Jamie's Italian (Covent Garden)

St. Martin's Courtyard, Upper St. Martin's Lane, London, WC2H 9DL - View on a map

Jamie's Italian (Covent Garden) Restaurant In London

This Is London

Fay Maschler - 3/5

Thursday, July 29, 2010 - Crispy squid 'with really garlicky mayo' and courgette fritti 'with the creamiest whipped chickpea, anchovy, caper and parsley dressing' were both meticulously fried in clean oil without a whisper of greasiness. A bit more salt would have galvanised the dressing. 'Beautiful' bucatini carbonara with the addition of courgette ribbons to the egg, cheese and pancetta sauce fulfilled its description except that spaghetti would have been nicer than wormy bucatini. Immaculately trimmed lamb-chop lollipops were a marvel...Jamie has demonstrated that a mid-price chain can be lovable and gratifying.

My first visit here as a guest of my friend, who lives locally, was an embarrassment for her, me and I hope the restaurant staff.

The service was amateurish, young people who didn't listen to the order, got so close to you it was embarrassing, and didn't seem to be working to the same system as their colleagues. One actually said they didn't all use the same numbers for the tables!

My friend had been before and had problems with orders, but it was resolved, our incident was not so well handled- the kitchen had run out of ingredients for my carpaccio salad but sent the dish out anyway, without telling the waiters. The young man serving us was at a loss how to deal with it, and no-one else seemed interested. I was allowed to order another dish which was calamari, very average, some of it very tough. I was then offered a sweet on the house, but not my friend!

We waited an age for the bill and ended up standing near the counter, amongst the crowd waiting to be seated, as my friend paid the bill. A brief apology was given as the waiter walked away.

The only positives from this experience was a very helpful woman on the door who booked us a table an gave us a bleeper to call us back when it was ready, only 10 mins later.

My friend's salad was very nice, but she was told she had to pay for the parma ham she asked not to be served with it as she is vegetarian!

The wine excellent.

Unfortunately a restaurant needs efficient staff to back up the food. Whoever is doing the staff training there needs to go back to school themselves. For the record, I do work in catering.

Ruth Malcolm
Saturday, July 19, 2014

Walk-in for a Monday lunch with the family. Welcome was great and we had good feelings to go with the prior high expectations. Oh dear. The service was really poor, slow and had to be reminded many times to take orders to bring orders to take repeat drinks orders (Please can I order some more drinks again?!) - I would think people buying drinks, even wine by the glass and water - would be looked after. On the plus side the food was lovely, just had a simple meat platter and a couple of kids meals, it was all good except the olives which I thought were not as good as you can buy from somewhere like Tesco's. Overall we were disappointed but if the service was as good as the welcome it would be great.

Andy - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Very noisy, staff disinterested and portions would not keep Jamie's schoolchildren happy for very long. Distressingly expensive for what is essentially a menu of starters, none of which you couldn't find for a quarter of the price at a real Italian restaurant within a 100 metres.

Ted Graham
Tuesday, August 06, 2013

A real disappointment particularly after a great experience in Jamie's Italian in Portsmouth several months earlier. We started with a bottle of Prosseco which was warm and had to be sent back. The home made spaghetti with crab was undercooked and dry... quite revolting. Our kids had the burgers. The service was friendly but disinterested. The restaurant is a great idea but the delivery is very sadly lacking.

The whole experience marred what was meant to be special and long awaited family celebration in London. Definitely will not not be recommending to friends!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Four of us ate at Jamie's Italian last night - what a disappointment! My white wine was warm so I asked for a cold glass, only to have another brought at the same temperature so I gave up. The crispy squid was simply oily squid and the main was little better. At £50/head there are many very much better choices in Covent Garden.

David
Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I visited Jamie's yesterday with my friend. The atmosphere is lovely. Our waitress Stephanie was very friendly and attentive. She explained all the dishes to us and we didn't have to wait long for the drink and food to arrive. I had chicken with olive and tomato sauce and my friend had canelloni with wild mushrooms and ricotta - both very tasty and fresh. My only disappointment was the portion size - they really are tiny - one main dish is not enough if you are hungry. Jamie you need to do something about that.

Dana - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I visited Jamies Italian in covent garden on sunday 25th nov, the food was amazing, the atmosphere was wonderful, the only downfall was the price. It cost £121 for a meal for three with two drinks each, i know you would expect to pay a bit more but i was amazed how much it cost, If we had thought on we should have checked prices on the internet before we went, I would not have gone and would not rush back, it was so expensive.

Wendy
Monday, November 26, 2012

Took my family only a view days ago and was sadly disappointed. Maybe I had too high expectations. Food was ok but nothing special. Prices were normal for London but the service was a litttle rushed. Frankly I don't think we will return as there are so many other places which offer better value for money, pity!

Peter Wright - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, November 14, 2012

We've eaten at different Jamie's on a number of occasions, but this time we were left extremely disappointed, and with a bad taste in the mouth.

Our table was booked for 4.45pm, and it became clear that this was when a change of shift occurred for their staff.

Whilst we had no specifically horrific experience, the whole experience fell well short of expectations. Food was pretty much thrown at us. If we asked questions, the replies were short and the staff would rush off before we could respond to their reply.

Whilst the food was as good as it normally is, and that's good. It would have been nice to have been offered Parmesan cheese on our pasta dishes though.

The service was akin to what I would expect at the checkout at Poundland.

JR
Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Stumbled across Jamie's restaurant in covent gardens - amazing - great atmosphere and staff were fab. We spent around £60 for starter, mains and a bottle of wine, plenty on your plate :) The flavours were perfect something my partner won't stop talking about! We live in Cornwall and we just wish there was another restaurant closer than Bath!

Hannah Rowlings