Dean Street Townhouse

69-71 Dean Street, Soho, London, W1D 4QJ - View on a map

Dean Street Townhouse Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Jasper Gerard - 5/10

Friday, April 23, 2010 - The Dean Street Dining Room is dangerously fun: flickering lamps illuminate dark green wallpaper and works by a new generation of hard-living artists. And, alas, the food. What's this? Mince and boiled rice. Fish and chips with marrowfat peas. Even Brussels sprouts, which are virtually illegal. Simplicity is fine, but will folk come 'oop West' for this?...Rarely have I found such a dashing place serving such crashing food. It's smoothly done but tradition without a twist can be deadly.

Guardian

Matthew Norman

Saturday, February 27, 2010 - It mingles the bustle and slickness of the grand, all-day Parisian brasserie with a determinedly anti-Michelin English menu and a room cunningly designed for that ultra-voguish, modern media Soho clubland feel. The lighting and acoustics are flawless, the service lavishly attentive without being oppressive, and the food, with a couple of minor quibbles, was exceedingly good...Many joints have tried to create the perfect French brasserie serving delectably simple English food, one of us sagely observed, and this is the first to crack the combination.

+ Show more critic reviews

Stayed the night at the DSTH last Saturday night - excellent little hotel. The bar was a great place to start and finish our evening (we ate elsewhere), with a very lively, grown up but fun atmosphere. Unfortunately the cocktails were not well made - stick to simple.

Full English breakfasts in the morning were really excellent. Each constituent part was first class. And what a marvellous room for breakfast (try and get one of the tables in the front by the windows). Great Bloody Mary too.

I look forward to returning for dinner soon - menu looked good, and all the punters looked happy and seemed to be very well looked after.

Kwev
Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I came to the Dean Street Townhouse two weeks ago for brunch and it was superb.

I ordered the Bakerís Basket, a Full English Breakfast and a carrot, apple and ginger smoothie. The food portions were really large and everything tasted deliciously well-sourced. For the first time in a long time, I was unable to finish my food since I was so full!

I also really liked the setting; the townhouse has a lot of character, which significantly enhanced the overall experience.

Iím looking forward to going back!

Sarah Highfield - View all reviews by this user
Monday, September 19, 2011

Had a very nice lunch here recently - haddock souffle starter with hollandaise was gorgeous. Fish and chips were (no exaggeration) the best I have ever had. The batter was crisp yet incredibly thin - have never had anything like it. It seemed even lighter than Japanese tempura. The homemade tartare sauce didn't work though - it only tasted of mayonnaise.

Summer pudding for 2 was very nice (and huge)

Pleasant atmosphere, but the seats in the booths are surprisingly hard and uncomfortable. The only thing that could spoil a long lunch.

stevelondon - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 01, 2011

Went here last Wednesday evening at around 5.30 as we had our 9 year old

grandaughter with us in our party after seeing wizard of oz (good).

I had booked for dinner but the receptionist asked if we wanted tea -no-then proceeded to show us to a low slung table where people were taking tea-no thank you the prospect of having dinner at a tea table did not appeal. Not a good start.

Bu then it all perked up lovely , friendly waitress and waiters excellent bisque, monkfish in bacon (a bit fatty the bacon) roast chicken with stuffing and for our youngest a dover sole grilled - which was very good and enjoyed.

Room is inviting and relaxing - chips good as was the eton mess.

All in all a place to return to , my wife thought not as good as sheekeys or possibly the wolseley -but then is that a surprise- but it has a sexy ambience and lively staff so will return-even the receptionist wished us a cheery good night so all is forgiven.

alan fowle
Thursday, June 09, 2011

Tamarind and Thyme

Tamarind and Thyme

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - For my main course, I went with the Smoked haddock fish cake with spinach (14.00). It was a generously portioned delicious fish cake (which I'd hope for for the price!) and it came on top of a bed of spinach and swimming in a sea of beurre blanc. Blai had the Fish and chips with mushy peas (16.00) - he loves fish and chips and found no fault with this. I thought the tartar sauce was the real star; it was excellent...Our dinner was certainly fine but there comes the issue of value for money. The prices for this kind of British comfort food were a little on the steep side.

A Girl Has To Eat

A Girl Has To Eat - 7/10

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - The Soho House Group is a well-oiled hospitality machine, and as expected, the service was timely, if occasionally a bit perfunctory. Nevertheless the food was very enjoyable, and combined with the gorgeous decor and seductive, buzzy atmosphere, Dean Street Townhouse is really hard to pass up as the kind of place you want to show off to your friends.

An American In London

An American In London

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - Starters were good, but not great. Two friends were winners of the evening's prize for best starter by sticking with oysters on the half shell. Fresh briney treats beautifully presented. A generous portion of prawn-and-avocado included prawns that tasted a tad mushy, but the light dressing and lovely, creamy-ripe avocados saved the dish...Mains, generally, seemed better priced than starters, mostly because there was such a wide range of prices to choose from...Mains, generally, seemed better priced than starters, mostly because there was such a wide range of prices to choose from.

+ Show more bloggers