really bad table seem attractive). It puzzled us why two far better tables stood empty for an hour and a quarter while we sat in a draught every time the creaking door opened (and slammed shut again).

The food was some consolation although my starter had evidently spent insufficient time in a microwave to be properly and evenly warmed and my partner's risotto, while tasty, was altogether too dry. We decided not to stay for desserts or coffee and left £73 poorer.

We won't be returning.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

I've been at Donna Margherita with my family and few friends several times. The service is always friendly and reasonably fast as you would expect in an Italian restaurant. Food is authentically Italian, starting from most of the ingredients. Pizza is Naples style and so far the best I have ever had in London. There is a good selection of main courses and so far all the ones I have tried were well above the average among the Italian restaurants in London.

By the way, today I went for linguine with Sicilian prawns: delicious!!

TheMixedFamily - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, October 06, 2012

I was at Donna Margherita a couple of weeks ago and I was utterly impressed with the quality of food and the professional service I received. The atmosphere was very buzzy and although it was very busy the staff seemed confident and in control. I am a true fan of Italian food and I am also very demanding. Believe me guys this is the best Italian restaurant in London. We had seafood pasta, grilled fish and grilled meat. Smashing!!! Ill definitely go back for more.

Agatha Lahm
Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Without fail, Donna Margherita is my go-to Italian restaurant in London. A friendly and welcoming place, I return to regularly to be reminded of what real and authentic Italian should be. High quality food, attentive service and incredibly good vibes keeps be coming back. Best in class, for sure.

Leila Fataar
Saturday, August 18, 2012

I disagree with some of the reviews below regarding service. I thought the service was very friendly, if a tad pushy.

We had bread, olive oil/vinegar and one grilled meat plate and one grilled fish plate. It was very well-cooked, in particular the squid and octopus lovely - the tuna was over-cooked for my liking as I like it quite rare. My boyfriend also said the meat was well cooked. I would return!

D
Friday, June 15, 2012

Very poor experience, pizza capricciosa had no more then 2 black olives straight from a tin as the artichocke & 3 tiny strips of ham and it arrived cold after having being left at the bar for 10 minutes. Waitress was very nice, manager was hardly looking at any tables and service was chaotic. That presepe made of pasta & pizza dough at the entrance looks awful and disgusting, not something I would put on display on a restaurant.

Marina
Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A look at Donna Margherita's website tells you that around 90% of their ingredients are imported from Southern Italy, and that they were nominated for Time Out Foods' Best London Pizza restaurant' of 2010. And so I went armed with high expectations and my own acid test (the wife is from Naples).

First thing is that it looks like a Neapolitan restaurant should. Walls are adorned with pictures of the usual suspects, Toto', Sophia Loren, Massimo Troisi, Eduardo De Filippo. Noteably absent is Maradona (management prudently opting to keep the salt in the pasta and out of the National wound).

Above the fireplace, real and roaring, is a home made attempt at 'presepe'. Presepe is the traditional neapolitan art of creating nativity scenes. This version being largely constructed of pizza bases frankly looks a mess, but somehow forgiveable given the cozy interior and typically friendly South Italian atmosphere.

Now to the food. I was particularly keen to sample the friarielli, a green vegetable native to Naples. Unfortunately they forgot to deliver it as a starter, meaning I had to beg tidbits from the wife's frittura mista, consisting of fried aubergines and corgettes, and parcels of rice and cheese and potato, which was excellent.

When prompted they did apologetically bring the friarielli with my main course, which was the classic margherita, washed down with a bottle of the delectable birra Moretti. The wife had pasta with aubergines and tomato sauce, vouching for Donna Margheritas claims about the quality and freshness of their ingredients.

For desserts Donna Margherita are offering the small standard fare Italian selection which, apart from the ice cream are home made.

We selected the panna cotta with strawberry sauce and 'vesuvius', which is a dark chocolate ice cream core covered by vanilla ice cream, housed in a white chocolate exterior and topped with dark caramel sauce. As the name might suggest, it certainly goes off in the mouth.

All told, believe the hype, this restaurant offers excellent Neapolitan cuisine at reasonable prices.

Located on Lavender Hill,a walkable distance from Clapham Junction mainline, Donna Margherita passed the acid test and is highly recommendable.

Robert