Jamie's Italian (Covent Garden)

St. Martin's Courtyard, Upper St. Martin's Lane, London, WC2H 9DL - View on a map

Jamie's Italian (Covent Garden) Restaurant In London

I've simply had my best Italian food in London here (despite Jamie not being Italian) -- it was delicious. The menu is unique and contains a lot of carefully-crafted choices.

The service was friendly, and the atmosphere (downstairs especially) quite pleasant. The prices are only slightly above the average Italian restaurant in the area. Tipping is at your discretion. Beware that this restaurant doesn't take bookings and is very crowded, so you might have to wait to get a table.

Everett - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My first visit here as a guest of my friend, who lives locally, was an embarrassment for her, me and I hope the restaurant staff.

The service was amateurish, young people who didn't listen to the order, got so close to you it was embarrassing, and didn't seem to be working to the same system as their colleagues. One actually said they didn't all use the same numbers for the tables!

My friend had been before and had problems with orders, but it was resolved, our incident was not so well handled- the kitchen had run out of ingredients for my carpaccio salad but sent the dish out anyway, without telling the waiters. The young man serving us was at a loss how to deal with it, and no-one else seemed interested. I was allowed to order another dish which was calamari, very average, some of it very tough. I was then offered a sweet on the house, but not my friend!

We waited an age for the bill and ended up standing near the counter, amongst the crowd waiting to be seated, as my friend paid the bill. A brief apology was given as the waiter walked away.

The only positives from this experience was a very helpful woman on the door who booked us a table an gave us a bleeper to call us back when it was ready, only 10 mins later.

My friend's salad was very nice, but she was told she had to pay for the parma ham she asked not to be served with it as she is vegetarian!

The wine excellent.

Unfortunately a restaurant needs efficient staff to back up the food. Whoever is doing the staff training there needs to go back to school themselves. For the record, I do work in catering.

Ruth Malcolm
Saturday, July 19, 2014

Walk-in for a Monday lunch with the family. Welcome was great and we had good feelings to go with the prior high expectations. Oh dear. The service was really poor, slow and had to be reminded many times to take orders to bring orders to take repeat drinks orders (Please can I order some more drinks again?!) - I would think people buying drinks, even wine by the glass and water - would be looked after. On the plus side the food was lovely, just had a simple meat platter and a couple of kids meals, it was all good except the olives which I thought were not as good as you can buy from somewhere like Tesco's. Overall we were disappointed but if the service was as good as the welcome it would be great.

Andy - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Very noisy, staff disinterested and portions would not keep Jamie's schoolchildren happy for very long. Distressingly expensive for what is essentially a menu of starters, none of which you couldn't find for a quarter of the price at a real Italian restaurant within a 100 metres.

Ted Graham
Tuesday, August 06, 2013

A real disappointment particularly after a great experience in Jamie's Italian in Portsmouth several months earlier. We started with a bottle of Prosseco which was warm and had to be sent back. The home made spaghetti with crab was undercooked and dry... quite revolting. Our kids had the burgers. The service was friendly but disinterested. The restaurant is a great idea but the delivery is very sadly lacking.

The whole experience marred what was meant to be special and long awaited family celebration in London. Definitely will not not be recommending to friends!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Four of us ate at Jamie's Italian last night - what a disappointment! My white wine was warm so I asked for a cold glass, only to have another brought at the same temperature so I gave up. The crispy squid was simply oily squid and the main was little better. At £50/head there are many very much better choices in Covent Garden.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I visited Jamie's yesterday with my friend. The atmosphere is lovely. Our waitress Stephanie was very friendly and attentive. She explained all the dishes to us and we didn't have to wait long for the drink and food to arrive. I had chicken with olive and tomato sauce and my friend had canelloni with wild mushrooms and ricotta - both very tasty and fresh. My only disappointment was the portion size - they really are tiny - one main dish is not enough if you are hungry. Jamie you need to do something about that.

Dana - View all reviews by this user