The Anthologist

58 Gresham Street, Bank, London, EC2V 7BB - View on a map

The Anthologist Restaurant In London

TimeOut

TimeOut - 3/5

Thursday, June 17, 2010 - Starting at 8am serving big breakfasts and brunch, the open-plan kitchen offers burgers, fish pies, flatbread boards and sharing platters including a seafood option of oysters, lobster and clams served in a bank deposit box. It doffs its bowler hat in the direction of traditional British dishes including fish finger sandwiches, knickerbocker glory and ham and pea pie with piccalilli...As you'd expect, the crowd consists mainly of the buy-sell-buy-sell, braced-up, umbrella-carrying, pink newspaper-reading, bonus-winning, private jet-hiring, hedge-fund-managing brigade.

We were on our way to Byron but I convinced my friends to try The Anthologist instead, for a change. What a mistake. We had to wait 15 minutes to give our order; we each went for a burger. The food itself came reasonably quickly, but my "blue cheese burger" was literally that - in the bun was a burger with a lump of cold blue cheese on top (weird, right?). The meat tasted awful and disintegrated in an overcooked way, the bun was stale and inedible and the "plate" was in fact a bizarre tin with a handle (yes, we had to eat out of a tin). The chips were raw and undercooked.

Dreadful service, dreadful food. The price is in line with Byron, but the quality doesn't come close.

James
Thursday, February 27, 2014

Great room, with a nice vibe, only spoilt by the poor value food offering. Beware all the extras, and the waiting staff who seem hell bent on extracting as much money out of you as possible. The sharing plate of antipasti meat would barely feed one person, and when we asked for a bit more bread they brought us the foccacia plate (£6 for 4 pieces!) without explanation. The salad boxes are better at the sandwich shop next door and half the price. It was a shame that our first impressions were so wrong. It is typical of city eateries that it values style over substance catering for the minority who do the same.

Friday, August 10, 2012

This bar restaurant looks beautiful, they have obviously spent a lot of money on the design and interior. The cocktails are decent with some apparent 'skinny' options for those watching calories. The food however is very poor and lets it down. All show, served on wooden platters etc but poor quality. Fish portions meagre and not tasting fresh. Burgers dry and not cooked as requested. Puddings are uninspiring. Its lively after work for drinks but i wont be back for the food.

Alexsb - View all reviews by this user
Monday, March 05, 2012

Just terrible. Truly. Stop serving all the food on stupid, pretentious plates. Stop making poor food. Stop bringing the bill in a ridiculous book. Focus on service and food. Until I visited this place, I did not think that it was possible to get toast wrong, but what I was given was stale bread which had been warmed up (and the waitress did not seem to understand what I meant when I asked for the bread to be toasted; a clue - toast has brown on it from the "toasting" process. If you can't afford a toaster let me know and I will buy you one for Christmas.) My colleague ordered bubble and squeak; 15 minutes later the waitress said there was none, and would he perhaps settle for scrambled eggs. He agreed, and the eggs turned up in about 30 seconds flat. Er, was there really no bubble and squeak or were we being lied to? Just an awful place, which is nevertheless successful because city workers are fairly dim and settle for poor standards in their pursuit of pretence and ostentation.

Graham
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Working on the same street I have walked passed this place several times and from the outside it looks very attractive and lively so was looking forward to going for lunch. What a disappointment! The food was average - I had Thai Green curry which contained two fillets of fish with the flaccid skin left on and half a piece of hard Pak Choi in a very thin tasteless sauce. A bad choice although my friends all agreed that their mains were average and none of us finished them. We then opted to have a pudding which on the whole were better although somewhat uninspiring and why anyone would consider serving Sticky Toffee Pudding with a separate jug of toffee sauce on a flat wooden board beats me! As for the service it was slow, unfriendly and the staff were disinterested and loudly shouting to each other. Not somewhere I will be returning in a hurry....

Susie Lunn
Tuesday, October 04, 2011

two weeks ago we had a corporate night out and we had a lot of fun, service was good as we booked an area and we have someone looking after us. Also it was a very good idea to pre-order food and drinks as it was so busy, didnt really fancy going to the bar.

Will go back there again for dinner and probably lunch!!

Lebi - View all reviews by this user