Iskele

179-181 Whitecross Street, London, EC1Y 8QP - View on a map

Iskele Restaurant In London

TimeOut

Guy Dimond - 3/5

Thursday, January 07, 2010 - Highlights of the procession of small dishes included creamy houmous topped with broad beans and sprinkled with sumac; a warm salad of grilled aubergine, smoky from the char-grill; kisir, the salad of fresh parsley chopped with tomatoes, crushed wheat, onion, olive oil and lemon juice; and boreks, deep-fried pastries filled with cheese. Zingy, fresh flavours typified the dishes, and a light hand was used on the deep-fat fryer. The Turkish grill is much in use in the evenings, with a varied assortment of lamb and chicken kebabs being ferried to the tables by the sweet Turkish staff.

I went there last month and the management was terrible, food was dry and cold so we asked when it had been cooked and they took it away and re heated it in the oven! The service was terrible and they look at you as you need to get up and leave so they can clean up after you! There are plenty of places you could eat in the Barbican neighborhood for cheaper and better quality.

Tina Richards - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Very good food and service, Friendly staff. Okay atmosphere, good value. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or return.

Yossi
Sunday, April 14, 2013

Despicable customer service. I called to ask how long it would take to order some take away. I could not tell if the man on the other line said 15 minutes or 50 minutes and asked if he could please repeat what he said. The man answered rudely "the animals are not alive you know they are already dead" while a fellow employee laughed in the background. You have lost my business and those of all of my friends and colleagues who live and work in the Barbican neighborhood.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

I have eaten here on two occasions and found it to be delightful, with friendly staff, on both occasions we were not in a hurry, just enjoying a leisurely lunch.

The food was freshly prepared and tasty, the staff knowledgable and helpful, Cost was very reasonable going again this weekend.

Stephen Moore
Friday, August 03, 2012

I was surprised to read the bad reviews. I have eaten here a few times and enjoyed the experience. The service was friendly and the food good.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Looks great from the outside, but the food is really bland (the hummus was like acidic wallpaper paste) and quite expensive for what you get, the service is terrible or certainly was the saturday night we went, the waiters (all of them) were so miserable and clearly doing us a favour!!!

The wine was also expensive for the quality

Oh and the toilets are freezing cold

Would I return....NO

Still the lamps look nice...

mcdon - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just went to this restaurant for lunch and I have to say I was suprised at how awful it was!! The food was some of the most bland I have tasted in a long time.

I ordered a lamb tagine and it has to be the worst I have ever eaten in my life!! It came with a bland gravy and no cous cous???!!? The plus side was that the lamb was cooked nicely but I can't forgive them for how bland and unenjoyable the meal ultimately was.

The service was nice and the interior quite pleasant so it was so suprising that the food so dreadful.

Would I go there again - not even if hell froze over!

Aaron